Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £1million profit from the Liverpool match

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2017/december/record-day-off-the-pitch/

It might not have been the best day on the pitch for Brighton & Hove Albion last Saturday, when the club entertained Liverpool at the American Express Community Stadium, but off it, the club posted a record profit for a single match.

The Seagulls’ soared through the £1m profit barrier for a single match for the first time ever, thanks to an Amex-record crowd of 30,634, which produced record gate receipts, a record number of diners enjoying pre-match hospitality in the 1901 Club and matchday restaurants, and further large increases in sales of club merchandise.

It was also the highest-ever catering spend per head in the stadium, across all bars, kiosks and lounges, and Albion chief executive Paul Barber said, “While we were all left disappointed by the result on the pitch - it was a consolation to review the business performance on Monday morning.

“Our teams worked incredibly hard to get ready for the Liverpool match, on the back of the midweek match here, and then our catering and hospitality team also turned around the 1901 Club ready for that evening’s Christmas parties in the various 1901 Club lounges.

“Meanwhile, our club merchandise sales have continued to soar. We have now sold more than 3,000 replica shirts since they went back on sale on the morning of our match with Stoke City, and our final supply of home shirts will now go on sale for Christmas. Our fans have absolutely fantastic in making this season’s shirt the most popular and biggest selling shirt in the club’s history.

“It’s hugely encouraging to see these results, and it goes to underline just how positive an impact Premier League football is having on the club - not to mention the city of Brighton & Hove, where we know that, in addition to our own business growth, hotels, restaurants and bars are benefitting from bigger crowds and more visitors from outside the city.”

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I couldn’t make it so put my tickets on the club exchange. Mate said they were sold but I have had zero confirmation from the club. There is some of the million :bigwave:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I bought 2 more pints than usual so like to think it was that that pushed it over the £1mill mark :albion2:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
You see 3pm Saturday kick offs are the most profitable

You beat me to it G. We should have more of them.

That works out at about £33 per head for every man, woman and child who attended.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2017/december/record-day-off-the-pitch/

It might not have been the best day on the pitch for Brighton & Hove Albion last Saturday, when the club entertained Liverpool at the American Express Community Stadium, but off it, the club posted a record profit for a single match.

The Seagulls’ soared through the £1m profit barrier for a single match for the first time ever, thanks to an Amex-record crowd of 30,634, which produced record gate receipts, a record number of diners enjoying pre-match hospitality in the 1901 Club and matchday restaurants, and further large increases in sales of club merchandise.

It was also the highest-ever catering spend per head in the stadium, across all bars, kiosks and lounges, and Albion chief executive Paul Barber said, “While we were all left disappointed by the result on the pitch - it was a consolation to review the business performance on Monday morning.

“Our teams worked incredibly hard to get ready for the Liverpool match, on the back of the midweek match here, and then our catering and hospitality team also turned around the 1901 Club ready for that evening’s Christmas parties in the various 1901 Club lounges.

“Meanwhile, our club merchandise sales have continued to soar. We have now sold more than 3,000 replica shirts since they went back on sale on the morning of our match with Stoke City, and our final supply of home shirts will now go on sale for Christmas. Our fans have absolutely fantastic in making this season’s shirt the most popular and biggest selling shirt in the club’s history.

“It’s hugely encouraging to see these results, and it goes to underline just how positive an impact Premier League football is having on the club - not to mention the city of Brighton & Hove, where we know that, in addition to our own business growth, hotels, restaurants and bars are benefitting from bigger crowds and more visitors from outside the city.”

Pathetic ludicrous spin, even by PB spin standards. I'll wager that 90% of punters outside of the North never ever reached the front of the catering queue. And most punters would have been unable to buy the shirt of their choice on the day.

Might be wrong, but would we by any chance be approaching that point in the season where PB annual performance bonus gets decided?

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think there's a bit of muddling in the club statement.

£1m income would seem more appropriate, given that profit is income less costs, I don't see how the club would have had a million left over after paying wages, stewarding, transport, electricity etc.

To put it in context though, in the year the club was last promoted to the top flight (1978/9) total income for the whole year was £979,000, less than was generated from the Liverpool game last weekend.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Does this include any revenue generated by Mo Salah autographs?

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I couldn’t make it so put my tickets on the club exchange. Mate said they were sold but I have had zero confirmation from the club. There is some of the million :bigwave:

You dont get any confirmation the seat has sold but just expect a voucher in the post. Mine turned up today for the Liverpool game I sold on the exchange

Enjoy spending some of the millions !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I'll wager that 90% of punters outside of the North never ever reached the front of the catering queue.

Ha !
If anything the queues (in WSU) - at least pre-match are now modest across multiple bars, stalls, and were on Saturday.

Jan 30, 2008

PURE PROPAGANDA you wouldn't expect anything else, take it all with a pinch of salt , best not get relegated this season
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here