Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nigel Adkins Hull Manager

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Yup, our favorite physio is back in football and is the new manager of Hull City.

Why is anyone still appointing this bloke as a manager? Why aren't decent young managers like Nathan Jones being given a chance to see what they can do at this level?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yup, our favorite physio is back in football and is the new manager of Hull City.

Why is anyone still appointing this bloke as a manager? Why aren't decent young managers like Nathan Jones being given a chance to see what they can do at this level?

Playing devils advocate, what has Nathan Jones actually done yet? (Apart from failing to get one of the pre-season favourites promoted last season).

(I do think it'll happen this season, and I do think Jones will prove to be a good manager)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Playing devils advocate, what has Nathan Jones actually done yet? (Apart from failing to get one of the pre-season favourites promoted last season).

They are top of their league, and the highest scorers in all the leagues (scored 6 or 7 FOUR times already??), despite losing their main striker in the summer, with a decent number of youth players playing and contributing significantly.

His name is well noted by bigger clubs, I'd say.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The reason Adkins is at Hull City is because he's desperate to be in work again, and will take any job, even if the average lifetime span of staying in a job with such a shambles of a club is about 6 hours 32 minutes.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

(I do think it'll happen this season, and I do think Jones will prove to be a good manager)

I didn't mean Jones specifically, there are loads of good managers down the leagues who deserve a shot, Kevin Nolan at Notts County, Flitcroft at Swindon, Ainsworth at Wycombe, Mark Robins at Coventry, Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury even Uwe Rosler at Fleetwood.

Adkins has done nothing since his decent spell at Southampton, couldn't get a Reading team that were relegated from the Prem to challenge, and finished in Sheff Utd's worst position since 1983! Following season they won the league.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I didn't mean Jones specifically, there are loads of good managers down the leagues who deserve a shot, Kevin Nolan at Notts County, Flitcroft at Swindon, Ainsworth at Wycombe, Mark Robins at Coventry, Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury even Uwe Rosler at Fleetwood.

Adkins has done nothing since his decent spell at Southampton, couldn't get a Reading team that were relegated from the Prem to challenge, and finished in Sheff Utd's worst position since 1983! Following season they won the league.

I'd wager it's the same sort of thinking which prevents any decent English player in the Championship from being called up for England duty.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd wager it's the same sort of thinking which prevents any decent English player in the Championship from being called up for England duty.

If they were THAT decent then they wouldn't be in the Championship.

Any player called up for International duty ideally needs to be playing week-in, week out against top quality opposition, not against Burton or Hull. Otherwise you might as well be Wales.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Once your in the manager merry go round some mug will always employ you, SC at Brum is a fine example, always failed at championship level yet the brain dead owners think he's the man for the job. Football never ceases to surprise Adkins had one decent spell with a very good side struggled everywhere else he's been Hull fans must be in dispair.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If they were THAT decent then they wouldn't be in the Championship.

Any player called up for International duty ideally needs to be playing week-in, week out against top quality opposition, not against Burton or Hull. Otherwise you might as well be Wales.

Yeah there's some truth in that. But the team that lost to Iceland a few years ago had thousands of Premier League appearances between them. Would a team made of players from the Championship have done any worse? Maybe, but I sometimes feel they should be given the chance rather than someone like Jack Wilshere getting called up despite playing about 13 minutes of football for an entire season.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah there's some truth in that. But the team that lost to Iceland a few years ago had thousands of Premier League appearances between them. Would a team made of players from the Championship have done any worse? Maybe, but I sometimes feel they should be given the chance rather than someone like Jack Wilshere getting called up despite playing about 13 minutes of football for an entire season.

I agree with you to a point, but once we are in a tournament, England have that innate ability to screw up against all manner of less than moderate opposition. We're flat-track bullies who always qualify with ease, but as soon as the pressure is on in a tournament, we fold faster than Superman on laundry day. And I don't think an England team containing players from the Championship would be any different - in fact, we probably wouldn't even qualify. Look at all the other home nations who are forced to draw on loads of players who do not ply their trade at the top level. They're nowhere.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Always better to get someone who has failed before than take a risk on someone who might fail in the future!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I agree with you to a point, but once we are in a tournament, England have that innate ability to screw up against all manner of less than moderate opposition. We're flat-track bullies who always qualify with ease, but as soon as the pressure is on in a tournament, we fold faster than Superman on laundry day. And I don't think an England team containing players from the Championship would be any different - in fact, we probably wouldn't even qualify. Look at all the other home nations who are forced to draw on loads of players who do not ply their trade at the top level. They're nowhere.

Yeah can't argue with that. I just think how dejecting it must be for players who would kill to play for their country to have to watch the same miserable chancers fail every single time and have to watch it knowing they'll never be given the chance to prove everyone wrong.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

No they would n't have ... they would have loved that game and risen to the challenge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here