Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Big Six dilemma

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This has been brought up on numerous other threads, but it came up on the radio yesterday evening, so let’s continue the debate.

After reading Andy Naylor’s Argus piece yesterday, I’ve come round to the idea that we should ‘use the squad’ more in future matches against the top six, especially when there are more obviously winnable games soon afterwards. Spurs at Wembley is the next obvious example.

Previously my opinion was that big defeats would be bad for morale and our goal difference, but if everyone accepts that any big defeats suffered as a consequence are just the price to be paid for the strategy, then it shouldn’t affect the mood in the camp too negatively.

And it’s also just possible that the results might not be as dire as expected. Fringe players who get to start, such as Hunemeier, Kayal, Goldson, Rosenior, Murphy, Schelotto, Baldock etc might well raise their game and show what playing in the Premier Lesgue means to them in a way that they didn’t in the League Cup and whatever that other competition was called. Moreover, of course, they get the game time that they lack at the moment and is one reason why they aren’t ready to step in now.

I’m not suggesting that we rest the entire first team at Wembley. That would be like waving a white flag, and a definite slap in the face to the players selected, not to mention the travelling fans. But giving Duffy, Stephens and Propper a much-needed night off might be a start.

As for goal difference, that is worth only one point either way, and if resting players enables us to win a future game we might otherwise draw, we’re already a point up on the deal.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Burnley best Chelsea. Huddersfield beat United. Brighton deserved at least a point at Old Trafford. Palace beat Chelsea. Swansea drew at Wembley...

Brighton need points to stay up! We have a slight chance verses the top 6, don't throw that away by playing the reserves. What good will a confidence shattering 6-0 do? I understand Liverpool just did this to our first team, but that's the first time all season we've revieced a thrashing. Picking uo a few draws and maybe sneaking a win could be difference of finishing 18th or 17th.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This has been brought up on numerous other threads, but it came up on the radio yesterday evening, so let’s continue the debate.

After reading Andy Naylor’s Argus piece yesterday, I’ve come round to the idea that we should ‘use the squad’ more in future matches against the top six, especially when there are more obviously winnable games soon afterwards. Spurs at Wembley is the next obvious example.

Previously my opinion was that big defeats would be bad for morale and our goal difference, but if everyone accepts that any big defeats suffered as a consequence are just the price to be paid for the strategy, then it shouldn’t affect the mood in the camp too negatively.

And it’s also just possible that the results might not be as dire as expected. Fringe players who get to start, such as Hunemeier, Kayal, Goldson, Rosenior, Murphy, Schelotto, Baldock etc might well raise their game and show what playing in the Premier Lesgue means to them in a way that they didn’t in the League Cup and whatever that other competition was called. Moreover, of course, they get the game time that they lack at the moment and is one reason why they aren’t ready to step in now.

I’m not suggesting that we rest the entire first team at Wembley. That would be like waving a white flag, and a definite slap in the face to the players selected, not to mention the travelling fans. But giving Duffy, Stephens and Propper a much-needed night off might be a start.

As for goal difference, that is worth only one point either way, and if resting players enables us to win a future game we might otherwise draw, we’re already a point up on the deal.

Its a difficult one.

And I can not decide''

I would like to say play our best starting 11 at all times subject to fitness. Do you try and ensure some extra points by resting the best for say the top 6 games? Not fair on the players, some may understand others wont and fair enough. I agree goal difference doesn't matter (I hope)

I dunno too many variables

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
For me it is about the proximity of the games. The players looked tired on Saturday and regardless of opposition, it is hard for some of the players to perform at their very best for 3 games in 8 days in the Premier League. We nearly got something at United and that would have given a massive boost to the players and the club, but as it goes we didn't get any points.

We do need to rest some of the players when we are playing so many games together and with the Christmas fixtures it will be interesting to see what CH does. But agree we need to make sure we win the winnable games but be competitive in the other games. Would have thought Hemed could have started one of the last 3 games to give GM a rest.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
The best players in the squad have earned their place in the Premier League and have earned the right to play Spurs, Chelsea etc. Sidelining then for a ‘well earned rest’ may be perceived as denying them the fruits of their labour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The best players in the squad have earned their place in the Premier League and have earned the right to play Spurs, Chelsea etc. Sidelining then for a ‘well earned rest’ may be perceived as denying them the fruits of their labour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, how pissed off are our best players going to be if they are dropped for games against the top six? Pretty pissed I imagine and who can be sure it won’t detract from the great team spirit we currently have?

Can’t agree with Naylor on this.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No. Play the team that will give the opposition the most difficulties every week, only rotate when the clubs sport science department tells the manager that a player is at risk of injury. 38 league games is not unreasonable.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Take a match at a time.

The game vs Huddersfield is a 7-pointer ( 6 + goal difference ), so the strongest XI must start.

Yellow cards could then mean a suspension for Duffy or Murray anyway v Spurs.

The wingers rotate currently; Bong and Suttner are pretty much interchangeable.

Big questions though over rotation for Bruno, Pröpper and Stephens.

I'd resurrect the Stephens-Kayal partnership v Spurs, and give Bruno a rest as well.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm really against the thought of playing fringe players against top teams to rest the so called better players , how does that make that player feel confidence wise if he knows he will only get a game when the manager reckons we are going to get beat anyway , nah don't like that at all , i'd rather he used the squad a bit more as it is , Kayal is more than capable along with Goldson Hemed Baldock Suttner Schelotto to step in at anytime , not just when we happen to be playing a top 6 team , we have a squad , use them as a squad not as a duck shoot , not only that it's a piss take to the supporters that have paid their money , i'm pretty sure the ticket page will not say prices today are only a quid because we will lose as we're playing our no hopers .

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Also - surely if all us "lesser" teams just put out weakened sides against the "big six" all that will happen is that the gap will become wider. Surely, we all ought to be trying to beat the bigger teams to keep the Premier League as competitive as possible?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Also - surely if all us "lesser" teams just put out weakened sides against the "big six" all that will happen is that the gap will become wider. Surely, we all ought to be trying to beat the bigger teams to keep the Premier League as competitive as possible?
Keeping the league as competitive as possible isn't our job - our job is finishing 17th. or above, end of story. We're not in this league to be good sports or to make friends by playing open attacking football and losing pluckily!
The strategy of resting players against the big 6 is an interesting one - if you could guarantee that it would result in us finishing 17th. or above after 38 games, I'd go for it. Trouble is, although it's an interesting strategy, I'm not sufficiently convinced it would work; it would be a big gamble.
Which leads me to this thought: How much of a gambler is CH? I don't think we'll be trying it...........

SAC

May 21, 2014
What is the point of being in the Premier League if you are not going to pick your strongest team and try to get at least a point from a match?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
But Spurs is winnable (or 'drawable', at least).

On current form, I'd say this is our best chance of a top six point. For whatever reason Spurs have been lack lustre at home against lower half opposition, both B'muff and Palace should have got something from their games and WBA did (did Swansea also get a point there too?).

scooter1

How soon is now?
We failed to get promoted a couple of years back, and could easily be relegated on goal difference - this is key.. and unless a player is fatigued to the point of injury or is injured we should play our strongest starting 11. Granted some of our fringe players are not good enough, but as a promoted team that's no surprise(and I suspect there are teams in the bottom 10 who feel the same about their 'squad' players)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
We failed to get promoted a couple of years back, and could easily be relegated on goal difference - this is key.. and unless a player is fatigued to the point of injury or is injured we should play our strongest starting 11. Granted some of our fringe players are not good enough, but as a promoted team that's no surprise(and I suspect there are teams in the bottom 10 who feel the same about their 'squad' players)

I hope it doesn't come back to bite me but goal difference doesnt concern me right now. It depends obviously how CH wants to play it, if he rotates and rests players then there's a lot of psychology involved I guess. No one wants to get 'dropped' or miss the 'big' games, I dunno

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Playing them away use the squad at home the best 11 .. oh hang on lose one nil away at MU ..5/1 at home to Liverpool...i’ll Think again

Just maybe the approach will differ in the second half of the season

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here