Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Cloud Storage

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I've just noticed Amazon are ending their unlimited storage offering for Amazon Drive. My bill for next year has risen from £50 to £240 for 3Tb or storage.

Can anyone recommend another service? Given Google Drive is £80 a month, perhaps £240 is not unreasonable, but the near 500% increase rather grates.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BT 'give' me 1TB with my Infinity broadband.... so I have filled it up with stuff! No idea what it would cost if I was paying for it directly - but it seems to work very well.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
These cloud set ups worry me.
I read this week that one company has said if subscriptions are not paid then all your stuff on their cloud will just disappear.
Supposing something happens in your life that payments can't be made for say 6 months. Seems like you would lose everything they are storing.
Perhaps I am reading all this wrongly??!!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I've just noticed Amazon are ending their unlimited storage offering for Amazon Drive. My bill for next year has risen from £50 to £240 for 3Tb or storage.

Can anyone recommend another service? Given Google Drive is £80 a month, perhaps £240 is not unreasonable, but the near 500% increase rather grates.

Blimey do you need 3TB? If you can cope with 1TB dropbox is 6.50 a month

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
These cloud set ups worry me.
I read this week that one company has said if subscriptions are not paid then all your stuff on their cloud will just disappear.
Supposing something happens in your life that payments can't be made for say 6 months. Seems like you would lose everything they are storing.
Perhaps I am reading all this wrongly??!!

I don't really see what is wrong with that. Don't make your payments be it on a cloud/a car/mortgage then you are going to get repossesed

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

If you do need 3TB I cant think of anywhere that would do it for 20 quid a month

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Never used but 5TB 15 quid a month....
https://www2.livedrive.com/ForHome

I would hate to transfer 3TB of data though

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Blimey do you need 3TB? If you can cope with 1TB dropbox is 6.50 a month

The RAW files from the Nikon D800 take up a lot of space - 50Mb per photo.

Amazon Drive Usage

Photos, videos and files

2.27 TB used/Unlimited

208623 Photos 1.47 TB
13765 Videos 696 GB
74108 Files 132 GB

I'm thinking of investing in a new NAS device instead, but seems a step backwards and has its own drawbacks.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Do you actually need access to that much data or is it just a backup?
We use a WD MyCloud on our home network and my wife has her business files on local external drives which are backed up on a cloud service. Not sure which one she uses though.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The RAW files from the Nikon D800 take up a lot of space - 50Mb per photo.

Amazon Drive Usage

Photos, videos and files

2.27 TB used/Unlimited

208623 Photos 1.47 TB
13765 Videos 696 GB
74108 Files 132 GB

I'm thinking of investing in a new NAS device instead, but seems a step backwards and has its own drawbacks.

Cant you compress them or too much hassle?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't really see what is wrong with that. Don't make your payments be it on a cloud/a car/mortgage then you are going to get repossesed

they are sold or at least many use the cloud as a backup service. a service that wipes your data upon non-payment is not a backup service. people should not rely on cloud services for backups, unless they have another copy somewhere (USB being the obvious one).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Cheap cheap looks alright

Worth noting $0.02/GB to download data.

Yes, agreed. Although in an ideal world hopefully not much downloading will need to take place! Having said that it's a small price to pay if you get a serious loss of data on your only local drive!

Whilst I'm here, BackBlaze offers a by mail service whereas you pay for a HD to be sent to you, you fill it with data, return it, and they refund the HD cost. Valuable timesaver. :)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
they are sold or at least many use the cloud as a backup service. a service that wipes your data upon non-payment is not a backup service. people should not rely on cloud services for backups, unless they have another copy somewhere (USB being the obvious one).

Do they actually wipe the data though or make it unaccessable until due payment is made for a while?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

My backup strategy is
Dropbox for ease of use
2x USB drives backed up weekly for resilience, one kept off site.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Do they actually wipe the data though or make it unaccessable until due payment is made for a while?

i dont know, but do you want to find out...?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
My backup strategy is
Dropbox for ease of use
2x USB drives backed up weekly for resilience, one kept off site.

thats the spirit.
though my backup strategy is shamefully a copy of EaseUS... afraid i dont practice what i preach because after a day of it i cant be arsed with home IT. i sense a full backup tonight as i tempt fate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here