Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UK rail passengers face biggest rise for five years

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
UK rail fares will rise by 3.4% on January 2 – the largest increase for five years, train companies have announced.

Fares for all journeys in 2018 have been published, showing an average rise slightly below the 3.6% set by the government in August for regulated fares, which include season tickets.

However, passengers in the north of England will see average fares rise even faster. Northern, run by Arriva, is putting up prices overall by 4.7%, while TransPennine Express fares will rise by 4.6%.

Rail operators said the national figure showed that the industry was attempting to keep down the cost of travel."

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yep [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] - I'm fast coming to that conclusion. This could be the breaking point for me and London.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Same story every year.

:rant:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Rail users = ordinary people.

Ordinary people = get f*cked over.

Ordinary people getting ****ed over = The Tories doing it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why do people spend many hours every day, decade after decade, commuting to London?

It just seems to give endless melancholy about fares, unions, operators and sundry delays/cancellations.

Shirley life's too short.

Because I work there (smoke). And I could not buy a house anywhere near London in 89. Then I got ****ed over by the Lawson boooom and bust, massive interest rates, negative equity... "you may not like the tories for their social policies, but they certainly know how to nurture the economy". Do they ****. FFS. Shower of charlatan second hand car dealing euro-obsessed knobwomble*****. By and large.

And here I am, still.

But all is paid off and my pension reaches full froth next September, so if the HoD, nutjob south east rail, and all, piss me off too much, then I'm off. :flounce::flounce::flounce:

:lolol:punk::thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Because I work there (smoke). And I could not buy a house anywhere near London in 89. Then I got ****ed over by the Lawson boooom and bust, massive interest rates, negative equity... "you may not like the tories for their social policies, but they certainly know how to nurture the economy". Do they ****. FFS. Shower of charlatan second hand car dealing euro-obsessed knobwomble*****. By and large.

And here I am, still.

But all is paid off and my pension reaches full froth next September, so if the HoD, nutjob south east rail, and all, piss me off too much, then I'm off. :flounce::flounce::flounce:

:lolol:punk::thumbsup:

Quite predatory that was [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] - masterful.:thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Did we not get an annual increase in rail fares under the last Labour government?

Yes and Claire Short wanted to take Railtrack back in the public domain, they went bust........

No UK Government will ever reverse privatisation now so we are stuck with it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did we not get an annual increase in rail fares under the last Labour government?

You may not have noticed but before the last labour government, the tories privatised the railways, and allowd them to set their own prices. Prestcott wanted to renationalise but found that Major had burned all the bridges. Who would have known?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
You may not have noticed but before the last labour government, the tories privatised the railways, and allowd them to set their own prices. Prestcott wanted to renationalise but found that Major had burned all the bridges. Who would have known?

True, the trouble with rail price rises is do you think we should still be paying 6 1/2 pence to go to London or whatever it used to cost?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I thoroughly enjoy commuting- so i tell myself

& the wife considers my journey home a luzury of free time..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why do people spend many hours every day, decade after decade, commuting to London?

It just seems to give endless melancholy about fares, unions, operators and sundry delays/cancellations.

the money dear boy, the money. and if we went by car we'd moan about petrol, traffic, accidents etc.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Some haven't got a choice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True, the trouble with rail price rises is do you think we should still be paying 6 1/2 pence to go to London or whatever it used to cost?

Sorry pal, you've lost me there.... my point was the rail fair increases were not stoppable by labour. I said nothing about your half pence thingy. My opinion is, wrt your question, six and a half pence is probably too low a fare. Nine pence is fairer. Fair enough?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Moaning about the railways has always gone on. Former colleagues of mine commuted in the 70's and 80's, and despised ASLEF, NUR and British Rail with a passion. Told stories of 'white collar' showdowns by angry City workers en masse telling railway staff to f**k off and also challenging them over industrial action.

The only positive was it was a cheap crappy service then.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Moaning about the railways has always gone on. Former colleagues of mine commuted in the 70's and 80's, and despised ASLEF, NUR and British Rail with a passion. Told stories of 'white collar' showdowns by angry City workers en masse telling railway staff to f**k off and also challenging them over industrial action.

The only positive was it was a cheap crappy service then.

Marvellous days

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here