Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] My music documentary - THE WEDDING PRESENT : SOMETHING LEFT BEHIND

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Hi,

I know there are a few fans of the band "The Wedding Present" on here and I have cleared everything with Bozza to stick up a quick plug for my film about them.
Fans of music and documentary in general may also be interested but if not, feel free to look away now...

NSC_Main1.jpg

You can find out more and watch a trailer here:
FILM WEBSITE

FILM FACEBOOK
FILM TWITTER

In short, SOMETHING LEFT BEHIND is a new feature documentary that tells the story of The Wedding Present's much-heralded 1987 debut album, "George Best", and explores the 30-year lifespan of a record that has come to define youth for so many.

The band originally formed in Leeds and the film features all 4 of the original members who recorded the album in 1987 (including one from Brighton) as well as the current lineup and a number of key players and famous faces in the record’s history.
The film also follows the album’s life-story through the eyes of the fans who have grown old alongside it and additionally has a special appearance by the very inspiration behind these most personal of lyrics; providing a fascinating alternate view of the story behind the album.

I have been filming it for nearly 12 months all over the world now, building up to the final ever performance of the album in full at the Leeds 02 Academy this Saturday (9th Dec). I am currently running a Kickstarter campaign to help cover the upcoming post-production costs and securing the music rights etc. Up until now I have been ploughing every penny I earn into the black hole of film production.

If anyone is in a position to help it would be hugely appreciated and there are a number of reward options on offer. Just spreading the word and sharing the campaign online would also be hugely appreciated. It has 15 days left to run, so any extra publicity at this critical point would be excellent... As in this piece I did for the Yorkshire Evening Post as well as some much longer interviews in a couple of music mags for anyone who is really interested!

NSC_YEP.jpeg

As a final note... I actually went back to the exact spot that the film idea really began in my head 11 years ago to film the crowdfunding video. That place being the away terrace at Yeovil Town. We lost 2-0 that night, it was awful!

Thanks for reading, those that are interested...
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

boik

I have set a reminder to contribute next week when I should have some dosh. Really looking forward to seeing the film - still one of my all-time favourite albums. Good luck, hope you make the target, and then make a return on the finished film.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I have set a reminder to contribute next week when I should have some dosh. Really looking forward to seeing the film - still one of my all-time favourite albums. Good luck, hope you make the target, and then make a return on the finished film.

Ha! This was never going to be a film to make a return on. Raising enough budget to get it finished and out in the way I want it will do for me...
Thanks for the interest. I really appreciate the support.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Got the re-recorded version last month.
Glorious.
I'm utterly skint but I'll scratch together a few quid towards this worthwhile project.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Got the re-recorded version last month.
Glorious.
I'm utterly skint but I'll scratch together a few quid towards this worthwhile project.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
Currently listening to today's interviewee for the film on 6Music... a strange feeling while going over their questions for later!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
For anyone who may have been interested in this, there are just 6 days left to help finish this film now.

The band played the album for the final ever time in Leeds on Saturday night. A spectacular night that will live long in the memory. As will the 9 hour drive home through the snow the following day.

Live filming has now finished but there are still more interviews to film in the coming month. On a personal note, I'm particularly excited to get to interview Nick Frost and stage a pretend gun fight with him "Spaced" style!

It's been a massive undertaking making this film and if you can help in any way at all or just spread the word it would be hugely appreciated.

Leeds_Singalong copy.jpg

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Can I add, this band is certainly part of my youth. Fell in love with them in 1986, bought the album the day it came out in 87 and played it at least twice a day for the next 18mths. Have been a fan and have bought every album since! Seen them a number of times in recent years at The Forum, as it's my local and I'm part of it, they've been great every time. (The last show wasn't the best though, as they were performing a new album and nobody new the words.) I'm looking forward to the show in February as they'll perform Tommy in it's entirety!

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
5 minutes after booking tickets to watch Hurricane#1 in Doncaster in Feb in notice Weddo's are playing in Sheffield. Nevermind seen Wedding Present a few times before and never seen Hurricane#1 live before

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Hi,

I know there are a few fans of the band "The Wedding Present" on here and I have cleared everything with Bozza to stick up a quick plug for my film about them.
Fans of music and documentary in general may also be interested but if not, feel free to look away now...

View attachment 91690

You can find out more and watch a trailer here:
FILM WEBSITE

FILM FACEBOOK
FILM TWITTER

In short, SOMETHING LEFT BEHIND is a new feature documentary that tells the story of The Wedding Present's much-heralded 1987 debut album, "George Best", and explores the 30-year lifespan of a record that has come to define youth for so many.

The band originally formed in Leeds and the film features all 4 of the original members who recorded the album in 1987 (including one from Brighton) as well as the current lineup and a number of key players and famous faces in the record’s history.
The film also follows the album’s life-story through the eyes of the fans who have grown old alongside it and additionally has a special appearance by the very inspiration behind these most personal of lyrics; providing a fascinating alternate view of the story behind the album.

I have been filming it for nearly 12 months all over the world now, building up to the final ever performance of the album in full at the Leeds 02 Academy this Saturday (9th Dec). I am currently running a Kickstarter campaign to help cover the upcoming post-production costs and securing the music rights etc. Up until now I have been ploughing every penny I earn into the black hole of film production.

If anyone is in a position to help it would be hugely appreciated and there are a number of reward options on offer. Just spreading the word and sharing the campaign online would also be hugely appreciated. It has 15 days left to run, so any extra publicity at this critical point would be excellent... As in this piece I did for the Yorkshire Evening Post as well as some much longer interviews in a couple of music mags for anyone who is really interested!

View attachment 91689

As a final note... I actually went back to the exact spot that the film idea really began in my head 11 years ago to film the crowdfunding video. That place being the away terrace at Yeovil Town. We lost 2-0 that night, it was awful!

Thanks for reading, those that are interested...
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Was it you filming at the Northampton gig last Friday? If I'd known you were an Albion can I'd have come and said hello!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Same here, just pledged and will hopefully take a photo with Gedge at the Forum show in TW. Will you be there Manintheblackpajamas?

Thanks so much. It's been a hell of a year making this. I am off to Istanbul in a few hours to catch up with them again.
I probably won't be at Tunbridge Wells as the edit will be in full swing then. If you get your photo in very quickly after that gig it will be okay but it is quite tight. Obviously an Albion fan allowance will come into play though!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Was it you filming at the Northampton gig last Friday? If I'd known you were an Albion can I'd have come and said hello!

Yes, that was me. Wasn't overly keen on him getting me to stand up on stage!
But in fairness he announced the film during the gig every night of the last 4 shows (including Leeds) and it has really helped the crowdfunding.

Shame we didn't get to say hi. Maybe at a film screening next year...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, that was me. Wasn't overly keen on him getting me to stand up on stage!
But in fairness he announced the film during the gig every night of the last 4 shows (including Leeds) and it has really helped the crowdfunding.

Shame we didn't get to say hi. Maybe at a film screening next year...

It was a great gig and had a bit of a chat to Mr Gedge after. Worth the freezing train journey back to London! Best of luck with the film!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My name will appear in the closing credits of a film about 'The Wedding Present'.

The best £12 I have ever wasted.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Tomorrow I shall celebrate by putting the reboot of George Best on at 12:45 in the pub where I work. (Hove)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I won't be able to donate until the end of next month but will do so when I can even if the campaign has ended. The Weddoes were a massive part of my late teens. As much as I loved the fey indie of The Smiths/Morrissey, dance-oriented New Order and completely out-there music of The Sugarcubes, I still needed to listen to the no-frills and taking no-prisoners sound of Gedge & Co. His voice is like no other that went before or has been since. That most of the songs are allegedly about being pissed off with ex-girlfriends adds to the magic. Just my view but I don't rate the George Best album as much as Bizarro (with the stone-cold classic Brassneck) or Seamonsters.

The other great thing about the band was that they were consistently good. I also loved listening to The Godfathers around the same time and although they had a few great songs, the songs on their albums were inconsistent in quality, something that you could never say about The Wedding Present. And unlike Mark E Smith, David Gedge loves this town. This is from an interview a few years back.

Having lived in Alfriston, in East Sussex, for seven years, Gedge and co decided to move to Hove three years ago, and is still enjoying life on the south coast. "I used to live in Leeds, then went to live in Seattle for a year and a half, then came back and was kind of like 'where should I live'? Most of the people I knew there had gone. I thought Brighton was a great place to be a musician: you are near London, near the airport, ferries and I liked Brighton. I had played here quite regularly and I knew some people here. It has a good feeling, interesting shops, the arty lifestyles, loads of music. As a northerner, you are supposed to hate it down south but, there's definitely character here”

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Any prospects of a screening in Brighton/Hove? Perhaps The Old Market?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here