Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton vs Liverpool Player Review {New Blog}

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Fantastic player-by-player analysis, already looking forward to reading the review of next week's Hudds game

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
An excellent read - thank you.

(Might just want to have a quick look at "Hughton pulled himself off instantly" in the Knockaert section though...)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Great. A really good analysis, and at least someone is pointing to the contrast between Bong's defensive performances and his passing.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Excellent player by player analysis...an articulate version of my neanderthal mutterings during and after the game!!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If you turn, for instance, to the Player ratings thread vs 'Pool, you might find that very few are actually pointing that out.

But is that because when you see the same thing every week, you simply become tired of repeating it? I'd be surprised if Bong doesn't have a pass completion rate of 70-75% since his arrival a few years back, which isn't particularly good for a left back. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Putting quantitative ratings can only give a part view of the teams performance. What does a 10/10 score even represent? Quality is purely subjective and once you need to qualify a number with the comment that players are having a poor performance, a numerical score fails to explain why.

The second Liverpool goal should have been preventable and a prime example of a team collectively losing self-belief. I don't buy the media reports that it was the best Liverpool goal, there were opportunities to ensure it could have been stopped, but as soon as the team lost possession from the kick-off, the BHA players collectively all dropped off the pace, Liverpool sped up. Result - we made the goal look better than it actually was.

It's not impossible to come from 2-0 down but to start a fight-back there has to be some acknowledgement that (individually) you need to drive that little bit harder. We seemed to suffer from the reaction of ' ok the games dead now' let's not worry too much what the end result is. Liverpool aren't infallible. It's that attitude that separates a great player from a good one. Going 2-0 down should have made some of our player get the red-mist ( not in a dirty sense, rather in a push through the pain barrier sense ). After all, it's their professional reputation at stake. I don't expect every player to be as naturally talented as the Liverpool squad, but there were times when we simply gave them the ball gift-wrapped with ribbon and a bow. Schoolboy stuff that the players looking at the post match DVD need to react to and ask ' what could I have done better to make sure the pass I made was the right decision at that time'. One thing that makes AK great to watch is that he is better than most at knowing when the best option is take to take the man on in front of you. Some of our squad need to be more circumspect about passing and be a bit more ' I can carry this ball into the oppo half and I don't need any assistance from a team-mate to do it '.

The best form of defence is attack - there come a point whereby an opposition player can be challenged into making mistakes, and that's the one lesson we've got to take from this game. Do to others what Liverpool did to us and scare the bejeezus's out of them before they've had a chance to break sweat.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Putting quantitative ratings can only give a part view of the teams performance. What does a 10/10 score even represent? Quality is purely subjective and once you need to qualify a number with the comment that players are having a poor performance, a numerical score fails to explain why.

The second Liverpool goal should have been preventable and a prime example of a team collectively losing self-belief. I don't buy the media reports that it was the best Liverpool goal, there were opportunities to ensure it could have been stopped, but as soon as the team lost possession from the kick-off, the BHA players collectively all dropped off the pace, Liverpool sped up. Result - we made the goal look better than it actually was.

It's not impossible to come from 2-0 down but to start a fight-back there has to be some acknowledgement that (individually) you need to drive that little bit harder. We seemed to suffer from the reaction of ' ok the games dead now' let's not worry too much what the end result is. Liverpool aren't infallible. It's that attitude that separates a great player from a good one. Going 2-0 down should have made some of our player get the red-mist ( not in a dirty sense, rather in a push through the pain barrier sense ). After all, it's their professional reputation at stake. I don't expect every player to be as naturally talented as the Liverpool squad, but there were times when we simply gave them the ball gift-wrapped with ribbon and a bow. Schoolboy stuff that the players looking at the post match DVD need to react to and ask ' what could I have done better to make sure the pass I made was the right decision at that time'. One thing that makes AK great to watch is that he is better than most at knowing when the best option is take to take the man on in front of you. Some of our squad need to be more circumspect about passing and be a bit more ' I can carry this ball into the oppo half and I don't need any assistance from a team-mate to do it '.

The best form of defence is attack - there come a point whereby an opposition player can be challenged into making mistakes, and that's the one lesson we've got to take from this game. Do to others what Liverpool did to us and scare the bejeezus's out of them before they've had a chance to break sweat.

Don’t agree we dropped our heads at 2-0 - we had a fantastic chance to score to make it 2-1.......Murray hit the keeper instead of the net and 14 seconds later it was 3-0.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I said we dropped our heads at 1-0, that's how they came so easily at us for the 2nd. You're misreading what I said, once the 2nd went in, then there were chances in the first half to get back to 2-1, but collectively the team didn't pick-up as required. I'd like to have seen more focus / determination / in-your-faceness after the 2nd Liverpool goal from BHA but possession was still too readily squandered. To get back after the 2nd goal, there needed to be a bit more 'game management', and that doesn't always mean keeping to the original plan. We tried a few formation tweaks but individually players have to start to show resilience, and good awareness of where opportunities to create space can occur. That space could have been down the centre of the park, but too often we go for the 'hospital' pass to maintain shape, when a determined dribble up field is the better option.

My own view of course, and perhaps the players just aren't experienced enough or versatile enough to radically change a game plan mid-half, but just because the manager sets the team up that way at kick-off doesn't make it the best solution as the games proceeds. The best solution is often the one you didn't employ before, and have to invent on the fly because it's the least expected by the opposition.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Since I can no longer produce videos in the Premier League (for now), i've gone back to writing a blog. I am planning to keep this updated on a weekly basis, depending on how it goes down. let me know your thoughts! :eek:

https://turnstiletotouchline.wordpr...e-albion-brighton-vs-liverpool-player-review/

Quite good. I would not have written it much differently. Slightly differently as I was absolutely dismayed with the first goal, even though there had been warning signs.

I was disappointed by the performance of the Albion regulars rather than the disparity in ability.

Salah was not as quick as I was led to believe, but Firmino was much better than expected.

Murray expected to finish 50% of good chances (excluding the penalty) and one of three was on his much better right foot.

PS: I like the picture as it shows which part of the ground you are watching from. It can make a difference.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I said we dropped our heads at 1-0, that's how they came so easily at us for the 2nd. You're misreading what I said, once the 2nd went in, then there were chances in the first half to get back to 2-1, but collectively the team didn't pick-up as required.

tbh I think we were in shock or rocked by the goal - they really went for it at the restart, I don't think we started at all before they got the next goal. Interestingly they were a bit like sharks going for the kill bcs they could smell blood and were just bloody ruthless. Was a lesson in how to play they game at the top level.

Great write-up. Although I thought Izzy was lost on a few occasions and ddnt seem to link up with Glen too well on others. But was the best game I can rememebr from him (Izzy).

As you say, Stephens needs some competition and stepping up a notch or 3 to make us tick from the midfield.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If it’s any comfort Liverpool are doing exactly the same tonight......3-0 up after 18 mins and look like scoring every time they go forward.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here