Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Groß

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Great stats this year, and delivers an excellent free kick /corner, works incredibly hard too.

BUT, he's more of a fifth midfielder than a second striker IMO.

What this means is that Glenn is incredibly isolated up front.

It's clear we need a top class centre forward in January, but I think we need a pacey second striker too.

They won't come cheap, but I think in the long term, staying up will pay for them.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'd go one further , if we get a better player in every position then we might win the league ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Great stats this year, and delivers an excellent free kick /corner, works incredibly hard too.

Isn't this dependent on whether we have the ball or not. Certainly against the top 6 sides when we are defending, Gross does drop further back into midfield but this is purely tactical. When we are attacking he pops up everywhere as the link between midfield and Murray/Hemed

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Play two strikers and how many more goals do we need to score to make up for the extra goals against?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't this dependent on whether we have the ball or not. Certainly against the top 6 sides when we are defending, Gross does drop further back into midfield but this is purely tactical. When we are attacking he pops up everywhere as the link between midfield and Murray/Hemed

Exactly.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

It's clear we need a top class centre forward in January, but I think we need a pacey second striker too.

They won't come cheap, but I think in the long term, staying up will pay for them.

Said pretty much exactly this on a different thread. In games where we're very much up against it, Izzy Brown's ability to quickly get up close to Murray would be an asset - but how can Hughton drop Gross? And is he good enough defensively to replace either Stephens or Propper? It's a tricky one.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yup. This.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The only worry for me is that Klopp my have found the key to stifle us and this won't go unnoticed by others. With the extra body in midfield for Liverpool, there was no space for Groß or indeed Propper to get into as they did against Man United. With the lack of pace up front, they could be confident that their 3 could cope with Murray, and with the very high press on our defensive line up, we just weren't able to settle as much. The difficulty for us is that we can't really change our approach with the current personnel. Credit to Klopp on that one.. Having said that, had we taken our chances OR not conceded from a corner, we may have seen a very different outcome.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The only worry for me is that Klopp my have found the key to stifle us and this won't go unnoticed by others. With the extra body in midfield for Liverpool, there was no space for Groß or indeed Propper to get into as they did against Man United. With the lack of pace up front, they could be confident that their 3 could cope with Murray, and with the very high press on our defensive line up, we just weren't able to settle as much. The difficulty for us is that we can't really change our approach with the current personnel. Credit to Klopp on that one.. Having said that, had we taken our chances OR not conceded from a corner, we may have seen a very different outcome.

Or maybe we got beaten by a far superior side who any team in the league would have struggled against on Saturday!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Really Baldock should be that second, pacey striker (at least short term) behind Murray but he seems to have vanished into the ether

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I fear you may be taking Gross' positional play in this game in isolation... He was 15 yards deeper than normal the whole game which was a big tactical mistake by CH...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Or maybe we got beaten by a far superior side who any team in the league would have struggled against on Saturday!

Yes, absolutely, but I think Klopp made specific changes to the formation that directly impacted on our ability to perform. That isn't a criticism, but reflects the obvious gulf in squads that allows you such flexibility. I don't think it was just a question of CH telling PG to sit deeper than before..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here