Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marmite Bong

Feb 9, 2012
perth
first time new poster but having read all the player ratings giving Liverpool MOM to Mr Bong, I felt compelled to ask if I am the only person on here who thinks we are living in a parallel universe and he is completely out of his depth..

To be fair I also think yesterday's shocker was compounded by him and Brown as an untried unit being all over the place defensively,but i put bong down as being primarily at fault for at least 2 of their goals. 2nd was one, sorry still too raw to watch it again and tell you the other.

In a nutshell his positioning yesterday was awful, too often drifting into the centre and leaving the left exposed. Add to that his first touch is a random lottery and his wing/linking play nothing special, Id be picking Sutner every time and not convinced hes up to it either but thats another story.

Yes, football is all opinions and I am ready to be schooled by greater minds but all i'd say in my defence is watch the goals and near misses...if you are a left back your No1 job is to stop the threat from their right. He didnt

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I like Bong as a fella and he's a very decent Championship FB.

As for yesterday, he's tenacious and makes those last ditch tackles look sublime... BUT he can and does remind me of a turbo Andrew Whing, such is his lack of positional sense, and akin to Bruno he's not great in the air.

As an aside, in terms of 'choices' or lack thereof, I said Suttner was an average signing at best, and was duly destroyed by those who know better on here. Bong being first pick kind of says it all. He's (Bong) improved on last year, but we all know he's bottom 4 material in this division.

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I do wonder what Suttner has got to do to get a decent run in the side as every time I've seen him play he's looked class. I've got nothing against Bong, other than I think that he is the weaker of the two options. I think we'd have lost the Place game had Bong been playing as Zaha and Loftus-Cheek between them would have had the better of him.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Used to link up well with lua lua but a weak link now

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I do wonder what Suttner has got to do to get a decent run in the side as every time I've seen him play he's looked class. I've got nothing against Bong, other than I think that he is the weaker of the two options. I think we'd have lost the Place game had Bong been playing as Zaha and Loftus-Cheek between them would have had the better of him.

agree, Suttner has been decent when he's played. CH has his own views and that's what we go with...... onwards.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I too remain mystified re Suttner, although I suspect he is no better than average at this level - that makes him slightly more likely to shine over Bong. The margins betwixt the two are clearly fine however and I think it might be about how Bong fits as a personality into our hitherto strong back four. His lack of genuine PL ability, along with the rest of the squad, was badly exposed yesterday and as such Chris now has a big few weeks ahead of him re selection... hmmmmmm it sure is a thinker.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have to agree with most on this thread. Bong's positioning is diabolical and coming forward he seems incapable of linking up effectively with whomever is in front of him. Part of Jose's frustrations must surely be that he never gets the ball early enough.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The only thing I can see that Bong has in his favour over suttner is pace, but it’s mainly used to recover from a mistake. Was good to see Brown making my some decent crosses in the 2nd half, something that Bong has struggled to do all season (in both halfs !)

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Only saw the first half yesterday as I had to go out but thought Bong and Brown were easily our worst players.

Bong 100% at fault for the second goal, kept getting in good positions going forward before giving the ball away and couldn't deal with them defensively. Brown was lazy, lost and ineffective in the first half. Think he is wasted out wide

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I thought he was our MOM yesterday.

Is he a world beater at Premier League level? No. But then few of our players are. I’d say he’s acquitted himself pretty well and won his place back on merit. Sutner is arguably better on the ball, but has nothing like Bong’s pace and tenacity. Bong is a warrior and a key part of this team.

Feb 9, 2012
perth

Is he a world beater at Premier League level? No. But then few of our players are. I’d say he’s acquitted himself pretty well and won his place back on merit. Sutner is arguably better on the ball, but has nothing like Bong’s pace and tenacity. Bong is a warrior and a key part of this team.

Okay so your view is exactly the reason for starting this post....honestly not having a go, more genuinely bemused how you and many others can give him MOM when he clearly cost us at least 2 goals...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In terms of yesterday's game, I thought that Bong was one of our better players, (I know that doesn't say a lot), yes he made errors, as did everyone else in a Brighton shirt, but at least, without the inclusion of a winger on his side of the field, tried to get forward and make things happen.

Don't forget too, that much of the time a sponsor is asked to name the man of the match, the player they choose is the one they would most like to meet after the game, not the one who might have performed the best.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Fully agree.

In addition to this, for all those talking about Bong's positional sense have missed the fact that his positional sense yesterday was mostly excellent - and several times Brown was the one caught out of position, to the point that Bong was having words with Brown.

Put it this way, very little of Liverpool's threat came from their right-hand side.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Fully agree.

In addition to this, for all those talking about Bong's positional sense have missed the fact that his positional sense yesterday was mostly excellent - and several times Brown was the one caught out of position, to the point that Bong was having words with Brown.

Put it this way, very little of Liverpool's threat came from their right-hand side.

OP is a troll. Bong made seven defensive interceptions yesterday as many as the rest of the team put together (Liverpool attacked mainly on the right) and ran like shit to try and get back for their third goal. Clear MOM in a game where our first choice players had stinkers.

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Think Bong is out of position sometimes covering for others who seem to be in dreamland.Good player.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
OP is a troll. Bong made seven defensive interceptions yesterday as many as the rest of the team put together (Liverpool attacked mainly on the right) and ran like shit to try and get back for their third goal. Clear MOM.

I'm sorry but just because the OP is voicing a different opinion to yourself doesn't make him/her a troll. Please try to engage in debate rather than petty name calling.

Feb 9, 2012
perth
OP is a troll. Bong made seven defensive interceptions yesterday as many as the rest of the team put together (Liverpool attacked mainly on the right) and ran like shit to try and get back for their third goal. Clear MOM.

There you go.....your opinion is the only one that matters and anyone who disagrees should be abused ...I started the thread as genuinely curious about the views of those who disagreed with me. Please take a second to reflect how boring NSC would be if everyone always agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here