Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where are you on the 'perspective' scale?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Particularly when we have had a disappointing defeat in the past few years, really since we became regular play-off challengers and now a Premier League side, there seems a genuine split in the fans on here.

Some cannot forget that we have been 92nd in the Football League only 20 years ago, are loving where we are now and the football we have seen, and temper criticism of team, manager and board accordingly.

And some think it is all too easy to trot that out, and that now we are an ambitious PL club the past is just that and should have no bearing for fans on what is happening now for ambitions and expectations.

If I had to choose right now, I'd be in the former camp. But a couple of years in the PL and being established might see that shift. The two aren't entirely mutually exclusive of course.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We were always going to take a pasting at some point, and that's happened against one of the league's most potent attacks.

Yesterday was a game of what might have been. Had we not been punch drunk after the first goal, what might have been? Had Glenn scored at 2-0 down, what might have been?

Despite losing 5-1, there were positives. We looked good in the first part of the second half - great to see Brown getting forward.

We lost. Move on. We have enough to stay in this league. And, if we can strengthen in January, that will be good news. It's still going to be a tough ask to stay up, but we can do it.

We've come a long way, and this is a long game situation. Football doesn't end after this season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It may just be how people are. Some will swing between brilliant and rubbish with no middle ground whereas others rarely move too far from the middle ground.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I still think we are in for a hard season and 17th will be excellent. The last two games we have been poor.

Perspective wise, as above, move on, keep supporting and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
For an ever increasing proportion of fans, including our own, winning is everything. You can see this in the ratings given to players. We beat a nondescript side and everyone becomes world beaters (except the usual scapegoats); we lose to a very good PL side, playing well and working hard, as well, and suddenly all and sundry, including CH are crap. As the old saying goes, "form is temporary, class is permanent". We have just had about the toughest week of games in my 50 years of following the Albion; away to Man Utd, where we were genuinely unfortunate not to come away with a point; intense and well fought local derby; then yesterday. If people are disappointed with yesterday, the players and the manager then I think they need to have a good hard look at themselves.

I still see a club that is moving in the right direction as it has been more or less continuously since October 2009. We all knew it was going to be tough to survive and that we would get the occasional thrashing; the first came yesterday, later, I would argue, than anyone on here anticipated. Still 100% behind the team, the manager and the board.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't understand the naval gazing after yesterday.

Sure the team got beat but when they were good they were very good.
When that wasn't the case it's and easy fix with the wallet and ball retention.

Onwards and upwards.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They aren't mutually exclusive at all. Every fan needs to know & understand their club's history but our ambition should be to be winning games in this division on a regular basis, else it's pointless being here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el punal

Onwards and upwards.

Not everyone looks at sailors! (Pedant alert!). :wink:

But I do agree with the rest of your post. Just as well we are close to the January transfer window which will mean we can strengthen the squad in vital areas.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Despite doing fantastically well defensively so far this season, we were always destined to get a hiding at some point this season(and I don't think this will be the only one-Man City away??). Liverpool counter attacked so quickly and our defenders weren't prepared for that.. CH and the players will watch the game back and hopefully learn from it. It's what we do against the bottom 12 teams that will define our season

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think it will be trickier at home this season as the impetus is on us to attack and with the better clubs this falls beautifully into their hands. I am firmly in the the reality zone, probably sitiv s we’re there yesterday and L’pool were irresistible on the counter, their defense were not threatened or punished enough. Onwards and upwards!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It may just be how people are. Some will swing between brilliant and rubbish with no middle ground whereas others rarely move too far from the middle ground.

Exactly. A lot of these discussions remind me of party politics, with a proportion who will never shift from their position come what May, and another group who will change preference depending on how they feel on the day. The slightly disappointing thing about NSC is when a small number of people start 'campaigning' - nakedly attempting to change the opinion of others in a quite strategic way (especially the case on the politics threads).

In the spirit of my preferred method of engagement (the virtual chat on the concourse or in the pub - sometimes heated but without a campaigning purpose) I'd say that on this particular issue I swing around a bit. I always want more, but am very aware of what it feels like to watch my team in a rented shit hole of a 'stadium', with three quarters of the ground closed. So for now, I can take yesterday on the chin. We tried and the atmos was good. If we had one or two players sulking because the club refuse to double their wags or let them move to a bigger club (see Arsenal), a side that can't buy a win, with a manager who had previously been sussed out at a smaller club (see Swansea), or an owner who is an embarrassment and just as likely to flounce off as buy a new star player (see Newcastle) then I might have reacted differently to yesterday's defenestration.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thought we would have been turned over badly a lot earlier but I have concerns over our home form which really needs to pick up very quickly

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Onwards and upwards.

It is interesting how people have reacted to such a shellacking, but I think the question is an interesting one outside of that.

I know I get annoyed when people are critically looking at a performance from that day or week, and someone pops up with "remember Hereford, we're lucky even to have a team!!!!!!!". But I also roll my eyes at the people who go on about winning mentality means never accepting defeat or getting autographs of more famous players. I think most people would out themselves somewhere between the two.

Hereford was 20 years ago. It shouldn't be the sole definition we are.

Who we are is a team that is spending their first year in the premier league ever, the first year in the top division for over 30 years, so we shouldn't expect to walk to the top of the league. But who we are is also a team that has grown, improved and developed into a team that earned a place in the premier league. We are not just making up the numbers, we deserve to be here and we need to act like it. That means expecting more than a single home point against teams that this season are struggling toward the bottom (such as Stoke and Everton), but also being aware of the gulf in class between the top 6 clubs and the rest of the division, and not losing your mind because one of them beat you.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It was an odd feeling yesterday, getting thumped 1-5 at home, and not being particularly pissed off about it. Don't know what that says about my perspective, but there you go :shrug:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Still 'punching above our wieght' being new boys and the lowest wage payers. Obvious that the team needs a quick, young striker (we ALL know that) and Burno looks, well, mature.

Had Glenn scored when he looked like doing so, might have been different but they are a good, good side.

Bring on next week....back to reality if you like. Matches we need to be confident about.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here