Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton too defensive

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I seem to remember both Norwich & Newcastle fans criticising Hughton for being too defensive and this played a large part in his departure from both clubs.

I can't help but think that in that first half today we should have been more offensive. He seems to leave any substitutions until it is too late, and quite often the players look they have been instructed to pass it sideways or backwards rather than try and create something but risk loosing possession.

I wonder if long term we might need to find a manager who is willing to 'go for it' a bit more often than CH seems to?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I seem to remember both Norwich & Newcastle fans criticising Hughton for being too defensive and this played a large part in his departure from both clubs.

I can't help but think that in that first half today we should have been more offensive. He seems to leave any substitutions until it is too late, and quite often the players look they have been instructed to pass it sideways or backwards rather than try and create something but risk loosing possession.

I wonder if long term we might need to find a manager who is willing to 'go for it' a bit more often than CH seems to?

You could say that or you could say that there was approx £200 mil difference in the quality of the teams today! They were on a different level, most sensible people would be able to see had we attacked more in the first half we would have gone in more than 2 down.
Sometimes (when you play Liverpool especially) you have to say we lost to a far better team! We had our chances but quality told in the end!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Yep, sacking him was the best thing both of those clubs did.

Hughton's way works, I daresay he could make it work here toward consistency in the top half of the table.. with a better squad.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
First time since the opening day I can say I feel we have been truely outclassed.
I’m sorry but to go offensive at Liverpool could of seen a cricket score. Their front 3 today got in to some brilliant positions and coutinho was finding space all over and that was with us trying closing off the space. Sometimes you have to say the better side won.
CH tactics today we’re not the problem and neither were his substitutions. Biggest difference was the fact the 200 plus million front 3 were clinical and took 5 of 7/8 good chances where as we took one of 4 very good opportunities and the way the game planned out each time we missed we were made to pay shortly afterward.
As for passing sideways again that was a team that press on a level we haven’t seen for seen since Man City gave us nontime and won it back quickly.
CH way has worked for us and he has done wonders. Proud he is the BHA manager and even if we went down there is no one else I would want in chageb

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Oh, do **** off

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If we had gone for it today we would have shipped 10 goals - playing the way we did we had three very good chances plus a penalty - Murray should have scored a hat trick, maybe 4 today

djentist

Aug 15, 2017

When has Hughton not "gone for it" this season, apart from maybe today with Liverpool's offensive strength clear to see and the opening two games I think we've given every game a good stab. He's not Aitor Karanka shoving 10 men behind the ball against Swansea is he

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First time since the opening day I can say I feel we have been truely outclassed.
I’m sorry but to go offensive at Liverpool could of seen a cricket score. Their front 3 today got in to some brilliant positions and coutinho was finding space all over and that was with us trying closing off the space. Sometimes you have to say the better side won.
CH tactics today we’re not the problem and neither were his substitutions. Biggest difference was the fact the 200 plus million front 3 were clinical and took 5 of 7/8 good chances where as we took one of 4 very good opportunities and the way the game planned out each time we missed we were made to pay shortly afterward.
As for passing sideways again that was a team that press on a level we haven’t seen for seen since Man City gave us nontime and won it back quickly.
CH way has worked for us and he has done wonders. Proud he is the BHA manager and even if we went down there is no one else I would want in chageb

Great post.

We can't have it both ways. Others saying LFC were hopeless against our well marshalled defence and system, until a "mistake" let in Can. Inherently saying CH got it right.

Throwing more caution to the wind, would probably not have us the four vital wins etc.

Until we have better forwards and creators from a few more transfer windows, CH is doing more than fine.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When has Hughton not "gone for it" this season, apart from maybe today with Liverpool's offensive strength clear to see and the opening two games I think we've given every game a good stab. He's not Aitor Karanka shoving 10 men behind the ball against Swansea is he

...... or Pulis getting results by killing football, time, enjoyment.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Even with Liverpool's makeshift back line, our attacking options are limited with our current squad therefore Chris is adjusting tactics to each opponent and up til today it had worked quite well.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
This is one of those threads that pops up regularly - sure OP could have found one without too much hunting. Funnily enough, it tends to pop up when we have been beaten.

Suggest OP tries to find the interview with Sam Allardyce on R5L this evening. He openly said that Everton will play defensively against the better teams - "We wont play like we did today against Man City". He doesnt buy the moaning of managers of top teams that face banks of defensive players. "Give me £450m", he continued, "and I will play open football against Man City".

A Man C supporter after the game said to me that Hughton played it as best he could - "try and play us and you would get ripped to shreds".

This isnt the Championship any longer where we would expect to at least compete against all 23 teams. 'Go for it' in first half against top 6 is a recipe for disaster.

Where there is a case for more offensiveness is at 3-1 down today - would have left Brown on and taken Propper or Stephens off. Then we would have lost 6-1 probably but had a party in last 30 minutes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't criticise CH's overall success rate with us (and with previous teams he's managed). He's played the numbers, in the same way that our revered chairman has. But, like many others, I do wish we could be a bit more adventurous at times (it's that old argument about leaving one up at corners and free kicks, and I know we're never going to win that one!)

Hughton's way - take it or leave it. :shrug: ...... I'll take it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Hindsight.

At 29 minutes, I was a little worried as it did not look as though our central defence were on their game, but it might have been our midfield as they already had two headers and a shot which they missed.

Playing deep only works if we keep concentration. At 30 minutes I thought a terrible goal to concede and on 32 minutes I thought it would be a Seville first half.

I didn't think they were patch on Man City. We collapsed just like Norwich did last season.

PS: Salah was not as quick as I was led to believe. I think we could have been a bit more adventurous.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hindsight.

At 29 minutes, I was a little worried as it did not look as though our central defence were on their game, but it might have been our midfield as they already had two headers and a shot which they missed.

Playing deep only works if we keep concentration. At 30 minutes I thought a terrible goal to concede and on 32 minutes I thought it would be a Seville first half.

I didn't think they were patch on Man City. We collapsed just like Norwich did last season.

CH thought they were the equal of Man City. So did I. Man C have spent a £b in buying 22 world class (or just below that) players, so unsurprisingly outclassed nervous PL newcomers.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004

No, no we won’t.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Did you wet your bed? Poor lad, go and sleep with mummy, I'll change your sheets xx

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here