Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton - a positive & negative

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thought he got the formation wrong today at the start and Gross was too deep so we sat way too deep and didn’t pressure their makeshift and dodgy defence. To his credit, he seemed to give a clear message at halftime of ‘support Glenn more’ and as a team we started pushing them and were much, much better second half, after a poor first half.

Had them a little worried at 3-1 and Murray could have had 4 today. Not a 5-1 game, although you have to admire the quality of Liverpool - that’s the £s we’re up against. Keep the faith.:bhasign:

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Thought he got the formation wrong today at the start and Gross was too deep so we sat way too deep and didn’t pressure their makeshift and dodgy defence. To his credit, he seemed to give a clear message at halftime of ‘support Glenn more’ and as a team we started pushing them and were much, much better second half, after a poor first half.

Had them a little worried at 3-1 and Murray could have had 4 today. Not a 5-1 game, although you have to admire the quality of Liverpool - that’s the £s we’re up against. Keep the faith.:bhasign:

Spot on - excellent post

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Losing 3-1 at home shouldn't be that entertaining.
Sure the last 10 minutes sucked the life out of me, but up until 4 & 5 I thought we played well.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In the first half our formation was 6-3-1!

Much better in the 2nd half when we tried to attack. Hopefully he's learnt a lesson there.

At 3-1 we were still in the game. Murray should have made it 3-2.

Bizarre that Liverpool score a couple of blistering goals on the break and people still can’t see that attacking them from the off would be akin to footballing suicide.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Think the problem was initially we were not expecting 3 at the back with 2 of them being CM. We had gone man for man in there yet the space was elsewhere on the pitch and I think he should of been moved higher quicker.
At 0-0 we had a great chance
At 2-0 we had a chance you have to take and got punished 20/30 seconds later
At 3-1 had a couple of decent chances
Think the difference of quality in front of goal told clearly in the end and they were clinical but keep the faith.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Bizarre that Liverpool score a couple of blistering goals on the break and people still can’t see that attacking them from the off would be akin to footballing suicide.
LOL. There is NO PLACE on NSC for that kind of analysis.

Whenever an opposition look good and get on top of us it is obviously because Hughton has set us up too defensively.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I agree with the sentiment, but for most of the first half our wingers were playing as fullbacks and our no10 was in midfield. Murray was our only outlet, if our players didn't hit him when we won the ball, we just gave the ball back to them. There's a balance between sitting back and being on the front foot, and in the first half I think we sat back and invited to much pressure.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Too much respect given to Liverpool. He said it in his press conference yesterday that they are in "Man City form" at the moment, and they will get us on the counter attack given the chance. Self fulfilling prophecy perhaps.

It was obvious after the first 10 minutes that we were at risk of getting trounced. Simply too much respect given to them - we should have tried to take the game to them, being the home team, with the backing of the fans.

Not having a pop at CH... on another day we might have frustrated them, but perhaps we could have done better today given the right mentality.

When we took the game to them... they scored ��

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Good post. Poor that Gross was looking for the ball from our CB's. Needed to stay up near Glenn to help us get up the pitch a bit. That would still leave 8 players able to defend for those saying it is suicide to attack Liverpool.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

We struggle up against 3 at the back formations and sides that outnumber us in the centre. Add in the difference in quality, and we were always going to struggle today.

Where I disagree is with the use of Gross. We were outnumbered in the centre of midfield and I thought he was right to drop deeper. The issue was more that our wide players were so deep that we lacked movement in and around Murray. It was telling that the biggest change tactically for us second half was to push Brown and Knockaert higher, and we looked more dangerous as a result. This also pushed their wing backs much further back - this would’ve been much more helpful had the scores been level, but with them holding a two goal or more lead, it allowed them to leave space in front of Bong and Bruno who struggled in possession today, meaning our numerical advantage out wide was never really exploited.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Too much respect given to Liverpool. He said it in his press conference yesterday that they are in "Man City form" at the moment, and they will get us on the counter attack given the chance. Self fulfilling prophecy perhaps.

It was obvious after the first 10 minutes that we were at risk of getting trounced. Simply too much respect given to them - we should have tried to take the game to them, being the home team, with the backing of the fans.

Not having a pop at CH... on another day we might have frustrated them, but perhaps we could have done better today given the right mentality.

Weren't 4 of the goals on the break out numbering us? I didn't think we gave them too much respect - just the ball!!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I agree with you and know what you mean BUT I thought Gross should have played in normal position. I have no issues with CH tactics normally - I just felt today we needed to do more first half. Maybe if we’d attacked a little more after the first 20, that would have been the way to go?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good post. Poor that Gross was looking for the ball from our CB's. Needed to stay up near Glenn to help us get up the pitch a bit. That would still leave 8 players able to defend for those saying it is suicide to attack Liverpool.

Exactly what I meant mate :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm normally CH's biggest fan but he got the first half wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think we got what we deserved really. A team with their attacking credentials and we sit back and let them have the ball for most of the first half. However, the worst thing for me was the second goal. We've just conceded the first and what is the first thing we do at the kick off? We give the ball straight back to them. What is it with our kick offs that we feel we should just pass back to Dunk for him to loft the ball forward. Why not pass it around, keep possession for a little and get everyone a touch of the ballj. We do this every bloody game. Might not have changed the result but it would be nice to see us use our brains a little!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Strange to say but I actually enjoyed the game today. My biggest worry is that whenever teams press us we don’t seem able to pass the ball to our own players enough. City, Leicester, Stoke, Palace and now Liverpool have put us in panic mode on the ball. I thought Coutinho was the best player I have seen live for a long long time. So much time and skill on the ball and what a fabulous free kick for the free kick goal. A stuffing was always going to happen eventually, shame it had to be at home, and I thought the scorline flattered Liverpool. No way am I blaming CH for today, the gulf in class was too big on the day. Even if Murray had taken his chances I still think we would have lost.

Jose’s jinking run was the highlight of our day for me. We need to sign a big striker with pace to take the pressure off us. Murray in the first half was close on useless but much better in the second half but he hasn’t got the pace and three games in a week is too much for him at this level imo. Got into the right positions to have had a hatrick on another day though but we really do need some pace to be able to exploit long clearances.

Last edited:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Totally agree with the above

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here