Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Whatever Happened To Albion RESPONSE STEWARDS?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well? ???

Touched on it elsewhere, but IMHO deserves its own thread.

Response Stewards used to form a halfway house between plod who are always surprise surprise somewhere else on more important duties like coralling docile fans with tickets and the poor saps in hi-viz jackets who aren't paid enough to give a shit about smoke bombs being constantly let off throughout the match by the same square metre of fans.

In the end, who HAS responsibility for maintaining order in the turnstile area and in the ground?

As things currently stand, it would appear that nobody has that responsibility to the paying public.

Far easier to review the cctv footage after the event in the comfort and safety of your office over a nice cup of tea.

Shame on you all.

****s

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bit that surprised me about the whole incident as how so many Palace without tickets got from the car park / station / stadium perimeter to the Fire Exit door without being spotted en route by outdoor police / stewards.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The bit that surprised me about the whole incident as how so many Palace without tickets got from the car park / station / stadium perimeter to the Fire Exit door without being spotted en route by outdoor police / stewards.

Especially as it was the same bunch of sewer rats who had been posting team photos in town for much of the afternoon and who were more or less all wearing an all-black uniform. All down to the dimmed-witted plod who were FAR too ready to put on a show of riot-gear strength to people who posed no threat at all while totally missing the ferals in black.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Especially as it was the same bunch of sewer rats who had been posting team photos in town for much of the afternoon and who were more or less all wearing an all-black uniform. All down to the dimmed-witted plod who were FAR too ready to put on a show of riot-gear strength to people who posed no threat at all while totally missing the ferals in black.

Have to agree with this. The police have a lot of explaining to do. But will they?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
They fell for the old fire exit trick!

I'm not sure who the biggest idiots are - the ones rushing the gates or their pals filming it & posting it onto the internet - thanks v much for filiming ke doing something illegal & posting the evidence

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sure they still exist, Probably otherwise engaged turning their heads the other way. The police were the biggest let down in this. All match to do something yet nothing happened.

el punal

This has all been done to death now. Who started it, who's to blame, who should have responded, blah! blah! Can we please move on and concentrate on the Liverpool game - the next game against the scum isn't until April we can regurgitate this then.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My question is, because of these assholes acts, would the Albion be penalised for them getting in so easily?

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
My question is, because of these assholes acts, would the Albion be penalised for them getting in so easily?

I wondered about this. If the Albion are found to be negligent could we be facing a points deduction?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Seven years at the Amex and one incident with mindless visiting supporters and all the snowflakes are cacking themselves and apportioning blame at anyone in authority. Let’s be grateful that only two stewards were hospitalised. I’m sure that those complaining would’ve jumped in to confront these morons with their knives and knuckle dusters.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
AAA security at the stadium they only pick on home fans 4 onto 1 . They wouldnt get involved too spineless.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Mentioned that to my son the other day, response stewards would obviously cost more to hire due to needing their SIA badge, he has been offered a position there but isn't interested, clearly more would have been detained if the event stewards were not out of there league.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seven years at the Amex and one incident with mindless visiting supporters and all the snowflakes are cacking themselves and apportioning blame at anyone in authority. Let’s be grateful that only two stewards were hospitalised. I’m sure that those complaining would’ve jumped in to confront these morons with their knives and knuckle dusters.

That was my point. Who DOES confront them? There was a clear vacuum of responsibility inside the stadium in the away end on Tuesday night. Are the fans supposed to self-police? The sewer rats had the run of the place for just about the whole game, with nobody 'in authority' doing a damn thing about it other than gathering cctv evidence from a safe distance. If that's not a cause of concern to you, then maybe it should be.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That was my point. Who DOES confront them? There was a clear vacuum of responsibility inside the stadium in the away end on Tuesday night. Are the fans supposed to self-police? The sewer rats had the run of the place for just about the whole game, with nobody 'in authority' doing a damn thing about it other than gathering cctv evidence from a safe distance. If that's not a cause of concern to you, then maybe it should be.

After two stewards were put in hospital due to the feral fans, I would think the stewards were told to contain the problem rather than confront it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Surely by wading in, you increase the risk of more people getting hurt, perhaps seriously. You know that they will resist the stewards and Police in their efforts to remove people from the crowd (you see this when it's just a couple of people so when it's 50 + resisting?) Stewards were injured in the earlier incident, do you think that any effort to remove people from the crowd would be met by people co-operating peacefully?

All you would be doing is getting to these people earlier than if you were to go via the CCTV route, but is the increased risk worth that little bit of time? Would a few getting injured be a fair trade off with apprehending them earlier?

No doubt if they had gone in and others got hurt, they would face criticism for that approach and not waiting and using the tech available to them instead to pick them up later.

Put another way, if there was a stolen car, and Police could recognise the driver, is it better to pick them up later or to try to stop them at the time and end up having a high speed chase to catch them at the time, which would increase the chances of a crash and injury to other road users?

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Surely by wading in, you increase the risk of more people getting hurt, perhaps seriously. You know that they will resist the stewards and Police in their efforts to remove people from the crowd (you see this when it's just a couple of people so when it's 50 + resisting?) Stewards were injured in the earlier incident, do you think that any effort to remove people from the crowd would be met by people co-operating peacefully?

All you would be doing is getting to these people earlier than if you were to go via the CCTV route, but is the increased risk worth that little bit of time? Would a few getting injured be a fair trade off with apprehending them earlier?

No doubt if they had gone in and others got hurt, they would face criticism for that approach and not waiting and using the tech available to them instead to pick them up later.

Put another way, if there was a stolen car, and Police could recognise the driver, is it better to pick them up later or to try to stop them at the time and end up having a high speed chase to catch them at the time, which would increase the chances of a crash and injury to other road users?

So let them get away with doing what they like then worry about it later? I think that's just about asking for it, the stewards that were there should never have been in that situation, that has to be down to the police/club's miscalculation they need to learn from this.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
After two stewards were put in hospital due to the feral fans, I would think the stewards were told to contain the problem rather than confront it.
Yes, but when misbehaviour becomes criminal acts, that's when the police should do their job; that's why they have all their riot gear, truncheons, etc. It's not the stewards' job. Besides, stewards don't have the power of arrest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here