Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Southern Rail Again

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Over two hours from Shoreham and arrived after KO. Southern Rail is beyond a joke West Coastway 10:33 cancelled on the way back. This train is often cancelled any way.

I can understand how some fans have already given up going or are missing from evening games, although there wasn't a spare seat fifteen minutes after KO until ten minutes to go,

It would have been quicker cycling, but too cold for me. :rant:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Over two hours from Shoreham and arrived after KO. Southern Rail is beyond a joke West Coastway 10:33 cancelled on the way back. This train is often cancelled any way.

I can understand how some fans have already given up going or are missing from evening games, although there wasn't a spare seat fifteen minutes after KO until ten minutes to go,

What time was this? I'll add it to my delay repay claims- thanks

Edit: dont worry - already claimed for last nights debacle (to victoria)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

22.33 to Chichester wasn't cancelled - I was on it !

Last night was always going to be carnage, we got to Brighton station at 6.30 and was in the ground just after 7.

BroadwayGull

Jan 31, 2014
Worthing
It's infuriating.

Travelling from Falmer back to Brighton really frustrates me. Almost every time the train sits outside Brighton station for 10-15 minutes waiting for a platform to become available, causing me to miss my connecting train back up to London and adding an extra hour onto my journey.

They know the timetable, they know they are expecting a train, why the hell is there not a platform available every time?? :rant:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What time was this? I'll add it to my delay repay claims- thanks

Edit: dont worry - already claimed for last nights debacle (to victoria)

I arrived Shoreham station about ten to six, arriving ridiculously early I thought as it was cold to twiddle my thumbs. First train arrived from the west at 6:40 some 50 minutes later. All stations and packed like sardines. But it actually made good time from then onwards and arrived at Brighton bang on the hour.

This I knew from past experience was too late to arrive on time even on a Saturday. Queue down Queen's Road, outside of the station canopy. Train left 7:30 from Brighton and a dash which made me 3 minutes late for KO. It's been worse and on two occasions West Coastway trains have been missing entirely which meant a taxi (trains are better than a taxi when the trains are running). And the Fulham debacle.

10:33 from Brighton west does not seem to run in the evenings at other times as well, which means it takes two hours instead of 40 minutes to get from Three Bridges to Shoreham. I'm glad I don't have to travel on their trains every day.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
22.33 to Chichester wasn't cancelled - I was on it !

Last night was always going to be carnage, we got to Brighton station at 6.30 and was in the ground just after 7.

10;33 must have been too full to enter. This happens as often as not.

That is what I aim for to arrive at Brighton station an hour and a quarter before KO. Any later no longer works.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I arrived Shoreham station about ten to six, arriving ridiculously early I thought as it was cold to twiddle my thumbs. First train arrived from the west at 6:40 some 50 minutes later. All stations and packed like sardines. But it actually made good time from then onwards and arrived at Brighton bang on the hour.

This I knew from past experience was too late to arrive on time even on a Saturday. Queue down Queen's Road, outside of the station canopy. Train left 7:30 from Brighton and a dash which made me 3 minutes late for KO. It's been worse and on two occasions West Coastway trains have been missing entirely which meant a taxi (trains are better than a taxi when the trains are running). And the Fulham debacle.

10:33 from Brighton west does not seem to run in the evenings at other times as well, which means it takes two hours instead of 40 minutes to get from Three Bridges to Shoreham. I'm glad I don't have to travel on their trains every day.

If you're going back to Shoreham, why don't you just yomp down to Churchill Square and pick up a 700 ?

If there isn't a west coast connection pretty much sitting there when I get back to Brighton station, then that's exactly what I do. Rarely have to wait more than 15-20 minutes for a 700 to turn up, or if it is a bit of a wait then I just have a sneaky half in the Prince of Wales while I'm waiting, and watch the Sky roundup. Rounds off the evening quite nicely.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you're going back to Shoreham, why don't you just yomp down to Churchill Square and pick up a 700 ?

If there isn't a west coast connection pretty much sitting there when I get back to Brighton station, then that's exactly what I do. Rarely have to wait more than 15-20 minutes for a 700 to turn up, or if it is a bit of a wait then I just have a sneaky half in the Prince of Wales while I'm waiting, and watch the Sky roundup. Rounds off the evening quite nicely.

I've tried that w/o success. 700 bus simply did not arrive and I caught a bus to Portslade station and met the train anyway. Cycling to Brighton station was quicker,

I have tried buses, taxis and all sorts of ways to get in. Train is still the best, but the total failure rate is 5%, half failure rate (arrive at HT) is 2.5% something going wrong is 25%.

I'm getting more than a little fed up with the trains. A beaut when it goes OK. More often than not at about 60%. Almost all the failures are evening KO.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've tried that w/o success. 700 bus simply did not arrive and I caught a bus to Portslade station and met the train anyway. Cycling to Brighton station was quicker,

I have tried buses, taxis and all sorts of ways to get in. Train is still the best, but the total failure rate is 5%, half failure rate (arrive at HT) is 2.5% something going wrong is 25%.

I'm getting more than a little fed up with the trains. A beaut when it goes OK. More often than not at about 60%. Almost all the failures are evening KO.

The midweek evening timetable from Churshill Sq for the 700 is:

You MUST be able to get one of those.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Oh yeah and why do they send a goods train through Falmer at around 9:45 on a match night - surely they had opportunity earlier in the evening - it can’t help?

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
After the game caught the train back to Southwick.......
Falmer to Brighton then change
Brighton to Hove then change
Hove to Portslade then change
Portslade to ..........Southwick ...hooray

Whilst waiting for the delayed train at Portslade, a brand new shiny Thameslink train pulled up at the station, a big group of hi vis bods jump out with clipboards and tape measures starting making notes etc. Told me southern are about to loose some of their franchise and they were measuring up to check their new fleet fitted the stations. We did try to blag a ride back to Southwick but said they were not due to stop there. There may be a light at the end of this tunnel

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
After the game caught the train back to Southwick.......
Falmer to Brighton then change
Brighton to Hove then change
Hove to Portslade then change
Portslade to ..........Southwick ...hooray

Whilst waiting for the delayed train at Portslade, a brand new shiny Thameslink train pulled up at the station, a big group of hi vis bods jump out with clipboards and tape measures starting making notes etc. Told me southern are about to loose some of their franchise and they were measuring up to check their new fleet fitted the stations. We did try to blag a ride back to Southwick but said they were not due to stop there. There may be a light at the end of this tunnel

What time did you get to Southwick?
Awful trains for a long journey, but it appears more people could be crammed into the new Thameslink trains.

Thameslink going to Worthing? This means Southern Rail will stop the 10:33 for good?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What time did you get to Southwick?
Awful trains for a long journey, but it appears more people could be crammed into the new Thameslink trains.

Loads more.......agree re comfort, the seats are hard and positioned badly (window seats have heating ducts in the footwell - **** knows who thins up and tests these designs) but acres more standing room with wide aisles and no obstructions between carriages.

D

Deleted User X18H

Oh yeah and why do they send a goods train through Falmer at around 9:45 on a match night - surely they had opportunity earlier in the evening - it can’t help?

Goods trains have timetables as well I believe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here