Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When was the last time we scored from a corner?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
From a direct cross, short corner or set play where the attack has been unaffected by the defending team (not cleared to edge of box etc).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
From a direct cross, short corner or set play where the attack has been unaffected by the defending team (not cleared to edge of box etc).

Last one I saw was Murray at Brum last season,but I don't get out much.:blush:

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

Norwich (H) Dunk, Blackburn (A) Duffy and Brum (A) Murray are the last ones I remember.

Short answer, a while.

I think you might be right. Albeit the summer in the way, that's nearly a year since our last.

And making a speculative estimation of 6 corners a game over, lets say 35 games, since then that's a conversion rate of approx 1 goal for every 210 corners.

Going forward I suspect we should have a look at that, especially since we seem to be very reliant on corners being chances.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

That was the last one l remember seeing too. The short answer though has to be very very few. We won enough corners last night, (don't know the exact number, have'nt seen the stats), but it became quite obvious to me that it just wasn't going to happen. Every corner we took resulted in a long high ball into the box, which the Palace defenders took care of seemingly with relative ease. I think we need to mix it up a bit.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Dunk scored one for united at the weekend, does that count?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Considering the aerial prowess of Dunk and Duffy, I find it an eternal source of frustration that we never even seem to come close to scoring from corners.

I've given up getting excited about them now, quite honestly.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think you might be right. Albeit the summer in the way, that's nearly a year since our last.

And making a speculative estimation of 6 corners a game over, lets say 35 games, since then that's a conversion rate of approx 1 goal for every 210 corners.

Going forward I suspect we should have a look at that, especially since we seem to be very reliant on corners being chances.

We've had 64 this season already according to the stats.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Considering the aerial prowess of Dunk and Duffy, I find it an eternal source of frustration that we never even seem to come close to scoring from corners.

Agreed, although I actually felt we looked more dangerous than usual from corners last night. Dunk's one straight at Hennessey and Glenn's (?, I was in the East Stand by palace fans so couldn't actually see) blocked off the line. With how dominant Dunk and Duffy are aerially though we really should pose more of a threat.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think we need a new corner plan! It is 100% certain they will come to nothing. We had endless corners last night and never troubled the keeper

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I think the problem is more the delivery, if David Beckham were whipping in our corners, Duffy would be in double figures every season.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
We've had 64 this season already according to the stats.

The conversion rate (ie. first or second touch after a corner) for corners in the PL is appx 3pc, or roughly a 33-1 chance. On that basis, 64 without a "win" is not an unusual or unexpected sequence at all.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The conversion rate (ie. first or second touch after a corner) for corners in the PL is appx 3pc, or roughly a 33-1 chance. On that basis, 64 without a "win" is not an unusual or unexpected sequence at all.

It's funny how we all get so excited about having one with those sorts of stats! That's pretty low, even if you add on the percentage that come from corners after a few more touches, like the one at Old Trafford.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I think we need a new corner plan! It is 100% certain they will come to nothing. We had endless corners last night and never troubled the keeper

With a 0.45% chance of seeing a goal you’re not likely to.

I was thinking about this as well. Perhaps just put no one in the box, launch it back to Dunk and start again from the half way line. I got as far as thinking it wasn’t a funny idea anymore so perhaps might end up being a real plan.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Except when Big Shane is wearing an Ireland shirt of course. But your right, the two guys are amazing at getting their heads on anything in our own penalty area, so you would have thought that they would of converted at least one headed scoring chance by now.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
We've had a few chances that went very close, the Bournemouth game comes to mind. But we should be scoring more often from corners.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
It's funny how we all get so excited about having one with those sorts of stats! That's pretty low, even if you add on the percentage that come from corners after a few more touches, like the one at Old Trafford.

Indeed, but by the same token, we shouldn't be so worried when the opposition get one.

Just put it into a streak calculator. If we assume we will have 200 corners over a season, with 3pc probability of a "win" each time, then it's a 63pc chance that there will be a losing streak of 64 at some stage.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With a 0.45% chance of seeing a goal you’re not likely to.

I was thinking about this as well. Perhaps just put no one in the box, launch it back to Dunk and start again from the half way line. I got as far as thinking it wasn’t a funny idea anymore so perhaps might end up being a real plan.

If your suggestion ever becaomes reality, then we are in serious trouble! One thing is for sure though, we do need to try to sign a top new striker in January to give ourselves added options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here