Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Does the Amex stadium have a fire sprinkler system?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If not, perhaps some could be installed over the away end - with a very sensitive smoke and noise trigger?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If not, perhaps some could be installed over the away end - with a very sensitive smoke and noise trigger?

That is a terrific idea. If it rained down water on the away end every time someone let off a flare / smoke bomb, then a bit of effective self-policing would very quickly take place!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That is a terrific idea. If it rained down water on the away end every time someone let off a flare / smoke bomb, then a bit of effective self-policing would very quickly take place!

That was exactly my thought... a five minute drenching would soon encourage them to reconsider.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Problem is I believe sprinklers are activated through heat, not smoke. Must be a hose there theyu could have turned on them though :smile:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Problem is I believe sprinklers are activated through heat, not smoke. Must be a hose there theyu could have turned on them though :smile:

I'd fit a barrier that could be raised so they can't see the pitch (although last night that would have been a bonus).

Then turn the hose on them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Problem is I believe sprinklers are activated through heat, not smoke.

Only if that's how you design them. If you can set up a system to set of an alarm activated by smoke, then linking that to a sprinkler is no different.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Only if that's how you design them. If you can set up a system to set of an alarm activated by smoke, then linking that to a sprinkler is no different.

I suppose in theory that MIGHT be possible for a totally bespoke system but Sprinklers are designed to activate over a specific location, the location of the fire. This limits water damage to the entire building. If they were activated by smoke then smoke drifting from afar would set them off, needlessly damaging parts of the building. That's why sprinkler systems don't react to smoke. The scenes in Die Hard films and the like where a lighter sets off sprinklers on an entire floor is plain false, they are designed to go off only over the source of heat.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming

How about a slurry tanker? Oh ,hang on though, they'd think it was deodorant.Scum.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Simply not true.
A sprinkler system is a series of pipes with open holes (outlets). The outlets are 'filled' with a glass tube containing a liquid. When that liquid is *heated* )nothing to do with smoke, as others have said), it expands, breaks the glass, and water pours out.
A smoke detector, when it detects smoke, sends a signal to an alarm panel (which then typically, activates an alarm including bells, sirens etc).

Of course, you can set up a smoke detector that, instead of signalling to an alarm panel, activates a water cannon aimed at the away fans.....

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

Noise trigger ? One way to stop the singing and celebration of goals .

D

Deleted member 2719

Great idea, I am sure we have a plumber or two that could link this system up to their urinals for better effect.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Could always install Albion bedwetters, just above the culprits.
So when said flares go off instant soaking. :shrug:

el punal

Perhaps the pitch sprinklers could be ever so slightly adjusted to concentrate on the South Stand, and after last night's episode a rendition of 'Smoke on the water' by Deep Purple played over the P.A. at the same time. Marvellous! :drink:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I don’t think it does. If it did it would be going off every game at half time due to the smokers who can’t wait a couple of hours for a cigarette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here