Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Knocked of my bike - help please?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Cycling to work this morning and a van pulled out of a junction and sent me flying. There were no witnesses, and no CCTV or cameras nearby. I'm unhurt except a slightly sore wrist, and the driver did stop and check I was OK.

Problem is I didn't catch his details, the adrenaline was pumping and I was shaking a bit. I just wanted to get to work and knew I wasn't hurt...however my bike is badly damaged.

Is there anything I should do, other than have a word with myself about not challenging him over his stupidity and blatant disregard for road safety?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
You really should have gotten his details. If you're not already then always worth becoming a member of British Cycling. Only about £20-30 a year depending on level of membership, but includes personal accident insurance and legal support (and loads of discounts for kit). Helped me hugely after getting knocked off a few years back (after riding on the pavement and going through six red lights, obviously). Think if you join now they still might be able to help. First thing you should do is make a police report. Also, you might not be sore now, but once adrenaline wears off your body can really hurt. I managed to cycle home another 7 miles after my accident and was then off work for a few days as I could hardly walk.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Cycling to work this morning and a van pulled out of a junction and sent me flying. There were no witnesses, and no CCTV or cameras nearby. I'm unhurt except a slightly sore wrist, and the driver did stop and check I was OK.

Problem is I didn't catch his details, the adrenaline was pumping and I was shaking a bit. I just wanted to get to work and knew I wasn't hurt...however my bike is badly damaged.

Is there anything I should do, other than have a word with myself about not challenging him over his stupidity and blatant disregard for road safety?

Honestly what do you want to do/expect? Cyclists should require insurance for this kind of incident. Guy checked you are ok, you didnt get his details, no witnesses or cctv. Just be glad you ok is my opinion. Bikes can be replaced, I cant see you being able to do anything retrospectively at all

Exactly the same happened to me

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sorry this happened, but why can't my head get further than of and off, one of my pet hates along with your and you're...

Not sure how you could have challenged the driver as he drove off, unfortunately there are to many inconsiderate road users about of all persuasions...

D

Deleted member 22389

It's why I gave up cycling as I nearly got knocked off a few years ago. Women pulled right out in front of me, it shock me up. The roads are shit, there are too many cars, and some drivers just don't look. I was sick of 2nd guessing what drivers where going to do. Hope your OK.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Sorry this happened, but why can't my head get further than of and off, one of my pet hates along with your and you're...

Not sure how you could have challenged the driver as he drove off, unfortunately there are to many inconsiderate road users about of all persuasions...

That will be "too many inconsiderate road users"

glass houses....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's why I gave up cycling as I nearly got knocked off a few years ago. Women pulled right out in front of me, it shock me up. The roads are shit, there are too many cars, and some drivers just don't look. I was sick of 2nd guessing what drivers where going to do. Hope your OK.

And far too many drivers using their phones at the wheel, including texting, scrolling through music and even checking Facebook etc.
I was following someone last week that was looking through A4 sheets of paper at the wheel.

D

Deleted member 22389

And far too many drivers using their phones at the wheel, including texting, scrolling through music and even checking Facebook etc.
I was following someone last week that was looking through A4 sheets of paper at the wheel.

Oh yeah I had that too, bloke pulled out in front of me at the roundabout. He was on his bloody mobile phone, I couldn't believe it, I went mad. It's just not safe cycling anymore on the roads. On the other side I have also seen really crap cyclists, going through red lights, cyclists with no lights or bright clothing. Might as well get a mountain bike and head off road somewhere. I cycled for years and used to really love it, it all changed after the incident where I nearly got knocked off.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Don't suppose the accident happened on a junction with any cameras on local buildings etc did it? Glad you're OK.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

That was a genuine typo, I was being hasty and although I usually triple-check everything I've written...except the damn title. Sorry!

Did you have your lights on?
Did he take your details to contact you?

Broad daylight so no I did not, but maybe it's worth having them going, like modern cars with their running lights. He didn't, damage to his van was negligible.

Honestly what do you want to do/expect? Cyclists should require insurance for this kind of incident. Guy checked you are ok, you didnt get his details, no witnesses or cctv. Just be glad you ok is my opinion. Bikes can be replaced, I cant see you being able to do anything retrospectively at all

Exactly the same happened to me

Thanks, and to everyone else commenting with help and sympathy. I popped into the local police station (conveniently just opposite my place of work), as I am apparently required to do in the case of any RTC where someone sustained an injury. She said she would contact the company (it was a decorator's van) and get their side of the story, perhaps try and get contact details.

I suspect the guy was on his phone at the time, which makes my blood boil but what can you do? You can shout and vent and rage and stuff but ultimately there is no point - so I let it lie. Scary though, to think that a split second later and I would have ended up under the wheels.

Put head-cam on your Xmas list .....

I bought one ages ago from Aldi, got out of the habit of wearing it - until now.

Thanks again everyone, don't want to spam this thread by replying to you all individually but the appreciation is still there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here