Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why don't we leave a player upfield when the opposition have a corner?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We always have all ten outfield players back defending. This just invites pressure. And when we do clear the ball upfield there's no one there! Ridiculous tactic in my opinion. Palace always left Zaha upfield when we had corners which meant we had to keep two players back.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hughton was asked this at the Fans Forum and said it his personal preference and he won’t change ir

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Did they score from their set piece- no, our plan worked

Most teams bring everyone back, crowding the box makes it even harder for them to to score, leaving players up field (and therefore more of their players back too) leaves more space in our area for a team to exploit

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
If Palace have a GD of -17 and leave a player up, and we have a GD of -1 and don't, I reckon Hughton knows what he is doing, and is playing the %ages?

goldstoned

Mar 4, 2011
We always have all ten outfield players back defending. This just invites pressure. And when we do clear the ball upfield there's no one there! Ridiculous tactic in my opinion. Palace always left Zaha upfield when we had corners which meant we had to keep two players back.

I agree. I would do that and even argue why not go with more? Take tonight. Izquierdo and Knockhaert are small and fast. Won't win any headers defending corners against all the giant lumps in the box. So leave them both up. Assuming oppo would not leave 2 on 2 that means 3 of their players who have to stay back. Think it's a good chance to score and also would help relieve pressure as you say.

Still "in Chris I trust"...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Because we trust ourselves to defend the first phase, then have players up on the second phase.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Myself - and quite a few others, I suspect - agree with the OP, but CH doesn't want to do it that way, and won't change. Either we accept that's the way it's going to be, or we get rid of CH. What would you prefer?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have been asking this for ages as neither AK or Izequirdo is likely to win a ball in the air from a corner but they would force the opponents to leave at least 2 men back because of their speed both on and off the ball

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I recall a game at the Withdean where fans were calling for a player to be left up field when facing an opposition corner, the manager eventually instructed one of our players to do so, and we promptly conceded from that very corner.

Pretty sure we've also had everyone back defending a set piece and we've still broken away quickly to score (Zamora's box to box run at the Amex?)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I hate that we don't do it, but accpet that CH is a great manager and taken this club up and up. I believe his tactics work better than mine and notice its done by a lot of bigger more succesful sides than us. Plus Murray alone clears so many balls out of our box, shows its works.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What disappointed me more was the fact that we didn’t try and exploit Jose’s pace early in the game when Palace were really pushing up. A long ball over the top to him could easily have had him get away from the defenders on the half way line.

The fact that we couldn’t string two passes together without giving the ball away may have had something to do with it

Our build up was painful to watch for the most part, Palace had me worried every time they broke at pace

I was grateful for a point by the end.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What disappointed me more was the fact that we didn’t try and exploit Jose’s pace early in the game when Palace were really pushing up. A long ball over the top to him could easily have had him get away from the defenders on the half way line.

The fact that we couldn’t string two passes together without giving the ball away may have had something to do with it

Our build up was painful to watch for the most part, Palace had me worried every time they broke at pace

I was grateful for a point by the end.

Agree, if we are going to exploit Izquierdo's pace then we need to get the ball him quickly , if he then proves he can't do anything with it then that's another story. While typing this had an instant flashback of Jimmy Case, centre of the pitch spraying the ball to Steve Penney for him to run into space.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As CH explained, he feels it's far more important to defend the corner properly first and foremost and then worry about the second phase. Which seems reasonable as, if the opposition score, having someone up front watching seems a bit of a waste.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I agree. I would do that and even argue why not go with more? Take tonight. Izquierdo and Knockhaert are small and fast. Won't win any headers defending corners against all the giant lumps in the box. So leave them both up. Assuming oppo would not leave 2 on 2 that means 3 of their players who have to stay back. Think it's a good chance to score and also would help relieve pressure as you say.

Still "in Chris I trust"...

Those 2 tend to be at the edge of the area so that:

1 They can close down any balls that come out of the area to an opposition player.
2 So that they are able to create an opportunity for us by running at the opposition when we get possession back

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How many goals have we conceded from corners this year though? Ones I can think of:
- Old Trafford
- the second against Stoke
- Bournemouth's second
- Leicester's second

That's nearly a third of our goals. So, does the 'pack the box' tactic really work?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

That's nearly a third of our goals. So, does the 'pack the box' tactic really work?
Yes it does.. defensive record over the last couple of season I think justifies it.
It doesn't prevent mistakes or mishaps, but simply lessens the chances of a clear opportunity by leaving less space. It also makes breaking quickly harder to defend with numerous players running different angles, but the reality is that 1 player against 2 quality defenders, plus a GK on the edge of his box, more often than not the ball comes straight back anyway and often at a time when the defending team is pushing forwards. Works in kids football but not often enough to warrant it at top level. IMHO of course!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think we play so well on the break it encourages teams to commit more bodies forward and actually makes us more dangerous.

And I've long been of the school of thought that you should leave bodies up the pitch.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think we play so well on the break it encourages teams to commit more bodies forward and actually makes us more dangerous.

And I've long been of the school of thought that you should leave bodies up the pitch.

Trouble is last night, instead of breaking quickly - we fannied around and waited till everyone was back in place again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here