Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Palace

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Scrappy, frustrating, forgettable game. We never really got going. And we need some variety on corners.
Ryan 7. Great double save early on. Most of their other on-target shots were right at him.
Bruno 7. Decent game.
Duffy 7. He and Dunk went for the same ball on a couple of occasions, otherwise OK.
Dunk 7. Ditto.
Suttner 8. Played very well both defensively and going forward.
Stephens 6. Shocking first half. Made more passes to Palace players than to his team-mates. Much improved in the second half.
Propper 7. Better than Stephens, but guilty of some poor passes.
Knockaert 8. One of his best games recently. However a shocking corner towards the end when the ball went immediately out of play.
Izquierdo 6. Would have liked him to see more of the ball.
Gross 7. Not his best game.
Murray 6. Poor today I thought by his standards.
Subs:
March 7. Looked lively.
Hemed 6. Not really in it.
Brown 6. Would have liked him to have longer on the pitch.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Pretty much spot on, I think. I’d like to see the subs on a bit earlier normally. Tonight Murray and Gross were below par but putting Hemed and Brown for just a few minutes seems pointless to me.

And when are we ever going to score from a corner!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Scrappy, frustrating, forgettable game. We never really got going. And we need some variety on corners.
Ryan 7. Great double save early on. Most of their other on-target shots were right at him.
Bruno 7. Decent game.
Duffy 7. He and Dunk went for the same ball on a couple of occasions, otherwise OK.
Dunk 7. Ditto.
Suttner 8. Played very well both defensively and going forward.
Stephens 6. Shocking first half. Made more passes to Palace players than to his team-mates. Much improved in the second half.
Propper 7. Better than Stephens, but guilty of some poor passes.
Knockaert 8. One of his best games recently. However a shocking corner towards the end when the ball went immediately out of play.
Izquierdo 6. Would have liked him to see more of the ball.
Gross 7. Not his best game.
Murray 6. Poor today I thought by his standards.
Subs:
March 7. Looked lively.
Hemed 6. Not really in it.
Brown 6. Would have liked him to have longer on the pitch.
Generous re the 8's tonight. Average all round. Sutner was no different to Bruno. Other than that, agree with your opening comment.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Really was a shocking display, can't sugar coat the ratings any.

Ryan 7(MotM) - Earnt the man of the match entirely by that double save.
Bruno 6 - Poor balls in from the flank when in dangerous positions.
Duffy 7 - Standard good performance
Dunk 7 - See above
Suttner 7 - Best game for us
Stephens 6 - Terrible 1st half, good 2nd
Propper 5 - Looked like he has rewinded 8 games.
Knockaert 7 - Disappears for 20mins then looks dangerous for a 5min spell. Overall a good game.
Izquierdo 7 - Needs 90mins, didn't look tired. Was still tracking back well in latter stages, I'd have been pissed to have been hauled off.
Gross 6 - Not popping up in his usual danger zones, tame shot on goal.
Murray 6 - Love the bloke but didn't seem himself, some lazy flicks and backheels.

March 6
Hemed 5
Brown 5

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

Dunk 7 - See above
Knockaert 7 - Disappears for 20mins then looks dangerous for a 5min spell. Overall a good game.
Izquierdo 7 - Needs 90mins, didn't look tired. Was still tracking back well in latter stages, I'd have been pissed to have been hauled off.
Murray 6 - Love the bloke but didn't seem himself, some lazy flicks and backheels.

March 6
Hemed 5
Brown 5

I agree. Stephens had a shocker for the first 70 minutes, although he wasn't alone. I liked his shot on goal though, should do that more. Murray was poor by his normally high standards - centre forward, with ball and space in the penalty area, do you try and burst the net? or a feeble pass? Odd. It hurts me to say this, but Palace pressed us very well.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I found Izquirdo's performance particularly frustrating. Several times Suttner was in a position to play a ball through to him but he seemed to want the ball to feet. With his pace I would like to see us exploiting it by giving him balls to run onto rather than playing it to feet every time and him trying to cut inside through 3 defenders.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It’s a game of opinions but Stephens was only terrible in one way (shooting). Every time he got the ball NO ONE showed for him and he was forced to make a ‘Hollywood’ pass to try and get us up the pitch. The Albion’s problem is not the back 4 or midfield - it’s the movement and quality of the front players. Apart from Knocky they were all OFF it last night.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
From a lofty perch in WSU, I thought Palace did a good job in the first half. Seemed the wide men came in very narrow whenever they attacked, leaving Stephens and Propper heavily outnumbered. Fullbacks then trying to provide the width, which left a bit of space we didn’t really exploit. Shame we couldn’t really get going. I’m in the camp that would also like to see some earlier subs sometimes, but Brown is the only one who might really shake things up centrally - and that means taking off the man who’s been involved in the vast majority of our goals. It’s a conundrum.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ryan 7 - Stockdaleesque double save - brilliant
Bruno 7
Dunk 6
Duffy 6
Suttner 7
Knockaert 7
Propper 6
Stephens 6
Izquierdo 6
Gross 6
Murray 5

Subs n/a brought in too late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan 7

Bruno 6
Duffy 6
Dunk 8
Suttner 7

Knockaert 7
Stephens 6
Pröpper 8
Izquierdo 7

Groß 7

Murray 6

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Ryan 8. Excellent double save (again). It's not that people shoot directly at him - more a case of excellent positioning on his part. MoM
Bruno 6
Duffy 7
Dunk 7
Suttner 8. Very good return
Knockaert 6. Lots of ineffective showboating but signs of return to confidence. Not sure he actually troubled the defenders much though
Propper 7. Got forward a bit more again
Stephens 6. Some poor passes because of poor positioning by team mates
Izquierdo 6. People don't seem to like passing to him for some reason. Put in a good shift though and uses his upper body strength well
Gross 6. Quiet and didn't make anything happen
Murray 6.

March 6
Hemed 5 - didn't get the chance to do anything
Brown 5. Got into some good positions but unwilling to fight for the ball

In all two mediocre teams with excellently drilled defences and toothlesss attacks cancelled one another out. We are allowed to have possession down the flanks because it has been sussed that we've usually got no one to get on the end of crosses.
In all a wasted evening (poor game, Palace neanderthals, Southern Rail)

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I think we’ve got a problem with Izquierdo. He’s undoubtedly got a lot of talent, but doesn’t seem to fit with the team at all. There was no meaningful relationship with Suttner, he constantly looks to cut in when going round the outside might be the better option, and I can’t remember him putting a decent cross in as long as I’ve seen him. Murray’s only channel when he’s on is from the right.

When Solly came on last night, the attacking purpose became much clearer, his pace created space for Gross and Suttner to exploit and Palace’s defence looked worried for the first time - pretty much as he did against United.

Hughton obviously has something against Solly right now - probably defensively - but against sides like Palce we need to score. Their heads would have gone down if we’d have gone ahead.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Dunk 7 - See above

March 6
Hemed 5
Brown 5

How I saw it. Par at best from the majority, if not a bit below - surprising given the opposition. Maybe CH talked down the rivalry too much..........................if we were playing now it would still be 0-0. Izquierdo was great defensively, and made several good runs that weren't used or weren't even seen. He's starting to look frustrated. We need to give him the ball more.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
From a lofty perch in WSU, I thought Palace did a good job in the first half. Seemed the wide men came in very narrow whenever they attacked, leaving Stephens and Propper heavily outnumbered. Fullbacks then trying to provide the width, which left a bit of space we didn’t really exploit. Shame we couldn’t really get going. I’m in the camp that would also like to see some earlier subs sometimes, but Brown is the only one who might really shake things up centrally - and that means taking off the man who’s been involved in the vast majority of our goals. It’s a conundrum.

Totally agree with this. Hodgson is obviously trying to make them harder to beat away from home and packed the middle of the pitch, as you say this left Stephens and Propper outnumbered and with very little space which was forcing them to make errors.

We were trying to play with width when we had the ball but it seemed like Izquerdo, Murray and Gross were always too far away forcing our players to try for the hollywood pass and thread it through a group of palace players every time. It was only really Knocky who was dropping deeper to collect the ball which I suspect is why he appeared to have a better game than the others

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Knockheart did well.Izquierdo should have been replaced earlier.Only give the ball to Murray if he's one touch away from scoring but don't give it to him further away from goal as he won't do anything with it.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Ryan - 8 - for the world class save early on and good distribution throughout

Bruno - 7 - Typical Bruno - plenty of flair going forward and overlapped well with AK
Dunk - 7 - thought he shackled Zaha pretty well. Composed on the ball
Duffy - 7 - solid and dominant in the air / handled Benteke well
Suttner - 7 - slightly worried when I saw him on the team sheet, but thought he had a good game and looked composed throughout

Knockaert - 7.5 - very good at times, both going forward and defensively.
Propper - 6 - least effective game for a while and got crowded out in midfield
Stephens - 5 - poor passing in the first half in particular.Thought Palace did a job on him by denying him the space to pull the strings
Izquierdo - 7 - thought he looked threatening but didn’t quite open them up

Gross - 6.5 - quieter game by his standards
Murray - 6 - caught offside a lot in the first half and didn’t seem to play his natural game, trying too many flicks instead of holding the call up

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here