Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] A bloody rat has got in!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Looks like a Roland has taken up residence in my kitchen.
Must have got in (from where, I know not: first floor flat here!) on Sunday as first evidence Monday Morning.
Suspect it's hiding out under the boiler, behind the unmovable cupboard. So can't even see the thing, let alone target it.

I've ordered a live trap. Beats walking into a horror showing in the morning.

Anyone had this problem before and offer any suggestions?

Cheers

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Should leave after the match tonight.You should be more welcoming to away fans.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
My neighbours got pest control out & they ate poison & died (under the floor boards) leaving it to stink for 2 to 3 weeks

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
gun.jpg

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We get this problem on and off. It's infuriating and you have my sympathies.

First thing to do is to work out where they're getting in because even if you trap/kill this one, others will pick up the trail it's left and will find the same way in. And rats breed very quickly and also spread around the house/flat.

For about £25 you can buy an electronic rat trap that zaps the critter quickly, cleanly and painlessly. I think that would be a better option than catching it alive because what what would you do with the thing?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For about £25 you can buy an electronic rat trap that zaps the critter quickly, cleanly and painlessly. I think that would be a better option than catching it alive because what what would you do with the thing?

Ratatouille for dinner

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

First thing to do is to work out where they're getting in because even if you trap/kill this one, others will pick up the trail it's left and will find the same way in. And rats breed very quickly and also spread around the house/flat.

Thanks, Monkey Man.
I assume it got in through the wall by the boiler as he's living it up in the kitchen and there's no holes in the skirting board.
I've decided to be a little more swashbuckling, so have purchased an electronic trap and some old fashioned squisher traps too. Might as well go for the overkill option.

If it survives the awaiting carnage and finds its way into the live trap, there are some neighbours I'm none to fond of who may soon develop a rat problem...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Another vote for the Rat Zapper. They had suddenly started to come into our garage (something to with the demolition of some sheds up the road I reckon). We got 3 on consecutive days and that was that. Horrible bloody things.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Looks like a Roland has taken up residence in my kitchen.
Must have got in (from where, I know not: first floor flat here!) on Sunday as first evidence Monday Morning.
Suspect it's hiding out under the boiler, behind the unmovable cupboard. So can't even see the thing, let alone target it.

I've ordered a live trap. Beats walking into a horror showing in the morning.

Anyone had this problem before and offer any suggestions?

Cheers

I put a piece of bread with nutella and peanut butter on it when I had a problem. If they are alive in the cage then careful how you pick it up, they will jump at you. i found I picked up the cage by putting in two bamboo canes. Also most traps have a buddy trap door at opposite end - If you drop the cage they can escape thru it. I blocked mine up with a piece of wood.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Probably not a rat , they avoid downstairs living areas in most cases , more like a gang of mice that have read the express weather forecast and have moved in for the winter , the droppings will identify the culprit , start off with one standard size mousetrap loaded with peanut butter , don't use cheese it just turns them into muscle bound mega mice who then really take the piss and use the traps as non membership gyms for family and friends .

best_motivational_gif.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
As a throw-in,I have used a company in Newhaven for rodent-killing stuff,called Seahaven Ltd.Give them a try if you need anything-good service.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Probably not a rat , they avoid downstairs living areas in most cases , more like a gang of mice that have read the express weather forecast and have moved in for the winter , the droppings will identify the culprit , start off with one standard size mousetrap loaded with peanut butter , don't use cheese it just turns them into muscle bound mega mice who then really take the piss and use the traps as non membership gyms for family and friends .

View attachment 91524

first floor flat

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

It was a rat. It startled me around 1am this morning, (it) scurrying through the hallway.
Droppings also cranberry-sized.
And I can assure you that mice could not have caused the carnage I found in the kitchen this morning.
Shame as mouse trap much cheaper. Sigh.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here