Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Katie Hopkins in Lewes

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but what do people think about Katie Hopkins being prevented from speaking in Lewes on Saturday evening?

I've only a vague notion of who she is, although the consensus seems to be that she's a vile right-wing bigot. But even in that case, isn't it better to let her reveal herself for what she is, much as Nick Griffin of the BNP did on Question Time a few years back? Or is her 'hate speech' so far out of court that a suitable response is to match her with equal hate, including intimidation of those who bought tickets to attend the event?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/protesters-gag-katie-hopkins-festival-11589779

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
She thrives on controversial publicity, so to my mind, the best thing to have happened, was for people to ignore her completely. Unfortunately, this has given her the publicity she craves.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but what do people think about Katie Hopkins being prevented from speaking in Lewes on Saturday evening?

I've only a vague notion of who she is, although the consensus seems to be that she's a vile right-wing bigot. But even in that case, isn't it better to let her reveal herself for what she is, much as Nick Griffin of the BNP did on Question Time a few years back? Or is her 'hate speech' so far out of court that a suitable response is to match her with equal hate, including intimidation of those who bought tickets to attend the event?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/protesters-gag-katie-hopkins-festival-11589779

i assume this is for comedy or are people genuinely comparing her to fascists? she's a Mail columnist who speaks her mind and shares her opinion with a large minority of the population, whether you like it or not. hate speech? its about as hateful as an Al Murray routine. this agenda of silencing anyone is undemocratic and we should be very wary of the leftist that drive this.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
She's a septic gash of a ****. But being prevented for speaking? Is this those bloody snowflakes at it again? Why not use it as a platform to engage and debate with her.

That's exactly what I think. I was disappointed to read that one of the people preventing her from speaking was a University of Sussex philosophy lecturer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fired Apprentice candidate.

How she ever didn't just fade back into the shadows I'll never know.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
i assume this is for comedy or are people genuinely comparing her to fascists? she's a Mail columnist who speaks her mind and shares her opinion with a large minority of the population, whether you like it or not. hate speech? its about as hateful as an Al Murray routine. this agenda of silencing anyone is undemocratic and we should be very wary of the leftist that drive this.

She doesn't "speak her mind." She's a troll. She's walking clickbait and best ignored.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A shame she didn't rock up on the 4th and complain of feeling a bit nippy...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
She thrives on controversial publicity, so to my mind, the best thing to have happened, was for people to ignore her completely. Unfortunately, this has given her the publicity she craves.
This. Would have been lovely if she had been allowed to speak to rows of empty chairs.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
What a bunch of tiresome crusties. protesting. Even getting kids involved.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
She's 3 weeks too late.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Useless PC leftie bleeding heart liberals being oh so faux outraged by a racist, facist, bigoted little ex Daily Mail columnist, sad and pathetic isn't it?

Well, no it isn't. The protestors and offended types are actually denying the right of free speech to others. They are using bully boy tactics to ensure that no views other than those they approve of are shared or discussed. These are the tactics of a totalitarian culture that seeks to impose its will upon others without recourse to law. We ignore this culture at our peril, something very similar led to the rise of Hitler.

Maybe the modern version of Nazism is Momentum?

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Go along and debate if you think you have a counter argument, just banning people from speaking their own opinions cause they're different to your own sounds a bit fascist to me .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Katie says some horrible things but she not be physically attacked because of it. It's probably Antifa that did it, it sounds very cowardly attack which is their m.o.

D

Deleted member 22389

Only our opinion counts, otherwise we will get your event shut down. If you don't agree with our opinion your x,y,z

Pathetic lot.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fired Apprentice candidate.

How she ever didn't just fade back into the shadows I'll never know.

Nope, she was put through to the final by Sir Alan (at that time) but she resigned from the process because she's a dirty, rotten and vile scum of a woman who represents all that is terrible about our country.

But she shouldn't be banned from speaking, I understand why they thought they were doing the right thing but they weren't. Even a a pitiful moron like her should be allowed to speak.

As Ian Hislop said about the Daily Mail, "you don't ban it, you just don't buy it!".

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Some people have a messed up view of 'freedom of speech', Katie Hopkins peddles hate and should not have a platform to do so. Well done the good people of Lewes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here