Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Console purchase advice

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We have an Xbox 360 which is, essentially, a Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare machine for my 7-y-o.

We want to get him a new console for Christmas and are tending towards the Xbox One for no good reason other than already having a 360.

1) Is there anything obvious we'd miss out in buying an Xbox over a PS4?

2) Is there any real need to pay what seems to be quite a premium for the 1tb Xbox over the 500gb one?

Thanks and that.

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
We have an Xbox 360 which is, essentially, a Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare machine for my 7-y-o.

We want to get him a new console for Christmas and are tending towards the Xbox One for no good reason other than already having a 360.

2) Is there any real need to pay what seems to be quite a premium for the 1tb Xbox over the 500gb one?

Thanks and that.

I got a Nintendo Switch recently and cant put it down... Zelda and Mario are both amazing games... your kids will love them too!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Don’t get too hung up on the size of the hard drive - both consoles will allow you to add a usb hard drive at a later stage if you need more space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I have a Switch and PS4. Don’t get much spare time playing them, but both amazing machines. Mario Odyssey on the Switch is the best game I’ve played in years.

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire

1. If you haven't identified any particular games you want, then the two are broadly equivalent (PSVR is one difference).

2. If you are comparing the 500GB machine with the recently-released Xbox One X, be aware it is more capable hardware generally, not just the hard disk. Plays the same games though.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don’t get too hung up on the size of the hard drive - both consoles will allow you to add a usb hard drive at a later stage if you need more space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed - we originally had a 360 and the last year got the One S 500GB. Just recently plugged a 2TB drive into one of the USB ports at a cost of just under £70 to make it 2.5TB total capacity.

On a separate matter, having both a 360 and One S means for some games (especially World of Tanks) 2 people in the family can play together. My sons (11 and 14) and I frequently buddy up in a platoon, one on each machine, in our Tigers.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I've just upgraded to an Xbox one as there are some great deals around. I'd recommend it if your lad is already familiar with the feel of an Xbox. 500gb perfectly sufficient for us, can always add more later if needed. Having said all That, I've spent the past few weeks on the snes mini.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Got my 7 y/o grandson a Sega mega drive cos he's quite into Sonic,so hoping to get a game or two.(don't mind getting beat)

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

Thanks and that.

They are both excellent consoles but I guess you’d lean towards what your are used to as I would with the PS. Also worth considering what titles are available as console exclusives and whether you would lean towards on of those particular releases

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They are both excellent consoles but I guess you’d lean towards what your are used to as I would with the PS. Also worth considering what titles are available as console exclusives and whether you would lean towards on of those particular releases

Yeah, it's the console exclusives that I refer to in terms of "missing out" as I have no idea what they are. But, frankly, he's 7 and it strikes me a lot of the bigger titles are very much for older kids and adults and he'll not be playing them anyway.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Yeah, it's the console exclusives that I refer to in terms of "missing out" as I have no idea what they are. But, frankly, he's 7 and it strikes me a lot of the bigger titles are very much for older kids and adults and he'll not be playing them anyway.

In that case I would stick to what he is used to. There are plenty of sites that will give you info on console exclusives though. For Xbox Forza was one of the biggies but like you say that’s more for a slightly (not much) older demographic

I can’t stand the Xbox controllers myself and it used to put me off how much noise the old Xbox used to make so never went back to it.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011

Thanks and that.

I bought my now 10yr old an Xbox one a few years ago with 500gb and he’s never filled it up. He has that plants vs zombies too is forever playing Fifa or some game that looks like it’s 1990 all over again. Recently we bought a second one for the front room and discovered if you buy and download a game online then you can install it on and play on both Xbox’s at the same time. We play Fifa in two different rooms against each other yet only paid for it once! It’s all legit too! Annoyingly he’s now better at it than I am so I try and avoid him if he asks for a game...

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Thanks and that.

Please make sure you buy it from Amazon thats all the help I can offer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&link_code=hom&tag=northstandcha-21

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
In your circumstances, Darren, I'd 100% go for a Nintendo Switch - for it's multiplayer and portability.

Best deal around: Nintendo Switch Neon with Super Mario Odyssey & Mario Rabbids - £299 - from 10am tomorrow at Amazon.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Apple Pippin.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Family are pulling together to get my seven-year-old nephew an early Xmas present in the form of an Xbox after he was diagnosed with type one diabetes last week. Poor little lad, I'd do anything to take the pain away from him. I know I shouldn't say it but he's my favourite out of the three. So quiet and polite. I just hope the other two don't get jealous because he's had such a hard time of it lately.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Depends how into gaming you are. The gaming community overwhelmingly seems to prefer the PS4 over the Xbox. The standard PS4 machine is more powerful and has arguably better exclusive titles. That being said Xbox has backwards compatibility so you can play 360 games. Of course, if you’re not too bothered go with your own preference. I went from 360 to PS4 and found it no issue at all. Only advice I’d give is go for a 1tb console. My PS4 is 500g and it holds about 5 games. Which isn’t ideal if you have an extensive collection.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The gaming community overwhelmingly seems to prefer the PS4. The standard PS4 machine is more powerful and has arguably better exclusive titles. That being said Xbox has backwards compatibility so you can play 360 games. Of course, if your not too bothered go with your own preference. I went from 360 to PS4 and found it no issue at all.

Same here. Went from XBox 360 to PS4. Certainly made the correct decision. I still enjoyed my 360. The more mature gamer plays on PS4. Kids Xbox.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here