Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin o Neil - Everton....

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Suspect he would turn it down. He is on a wave, competing with some of the best managerial minds in world on a weekly basis. And probably no more money to move. The Ireland job will be around in a few years for him

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He’s spent a few years re-building his reputation, with the aim of becoming a successful and highly-regarded PL manager. He’s not going to jack that in after 6 months to take a Mickey Mouse international job.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The difference with being an international manager is the fact you tend to get a bit more time than in the Premiership. You normally get a couple of qualifying cycles before being dumped if you fail but may even get 3 cycles if you are close. Also incredibly frustrating when the big clubs pull their players out suffering chapped thighs. I'd like to think he stays.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
When I ran into the Hughton family in the aftermath of the Derby v Huddesrfield carnage at The Amex on Easter Monday in the West Lower, his lovely daughter Aisha told me that her Dad has no interest in international football management when I asked this very question.

If Aisha says it 'aint going to happen, then it 'aint going to happen.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Hmmmm...

If this happens, their number one target will be hughton. Can't see him turning down an Ireland job!

I have very few concerns about jobs coming up that would tempt him away, and that certainly is NOT one of them. No chance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So International managers are giving up managing International teams to manage Premier League teams and yet you think CH will find the Ireland job more attractive than the one he has? Personally I don’t think so.

I get the very distinct impression that CH is bloody loving it here at the moment.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What do international managers actually DO in between games. A bit of light gardening, wallpaper the spare room, take the dog for walks, deflea the cat, snooze at dull league games? Once you have picked the team (and let's face it, there is hardly much quality competition for England places these days), and made up some excuses for the press conferences, it must be the easiest job in the world.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that he may look at the job if it comes up in about 4 years time after he has finished the job with us and established us as a Premier team and see it as a retirement job but not at the moment.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The only international job I'd be worried about is England if Southgate blunders Russia.

There are only a handful of club jobs I'd be worried about too, all very unlikely.

He'll be our manager for a long time.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Can easily see him turning down the Ireland job

You can only work with what you've got, whereas being a club manager you can (to some extent) bring in players that you want.

Being an international manager is not now regarded as it once was, and attracts a lower quality of candidate.

Would Gareth Southgate get a top job now? Don't think so. And where did Chris Coleman go? To the bottom of the Championship!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last week's Monday night club discussed the merry go round. Eventually someone ask why CH's name never comes up. The eloquent reply made by someone I forget was along the lines of 'his name never comes up because everyone knows he won't leave Brighton. He's invested so much of himself in the club, is adored by the supporters, has a cracking relationship with the owner, is trusted, and is doing well, and knows what it's like to be shafted by cockwomble owners - he's going nowhere'. :shrug::lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I get the feeling that the international managers don't get paid as much as their counterparts in the PL (though the England job - i.e. when we paid for expensive foreign managers like Sven - might be the exception), so no, I can't see CH busting a gut to manage Ireland. Maybe for a nice little part-time job when he retires, but not before........

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
He’s spent a few years re-building his reputation, with the aim of being ecoming a successful and highly-regarded PL manager. He’s not going to jack that in after 6 months to take a Mickey Mouse international job.

Hold on. No one said anything about him being offered the England job.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Based on the first 10 mins v Southampton he’s got a hard job to get Everton playing again

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here