Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Decisions going against smaller teams

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
Anyone feel like we’re getting short changed by refs/line-o’s at the moment or is it just blue and white tinted glasses?

Always thought the ‘little clubs don’t get decisions’ in the prem was bollocks but seems that way this season

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Anyone feel like we’re getting short changed by refs/line-o’s at the moment or is it just blue and white tinted glasses?

Always thought the ‘little clubs don’t get decisions’ in the prem was bollocks but seems that way this season

It's the tint. There was an offside against Man Utd today that wasn't, could have led to a goal if play had continued. Generally the refs have been good, only one crap one so far

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Martial dived first half, thought he was going to give it, but didn't, Bong barged one of there's over on the edge of the box nothing given, young offside when he wasn't, Murray winning a lot of soft fouls. Think we got the rub today, just that darn non-corner that ended up being a goal

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thought there was a potential Fellaini hand ball near the end but haven't seen any replays anywhere.

Would have been a soft penalty if given - more like his lower shoulder than his actual arm, although there was probably a bit of both.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, you do wonder, although when I watch games on the box, involving teams where I have no interest in who wins, it is amazing how fair the ref actually is!! Several posters on here mentioned that the Stoke players were ignoring the idiot on Tuesday night and realised they could get away with it. It might just be that other established PL teams know the strengths and weaknesses of the refs and what to expect/get away with more than we do. Perhaps decisions balance themselves out by the end of the season, but we do seem to be victims of some awful referring at times, though I suspect that all fans ay that!

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014

I agree - keep your eyes on Burnley v Arsenal today - especially after it gets past 90 minutes.

In both games last season, we were "cheated" out of a point by a 94th minute offside/handball goal and in the return match by a 96th minute penalty when it should have been a free-kick to us for an offside.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It wasa cllear home town decision for the corner from which they scored.The Fellaini handball could have been given but generally he was reasonably fair. Ofcourse, the red twats refusing to give the ball back after Knocy's injury is another matter. Gamesmanship pure and simple. Attempting to gain an unfair advantage.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not all of their Swedish fans would agree

swedes.JPG

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree - keep your eyes on Burnley v Arsenal today - especially after it gets past 90 minutes.

In both games last season, we were "cheated" out of a point by a 94th minute offside/handball goal and in the return match by a 96th minute penalty when it should have been a free-kick to us for an offside.

So you think a bit of luck is due your way to even it up :wink:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Time wasting? Compared to Stoke at the Amex we were getting the ball back in play in nano seconds

United were no different once they took the lead. Whoever got subbed in the second half: I've seen half marathons run in less time than it took one of them took to walk off.

I think these things generally do balance out. Yes, that Shawcross incident against Stoke was a poor one, but some referees would have given Murray a red a few minutes later for the late challenge on a City player.

The human brain is far more inclined to remember things when we believe we've been wronged (and also when a result hasn't gone our way) :)

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Poppycock! You are being paranoid. No chance this will be decided by a controversial penalty to Arsenal in added time again... Oh!!!!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lee Mason strikes again.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Three elements to this:

- refs by and large even-handed
- media clearly has a big six focus, if not bias (1,000 global Man U customers for each of ours)
- FA prostitutes itself to the media. Knobs think they are businessmen when they’re just puppets.

Until the FA is independent, strong and fair then these nagging doubts will persist. The refs are the symptom, not the cause.

FA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here