Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Indeed. Two games in a row we have been at the wrong end of poor officiating. The media don't seem to be mentioning today's decisions much either, presumably because we're Brighton. Not even a mention of it on the BBC match report.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I watched on TSN in Canada and the showed the reply of the corner from multiple angles. They thought it wasn’t a corner. Also Lukaku has a kick out at Bong as the Corner comes in. Should have been a free kick. These replays were shown within 20 seconds. With VAR the goal would not have stood, a goal kick given and booking for Lukaku.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Wouldn't have been used for either of those decisions, and rightly so. Can't be reviewing video replays for corner decisions or apparent fouls the refs not seen else players would be asking for VAR every 30 seconds.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
The media don't seem to be mentioning today's decisions much either, presumably because we're Brighton. Not even a mention of it on the BBC match report.

The BT Sport panel were reviewing it over and over. They were all convinced it wasn't a corner, except Graham Poll (the ref expert) who unsurprisingly agreed with the ref that March got a touch on it.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Wouldn't have been used for either of those decisions, and rightly so. Can't be reviewing video replays for corner decisions or apparent fouls the refs not seen else players would be asking for VAR every 30 seconds.

Review of the goal would have shown the Lukaku kick on Bong. The VAR will review potential game changing decisions. So how can you say the VAR would not have buzzed the ref to say goal kick? I get that at first it may only be used for basic reviews but in time it will work as Hawkeye does. As I said, there was a foul in play as the corner comes in by Lukaku on Bong, In fact he has 2 kicks at him.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Solly March admitted getting a touch before it went out, in which case VAR buzzing for a goal kick would have been a mistake. The kick out on Bong however...

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Solly March admitted getting a touch before it went out, in which case VAR buzzing for a goal kick would have been a mistake. The kick out on Bong however...

Hasn’t Hughton said he didn’t think it was. I’m not sure these rumours that March said he got a touch are true.

CH: "I thought he (Dunk) was very good again but frustrated. We had an opportunity before the goal to clear it. I don't think it was a corner and the manner of the goal was very disappointing." #bhafc

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Where did he admit this? Multiple replays showed he never touched it.

The BT Sport panel were reviewing it over and over. They were all convinced it wasn't a corner, except Graham Poll (the ref expert) who unsurprisingly agreed with the ref that March got a touch on it.

Did they say anything about the kick from Lukaku?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Hasn’t Hughton said he didn’t think it was. I’m not sure these rumours that March said he got a touch are true.

CH: "I thought he (Dunk) was very good again but frustrated. We had an opportunity before the goal to clear it. I don't think it was a corner and the manner of the goal was very disappointing." #bhafc

From the BBC:

"I thought we made a really good account of ourselves. Sometimes the margins can be that little bit of brilliance or that little bit of fortune and it very much was that. (The) two most disappointing things are we got into some good positions and we needed to make more of them, and the goal itself. My view at the time, it wasn’t a corner. Having seen it again, it wasn’t a corner.

"In a tight affair we were good value and I’m really disappointed not to come away with anything.

"We looked to get into that final third as often as we could. I thought we were very brave on the ball."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Using Rugby as a guideline had they scored a try the VAR would have shown the kick out by Lukaku so it would have been disallowed. The point of a corner or goal kick wouldnt have come into the reckoning and consideration

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here