Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How many hours a week do you do at work?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I've noticed many unscrupulous companies increasing hours like there's no tomorrow and was wondering how your quality of life is deteriorating because of the demands in the modern day.

It's gone from 37.5 to 40 to 45 to 50 for many and I'm sure many actually do far more than that???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
About 50

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
5 or 6

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
40 plus overtime when necessary, which is probably only about six weeks a year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Work 8:30-16:30, and work through my lunch break 99 times out of 100.

Used to abuse the shit out of my old jobs overtime system. Once managed to get paid for the equivalent of 80 hours work in a week using a loop hole in the rules regarding overtime and holiday. Was a pretty low paying job but was still a nice little wedge of cash just before Christmas. Tried to do something similar the next week so the company changed the policy to stop me :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Around 45 though sometimes 50+

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of equal importance: how much time do you devote to work including getting there and back?

I have no idea how much I work, as I now work for myself. I installed toggl to help me measure what I do and I keep forgetting to use it. However my key priority is flexibility as to both when and where I work.

When: I can pick up work as and when I choose. I largely cruised through today not doing a great deal, but I have just had a little flurry now (at 11pm on a Friday night) loading up Buffer with content to go out tomorrow to twitter, facebook and instagram accounts I am managing for a company. Despite the fact I could do all of this work tomorrow from my phone on the train, I may not be in the best state to do it, so I'm now ahead of the game. I take my son to and from school every day, take the dog out when I want (or when it's not raining) and if I want to be lazy I can be.

Where: As long as I have my MacBook and internet connectivity I can do what I need to do. This allowed me to sod off on a trip by myself earlier this year for 10 days or so. I wasn't particularly productive whilst away but I was able to cover off what I needed to do.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
week 1 : 73 hours
week 2 : 22 hours
week 3 : 46 hours
week 4 : 0 hours
week 5 : 39 hours

Averages out to 36 hours a week. Don't do any overtime any more except bank holidays if I am rostered in (which I am on Xmas day, boxing day and NY day).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
35 hours

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I've noticed many unscrupulous companies increasing hours like there's no tomorrow and was wondering how your quality of life is deteriorating because of the demands in the modern day.

It's gone from 37.5 to 40 to 45 to 50 for many and I'm sure many actually do far more than that???

I thought the working time directive restricted the working week to no more than 48 hours (including overtime) on average over a 17 week period, unless the employee opts out.
On this basis how are firms expanding the working week to 50 hours.

There seems to be a desire to go back to Victorian working conditions.
How long before people are working twenty nine hours a day down mill

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
ATM working in Ashford Kent leave at 5.30am home at 6 pm on a day rate and it's hard . Local jobs can be a 40hour week including travel, rough with the smooth.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Too many...generally work six days a week for nine months of the year ....3pm home kick offs knock that to 5 and a half ..February’s quiet and i’ll take at 3 weeks off hopefully

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Out of interest, which companies have you noticed doing this, and is it unscrupulous?

Changing terms and conditions of employment happens from time to time dependent on market forces, changes in legislation amongst other reasons . If you’re paid by the hour then you’re going to earn more. If your company needs to tighten its belt then surely it’s better for the staff to be able to contribute, rather than the company having to put its prices up, become uncompetitive and end up having to lay staff off.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here