Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Why are there dedicated HD channels?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Following on for the the other HD thread.
Why do they broadcast them on there own separate channel?

If you were to to view them on a 720 tv you would just see it in SD in the same way back when god was a boy all broadcasts were in colour but if you had a black & white TV you just saw it in B&W.

Is there a necessity for them to be broadcast on a separate channel?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It’s a good question and one I meant to add into my post on the other thread. I’d love to know if there’s a sensible reason.

At least the HD ones should be on the default (lowest number) channel now, like BBC2 is. Why aren’t the others?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Haven't read the other thread.

However, annoying watching progs in HD and then when it goes to local news HD stops and you have to change back to standard format.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Following on for the the other HD thread.
Why do they broadcast them on there own separate channel?

If you were to to view them on a 720 tv you would just see it in SD in the same way back when god was a boy all broadcasts were in colour but if you had a black & white TV you just saw it in B&W.

Is there a necessity for them to be broadcast on a separate channel?

Surely it is just because the main broadcasters of sport can then charge more/fleece their loyal (long suffering and exploited) customers.

One would have thought that after recovering start up costs of wide screen > HD > UHD > 3D etc. that it may be good customer service to gradually ease up on the additional charges but there you go !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here