Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] English (Sussex) Wines

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Was just about to make a reservation at Isaacs when I noticed that all their wines are from English, Sussex based producers. Now this isn't necessarily a deal breaker and I'm not a wine snob but I wondered what people's experiences and recommendations were for Sussex wines?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was just about to make a reservation at Isaacs when I noticed that all their wines are from English, Sussex based producers. Now this isn't necessarily a deal breaker and I'm not a wine snob but I wondered what people's experiences and recommendations were for Sussex wines?

I think sparkling wines from Sussex rival some of the best champagnes. We produce some excellent white wines here in Sussex too.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I think Sussex Wines are fantastic. I have only drunk sparkling wine. My favorites are as follows:-

1. Beaky Bottom (Rodmell, Nr Lewes)
2. Ridgeview (Ditchling)
3. Bluebell Estate & Vineyard (Furners Green)

I would rate all of the above as superior wines to Champagne (in the equivalent price range).

My favorite is Bluebell Estate.

I hope you enjoy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sparkling and whites from Sussex are excellent, Nyetimber being my favourite.

I've had the wine pairing at Isaccs. I didn't like the Plumpton red wine at all but everything else was spot on.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bolney Estate produced a Pinot Noir that was excellent. If you can find it still, buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Highdown Vineyard in Worthing produce a very nice white, and some other wines (I can't vouch for the others).

http://www.highdownvineyard.co.uk/our-wines/

Also, Tinwood off the A27 past Arundel do a lovely sparkling wine (not tried their other wines though)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I think Sussex Wines are fantastic. I have only drunk sparkling wine. My favorites are as follows:-

1. Beaky Bottom (Rodmell, Nr Lewes)
2. Ridgeview (Ditchling)
3. Bluebell Estate & Vineyard (Furners Green)

I would rate all of the above as superior wines to Champagne (in the equivalent price range).

My favorite is Bluebell Estate.

I hope you enjoy.

:laugh:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’ve been to Isaacs and they are very enthusiastic about their Sussex wines. My only real experience of Sussex wines previously is the sparkling stuff.. which I like a lot. So I went to Isaacs with an open mind. And to be honest the whole experience was fine. They talked me through the different wines and I sampled many which I’d ordinarily not be inclined to try. Was I convinced to buy local wines at n offy myself...probably not. We’re they good? Yes. Would I try a Sussex wine flight/pairing again. Certainly. My message is give it a go and be pleasantly surprised....I hope.

I add the caveat that whilst I could bore you shitless about beer* I am not even a beginner when it comes to wine.

* just ask the wife and my friends.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i like the Ridgeview, was selected for the Queen's jubillee (or something).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Breakup Bottom and Wiston Estate are my choices for Sussex fizz. Sugrue Pierre is worth splashing out on if you can find it. Dermot Pierre is the Wine maker for Wiston and others.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Stopham Estate near Pulborough makes some decent still wines. Quite fruity and not as acidic and austere as many English wines can be.

I think some vintages of the Bolney Pinot Noir are absolutely brilliant too, which you certainly couldn't have said a few years ago. Quite Burgundian in style.

I like Breaky Bottom fizz and it's not just a Champagne-alike – they use the Seyval grape in some of the blends which adds a nice English note.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Last edited:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Court Garden in Ditchling makes some fantastic sparkling wine. They've won awards in blind taste testing up against wines from Champagne..

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bolney Estate produced a Pinot Noir that was excellent. If you can find it still, buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very much so - I've got a case of it (well, probably half a case now :lolol:) that I bought when we did the tour there. As well as the Ridgeview sparkling, the 'Bolney Bubbly' is very good too. Certainly comparable with some good-name champagnes I reckon (but I'm not an expert, just like drinking it)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think sparkling wines from Sussex rival some of the best champagnes. We produce some excellent white wines here in Sussex too.

Indeed we do, hoping to try some one day, still waiting to see a bottle of either at Morrisons in my price bracket of £6-£7 a bottle.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sparkling and whites from Sussex are excellent, Nyetimber being my favourite.

I've had the wine pairing at Isaccs. I didn't like the Plumpton red wine at all but everything else was spot on.

Pretty much this, if we're talking about what's going on at Isaac's. This is a good place to drink English fizz -- which now has an international reputation -- as the mark-ups on it are pretty low, certainly in terms of percentages. Whites are interesting and good quality too, reds less so, although as several have pointed out Bolney Pinot Noir is well worth a go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here