Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the Premier League less interesting than the Championship?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Firstly, that thread title isn't click-baity nonsense, but I have the perception that a lot less pre-match chatter has been happening ahead of games this season than last.

We're playing Manchester United at Old Trafford tomorrow for the first time in the league since 1983, yet there seems relatively little to say about it.

Or is my perception wrong?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Championship is a much better league on the face of it. Anyone can beat anyone and the prize at the end is huge. I’m loving this season, but the Championship is the best football league in the world for me. Massive statement but my opinion for sure.

I do love taking notice of every prem game though, so it’s still very exciting overall!

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Championship and its second tier forms before it has always been disappointing. Competence without flair. Defences on top almost all the time.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It will always be less interesting than the Championship, which is a very open league where parachute money does not necessarily equal success.

Looking at the table pre-season, you could honestly say about 10 teams had a decent chance of going up. Four months later teams like Shef Utd, Cardiff and Bristol City are performing well above expectations, Sunderland rooted to the bottom (some might say this was predictable), Reading, Brum and Hull in an early relegation scrap and Forest just outside the playoffs. Meanwhile teams you might have expected to do well such as Norwich, Massive and even more massive Leeds are all sitting midtable.

The PL is 6 and then 14 which makes it less interesting by nature. Our ambition has to be to get as close to that 6 as possible, exceeding that is a pipe dream. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love being here and want us to stay, but that's mainly down to enjoying the prestige of being amongst the elite clubs in the country. You could perhaps say that's a bit of a falsehood considering sides like Sunderland have been anything but elite over the last few years of hanging on, but I'm loving having the quality of some of the players in our side these days. Who could honestly have predicted we'd have such a class act as Propper lining up for us after all these years?

Going to Old trafford is no different for me than the McAlpine, other than being a lot slower to get away afterwards. But I'm undoubtedly in a minority, there's probably not much discussion going on because it's going to be less about the football (most are expecting a routine home win) and more about the occasion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Firstly, that thread title isn't click-baity nonsense
That's not for you to say.

Is the Premier League less interesting than the Championship?
Yes.

We're playing Manchester United at Old Trafford tomorrow for the first time in the league since 1983, yet there seems relatively little to say about it.
We're going to lose, can't say I'm interested in the game, focused on Tuesday.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Championship is a much better league on the face of it. Anyone can beat anyone and the prize at the end is huge. I’m loving this season, but the Championship is the best football league in the world for me. Massive statement but my opinion for sure.

Agree with this , I always felt the Championship never gets the exposure it deserves . This season I’ve noticed it like never before . Barely on the radar .

Take Hemeds “stamp”. It was still being discussed on Sky Sports a week later and on social media , had it been the season before no one would bat an eyelid .

Oddly though this seasons games feel more important, like every single point means a bit more , maybe it’s the longer gap between games.

For reasons I won’t go into I couldn’t make the Stoke game so had to watch on TV . Had a headache by the end of it and sure my blood pressure had gone through the roof .

I am enjoying it but it certainly feels different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It is an interesting point as I am going to the game tomorrow with no expectation what so ever, a chance to see a famous old ground and have a nice day out. In the championship you go to every away game with the anticipation of winning.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Going to Old trafford is no different for me than the McAlpine, other than being a lot slower to get away afterwards. But I'm undoubtedly in a minority, there's probably not much discussion going on because it's going to be less about the football (most are expecting a routine home win) and more about the occasion.

Agree with this, given for many it will be their 8th visit to Old Trafford to see Brighton play.

To me its not an occasion at all, its another league game albeit one against a team with title ambitions.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Championship is quite simply more interesting than PL, not only because it's more even such that surprise or unpredictable results are so regular they're not regarded as shocks or exceptions, but those extra eight games really add something extra to the unpredictability but also the interest of this league.
PL is two leagues. So when the top six play each other, they're always interesting affairs, ditto with the bottom 14. Paul Wilson wrote a good article about related issues earlier in the week, see:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ial-sackings-premier-league-everton-west-brom

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We're going to lose, can't say I'm interested in the game, focused on Tuesday.

We're playing a League game at Old Trafford, and you're not interested ?

I dunno what the point of getting promoted is if you can't look forward to occasions like this.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree with this , I always felt the Championship never gets the exposure it deserves . This season I’ve noticed it like never before . Barely on the radar .

Take Hemeds “stamp”. It was still being discussed on Sky Sports a week later and on social media , had it been the season before no one would bat an eyelid .

Oddly though this seasons games feel more important, like every single point means a bit more , maybe it’s the longer gap between games.

For reasons I won’t go into I couldn’t make the Stoke game so had to watch on TV . Had a headache by the end of it and sure my blood pressure had gone through the roof .

I am enjoying it but it certainly feels different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I’m chuffed with our fans seeming to realise just how massive every single point is in this league. The post match WBrom & Toon game celebrations were fantastic - many more stayed behind to clap our hero’s off too :clap2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is an interesting point as I am going to the game tomorrow with no expectation what so ever, a chance to see a famous old ground and have a nice day out. In the championship you go to every away game with the anticipation of winning.

100% this, plus the outside chance that one of the 'big' away games will see us cause a massive upset that we'll talk about for years.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I prefer the premier league in terms of money im saving a fortune-admission and travel-(fewer games). however cant help feeling the real action is going on below us

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes...I think the getting there was far more than actually being here...we even get less games FFS. I think it is more satisfying when we actually win, although only seeing games at home, we have only had a couple, but this has always been the argument with yo yo clubs, " is it better to be top of the championship or bottom of the Premier?"

I can't see us in my lifetime winning the Prem, therefore the best I would hope for is a FA Cup win ( which managers don't seem to rate anymore and send out reserves - so that is devalued) or a possible Europa Cup place, and the same applies.

Would the fans be happy of remaining a middle of the premier team, not winning anything but staying in the Prem every year..like Stoke for example?

If survival is the be and end all of Premier football, what is it all for?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The standard in the Premier League is substantially better, but the league as a whole is less interesting for me personally because we're only really ever going to be fighting for 7th place.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Firstly, that thread title isn't click-baity nonsense, but I have the perception that a lot less pre-match chatter has been happening ahead of games this season than last.

Or is my perception wrong?

I think your right Bozza.

Maybe the fun is all in the journey and not the destination

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have felt it is less interesting this year but haven't commented on it because it might just be because we have played relatively few matches and I miss the Tuesday nights. For the next couple of months we have a couple of games a week so it might be more fun. In fact in the first 4 months of the season we have played 6 fewer matches than champ but in the next 6 months we only play 2 fewer.

I just hope we actually try in the cup because I don't want to become Stoke.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe "interesting" is not quite the right word. But, collectively, we seem to have fewer talking points, match by match, than we used to have.

Maybe that's because we've had a relatively settled squad where we've only really had known long-term injuries to deal with. I'm not sure what it is.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Man Utd have just played and lost in the Champions League and only a couple of weeks ago they were beaten by Huddersfield.

Whilst I cannot deny we're odd-on to lose I'm mindful last time we were in the top flight we went away to the then best team in the land - Brian Clough's awesome Notts Forest - and nicked a 1-0 victory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here