Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spread the wealth another idea other than Prem League 2

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Watching the Albion competing (so far) coupled with most bottom half PL teams being average and the competative level of the championship

how about 5 teams down and 5 up ?

it would "cull" the hangers on, get more teams a sniff at the pot of gold

and it could be used all the way done the pyramid including the conference

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To be honest, I think the best thing that could happen with British football is for the big six to eff off into a European super league. The PL would still attract huge crowds. the Championship attendances are testimony to how popular that league still is, player wages would be re-aligned downwards and it would be far more of a level playing field. And we, the fans, might get a few more Saturday 3pm kick offs too.

The same goes for Scotland and the Old Firm. With both of them out of the picture, Scottish football would undoubtedly improve.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
To be honest, I think the best thing that could happen with British football is for the big six to eff off into a European super league. The PL would still attract huge crowds. the Championship attendances are testimony to how popular that league still is, player wages would be re-aligned downwards and it would be far more of a level playing field. And we, the fans, might get a few more Saturday 3pm kick offs too.

The same goes for Scotland and the Old Firm. With both of them out of the picture, Scottish football would undoubtedly improve.

I'd like to agree but I'd be concerned that as a big chunk of TV money comes from overseas rights all of that would disappear and go to the European Super League.

Furthermore a big chunk of Sky (and others) budget would be diverted and therefore the revenues for PL broadcasting could reduce dramatically, certainly the number of televised games would reduce which is a positive for supporters if not the clubs.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Whatever next, you'll be suggesting we allow Welsh teams in .... oh wait!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'd like to agree but I'd be concerned that as a big chunk of TV money comes from overseas rights all of that would disappear and go to the European Super League.

Furthermore a big chunk of Sky (and others) budget would be diverted and therefore the revenues for PL broadcasting could reduce dramatically, certainly the number of televised games would reduce which is a positive for supporters if not the clubs.

I've no doubt there would be a lot less money in the PL but that's my point, it would reduce the huge discrepancy between PL and Championship cash making the leagues and the teams more balanced. The Championship is proof that life away from the big six is still exciting and still a huge draw for fans.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Whatever next, you'll be suggesting we allow Welsh teams in .... oh wait!

Apologies if I've given the impression that I want Scottish sides in our league. No bloody way! I'm just suggesting that Rangers and Celtic become the whipping boys of the European League and their departure would be good news for Scottish football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Leicester City winning the Prem showed that it IS still possible for teams outside the Big 6 to finish Champions, while the increased TV deal has given middle-ranking clubs the purchasing power to outbid and outpay top European clubs.

But there is this growing sense of inevitability about the Prem lifecycle that is ultimately destructive unless carefully managed.

Would relegating 5 improve the situation? If 5 had gone down at the end of 16/17 we'd have lost Burnley and Watford - two sides currently in the top half of the table that have caused the big boys problems and made the league more interesting. I don't see how the addition of Reading and Sheffield Wednesday would have made this league better, indeed you're likely to get an undercooked side getting promoted, becoming the Prem whipping boys and devaluing the whole Prem brand.

Take Sunderland. Perennial relegation strugglers, they finally succumb to the drop but the constant battling has left the club drained of the energy needed to compete at Championship level. They've won nothing since 1973 but when they do make it to Wembley under Gus in the League Cup Final it is nothing more than a day out, a trifle compared with Prem survival. There is no room for romance as the next "must-win" Prem league game is always only days away.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've no doubt there would be a lot less money in the PL but that's my point, it would reduce the huge discrepancy between PL and Championship cash making the leagues and the teams more balanced. The Championship is proof that life away from the big six is still exciting and still a huge draw for fans.

I think the money would be 'peanuts' by comparison. A lot of owners pump money into these clubs either to retain their status or get promoted to the 'promised land'

There's an awful lot of infrastructure to support and without the potential for some upside I would see much of this investment being withdrawn.

I very much agree with the thinking but in practical terms I don't see how it would work

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Can also add Ligue one as another example. It'll be a lot more unpredictable with PSG out of the picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here