Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It turns out palace aren't that shite...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...when compared to Benevento.

Serie A's bottom club have played 13 and are yet to register a single point, having only scored 6 to offset the 33 goals conceded.

They'd even be 3 points above Koln in the Bundesliga, who also are yet to get a win.

Ligue 1's Metz would be trailing in palace's wake, as they have only amassed 4 points.
Although they are now manager by former NSC darling Frédéric Hantz, so we can expect that to change.

In Spain's Primera Division, they'd still be bottom but with 2 teams (one being Andone's Deportivo) on 6 and one on 7, hardly marooned.

Serie A's bottom club have played 13 and are yet to register a single point, having only scored 6 to offset the 33 goals conceded.

They'd even be 3 points above Koln in the Bundesliga, who also are yet to get a win.

Ligue 1's Metz would be trailing in palace's wake, as they have only amassed 4 points.
Although they are now manager by former NSC darling Frédéric Hantz, so we can expect that to change.

In Spain's Primera Division, they'd still be bottom but with 2 teams (one being Andone's Deportivo) on 6 and one on 7, hardly marooned.

Gives them an option for a preseason game i suppose:whistle:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I am distinctly nervous about the Palace game and, even though they are bottom, it's not a done deal that we will win.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am distinctly nervous about the Palace game and, even though they are bottom, it's not a done deal that we will win.

It came across my mind not to even bother going as I know how gutting it will be, hanging around for an hour or so afterwards, should we lose and would bring back bad memories. Then I came to my senses but it is going to be a nerve shredding evening. This is the game I want us to win the most this season.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, I too share your worry, or perhaps concern would be a more accurate description, though I am NOT saying that I think we will lose necessarily. If we are honest, I suspect that most on here thought that Albion would beat Stoke, albeit not comfortably, and yet we could so easily have lost the game, the penalty decision and that ref aside. Most of the games have been quite close, and whilst we have shown that we are not worse than the teams "in our league", we are not necessarily better. Don't get me wrong -I consider that the club is too well run for us to go down, but each match is going to be a slog. I hate to say it, but Palace do have some good players, and much as I have chuckled at their position, I am slightly surprised at their poor showing. Long may it last!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

It's got "shock away win" written all over it, particularly given the "baggage".

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Solution is to back Palarse to win at around 4/1.

Putting a £20 note on and getting back a one'er would be a crumb of comfort but beat the scum and it's happy days.

So that's the draw then. :censored:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If we are honest, I suspect that most on here thought that Albion would beat Stoke

I'm confident that you are quite wrong on that. Most would have HOPED for a win, for sure, but EXPECTED a win? Against a side that have finished in the top half of the PL most recent seasons, and despite their middling start to the season are packed full of decent players with plenty of PL / International / Champions league experience?

I'm genuinely not sure that there is a single game on the entire fixture list that personally I EXPECT to win.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I was reminiscing with a colleague about the last Palace game I went to and it was the 5-0 defeat at their place where they kept us in after the match and played all the goals on the screens on repeat. I then googled it and saw it was 2002! I thought it was only a couple of years ago. 15 years, 15. Christ. When did I get old............

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I kind of expected this to be a discussion about the absolute dross being dished up around Europe, c'est la vie.

Sure every other league has more than a touch of 'Celtic' about them, but at least the Premier League does at least seem to be competitive.
This coming from a poster who has made more than his fair share of 'Greatest League in the World' :rolleyes: post.

I was reminiscing with a colleague about the last Palace game I went to and it was the 5-0 defeat at their place where they kept us in after the match and played all the goals on the screens on repeat. I then googled it and saw it was 2002! I thought it was only a couple of years ago. 15 years, 15. Christ. When did I get old............

Took my two boys to that one 6 and 8 it did them no harm:mad::drool:

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Benevento have just got into Serie A this season, the English equivalent would be someone like Fleetwood or Yeovil getting to the Prem.

Palace are an 'established' top tier side.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
Wilfy Haha will be absolutely motivated by our match, and with Benteke back to full fitness and the speedy Townsend on the other flank, Bruno and Bong will not be able to keep up with them. Dunk and Duffy might keep Benteke in check, but several of their shots will make its way past Ryan and into the goal. :down:

I know, it's a pathetic attempt to a reverse fate-tempt :down:

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013
Think tomorrow’s game against Stoke will have an impact on our performance on Tuesday night. Another defeat and allowing another 3points get away from us could really knock the players confidence, as well as cutting us further adrift. Even more frustratingly we’ve been playing well and not getting the result. Win and our tails will really be up.

SAC

May 21, 2014

I have Italian friends and have been watching Benevento scores with interest. Earlier this month they were beating Juve away only to lose 2-1 and were 1-1 last Sunday only to concede in the 94th minute.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm confident that you are quite wrong on that. Most would have HOPED for a win, for sure, but EXPECTED a win? Against a side that have finished in the top half of the PL most recent seasons, and despite their middling start to the season are packed full of decent players with plenty of PL / International / Champions league experience?

I'm genuinely not sure that there is a single game on the entire fixture list that personally I EXPECT to win.

I think we might simply be playing with words here. Of course you are right about Stoke, and the Southampton game was similar -they are also packed with international players as you point out. I did actually say "I thought we would" given that the team has exceeded all expectations, and that Stoke had not begun the season as well, as they should have done, given the talent at their disposal. Your use of the word "expect" adds a rather too confident tone, which I certainly did not mean, though I can see why you assume this. I did say that I feel each match will be a slog, and in that we are surely in complete agreement.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Think tomorrow’s game against Stoke will have an impact on our performance on Tuesday night. Another defeat and allowing another 3points get away from us could really knock the players confidence, as well as cutting us further adrift. Even more frustratingly we’ve been playing well and not getting the result. Win and our tails will really be up.

I think you will win and we will lose tomorrow - and I honestly can't call Tuesday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here