Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poyet on Poogate

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He did a great job in League One, then brought us some quality players, and left at the right time.

He outgrew the Albion ... he wanted to look at massive clubs such as Reading and Sunderland.

He was much better at managing than being a clairvoyant

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He did a great job in League One, then brought us some quality players, and left at the right time.

He outgrew the Albion ... he wanted to look at massive clubs such as Reading and Sunderland.

Did well in the Championship as well, gave us St Patrick's Day massacre, plus lots of entertaining football IMO. He just had a massively inflated opinion of himself and there are plenty of managers like that......

Brighton were a great fit for him, but he just couldn't control his mouth.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I went off him very quickly when he visited Seagulls Over London.

Very dismissive of Glenn Murray and the FA cup I seem to recall.

Extremely vain individual.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Still peddling the “sacked live on air” bollocks though

Does any Albion fan actually believe this?

Clearly bullhitting.

Whats even more embarrassing is how no one outside of the albion even gave a toss about his silly little on-air lie. I think Poyet forgot we were just a Championship team back then.

Even so we were the only club who saw any success out of him, that still came at the expense of losing Murray for nothing and watching Vicente benched game after game, all in aid of Poyet's malignant ego which TB, very patiently, had to try and work alongside. Poyet will never get anywhere in management. Let's face it, his footballing style is too boring and slow. His tactics would work if you were outclassing the opposition, but it would never get you back from a losing position (as we saw in the Championship). IMO he got very lucky walking into a league One team already consisting of Murray, Dicker, El-abd, Bennett, Forster, Elphick and Gary Hart.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Did well in the Championship as well, gave us St Patrick's Day massacre, plus lots of entertaining football IMO. He just had a massively inflated opinion of himself and there are plenty of managers like that......

There was also a lot of thorough dirge. We forget that as we tend to forget the overwhelming amount of boredom in our formative school years, preferring to just remembering the good days.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There was also a lot of thorough dirge. We forget that as we tend to forget the overwhelming amount of boredom in our formative school years, preferring to just remembering the good days.

I was bored senseless in many of our 2011/12 and 2012/13 home games, passing around the back, whilst other teams got the cigars out. I’d guess that our home league win percentages and GS across 46 games in 2015/16 and 2016/17 were superior.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Of course there was, but not as much as I have seen since he left. Every manager/team have bad games, and in Poyet's case it is difficult to forget games like the Christmas period vs Charlton at home when Calderon was sent-off, Millwall home for example or Barnsley (when McCourt scored). But you cannot forget the Blackpool demoliton, Peterboro and Charlton away, Plymouth home after Noone had joined and quite a few more.

But since then, we have rarely replicated the one-touch swift passing we saw IMO, even in our promotion years (still entertaining but in a different way). Garcia bored me senseless, Hyypia....... well words fail me, dreadful.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I went off him very quickly when he visited Seagulls Over London.

Very dismissive of Glenn Murray and the FA cup I seem to recall.

Extremely vain individual.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I will dispute your memory of his dismissiveness of the FA cup. He said there should only be one cup competition in a season, which is the FA cup. He was very dismissive of the League cup.
We went to Villa and Liverpool in two of his seasons, in FA cup rounds.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I will dispute your memory of his dismissiveness of the FA cup. He said there should only be one cup competition in a season, which is the FA cup. He was very dismissive of the League cup.
We went to Villa and Liverpool in two of his seasons, in FA cup rounds.

I can't dispute my own memory of being a room above a pub sitting across the table from him. What he said in public and "private" (not now) are obviously hugely different :)

He was dismissive of fans who liked the FA Cup and didn't understand it. It was around the time we played FC United,

Also said that the England managers job was the "easiest job ever". Another bizarre story about the time he "rang" wikipedia to complain about the fact it says he kissed the Spurs badge against Chelsea when he claimed he didn't.

Lastly, claimed when he was at Chelsea he and a few other players actually managed the team and not Claudio Ranieri.

Possibly all true, but not as true as my recollection of a man with an ego bigger than his abilities.

I went off him after that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here