Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
All for $100,000.
The cover up is worse than the hack itself.
You never negotiate with terrorists, so why these cretinous hackers?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
......all well and good, BUT more importantly what's your 'Star Wars' name?
It's you mother's maiden name, followed by your first pet/ school.

.......and then 'Seagulls'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Small companies that expand always make mistakes, to try and cover it up was negligence beyond belief, however, given how companies now seem to operate is not unexpected.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Reminds me of government and the document fco 30/4038. Big Business and Governments. Whatever next!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Small companies that expand always make mistakes, to try and cover it up was negligence beyond belief, however, given how companies now seem to operate is not unexpected.

Not really a small company though are they! Operating at a trading loss, presumably with the intention of driving the competition out of the market before raising prices. Now getting into bed with Volvo to develop driverless cars so they won't even have to let drivers take their cut!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not really a small company though are they! Operating at a trading loss, presumably with the intention of driving the competition out of the market before raising prices. Now getting into bed with Volvo to develop driverless cars so they won't even have to let drivers take their cut!

They were a start up once and small therefore the mentality to make mistakes, or do you think they arrived as a massive company from day 1 ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

A company built on sand that gladly uses anybody with a sat nav and a mobile phone as drivers. Who's surprised?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Aha, glad this is in the public domain now.

I'm not having a go at Uber, these things can happen, but they really ought not to have covered it up because a LOT of people have been badly impacted by this breach.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They were a start up once and small therefore the mentality to make mistakes, or do you think they arrived as a massive company from day 1 ?

Airbnb is another example of start-up models with rapid growth and minimal governance that should, in my opinion, be given a wide berth. Who checks these places out? Do they have safe boilers, functioning smoke detectors etc? Have the owners placed concealed recording devices in the property for their own dubious purposes?

Not an accommodation option that I would ever consider for my family anymore than I would get into an Uber cab.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Airbnb is another example of start-up models with rapid growth and minimal governance that should, in my opinion, be given a wide berth. Who checks these places out? Do they have safe boilers, functioning smoke detectors etc? Have the owners placed concealed recording devices in the property for their own dubious purposes?

Not an accommodation option that I would ever consider for my family anymore than I would get into an Uber cab.

I stayed in a house in Newcastle a few weeks ago that failed the inspection and standards to be a student home, so it was put on AirBNB instead and it's got to be said - it's clear why it failed. Windows didn't close properly, damp issues, a table missing a leg and the heating didn't work! The dispute process isn't quick or easy either.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

True but their not like a corner shop start up that expands. They have a business plan to accept large losses whilst they wipe out the opposition and clear the marketplace. They are backed by massive hedgefunds that are looking at the end goal and the profits that will ensue then.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Announced it before GDPR comes in, very clever...

taz

Feb 18, 2015
The amount of there customers on uber UK twitter support complaining there uber account has been hacked and there paying for eats and rides all across Russia is astonishing !!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not as impressive as Equifax, the US credit rating company. They lost the financial information of 143 million subscribers. And the directors made sure they flogged their shares before announcing the breach to the media. After all why should they lose out because they screwed up.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I appreciate your comments re Airbnb safety, but is this any different to any other private holiday rental? Surely this is a regulatory issue?

I should declare that I am pro Airbnb and Uber, but I also feel they should be better regulated. You can't halt progress, but not at any cost.

Most poeple who oppose Uber do so because of issues relating to the drivers, but the drivers are a temporary thing in Uber's eyes. As soon as technology allows they will be phased out.

Would those who currently boycot Uber, use the service in the future once the driver element has been removed by self driving cars?

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here