Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Harrys razors

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As one of our more regular advertisers has anybody tried them. I saw they were a lot cheaper but when i looked into it you had to sign a direct debit. Cant think many would do that for razors

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I use them. They're OK, but can't get too excited about it. I started because my usual razors (Gillette Sensor) are now much harder to get hold of and are consequently much more expensive than they used to be, so I thought I'd try something different. They seem to do the job OK, not much difference to the Gillette blades, probably slightly more abrasive for me, but not alarmingly so. They are cheaper though and the blades last longer (10 shaves v 5), so I'm happy for now, although I'm building up a surplus of blades. You're allowed to take a blade holiday if this happens, so when they next email me to say that I'm due another set of blades, I'll select the "Not just yet thanks" option and I won't be charged until I need the next batch. Seems fair enough to me...

I use them as well. Razors are OK but I really like the shaving gel.

No problem with the direct debit, they set it up to send you more stuff at certain dates but you can easily change the dates or what they are going to send you. I only shave once or twice a week these days so I wouldn't use as much as someone who shaves every day so I simply change the date on when my next supplies will come.

All in all I'd recommend them. They used to have a trial package, just pay the postage, not sure if they are still doing that but worth trying if they do.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I have used Harry's, Boldking, Clean shaven and cornerstone on their introductory offers. I would say Cornerstone probably produce the best shave and I quite like their shave gel and moisturiser. Clean shaven was good but blunted after about 2 shaves, Boldking were crap from the start but had the nicest aftershave balm. Harry's ok but I think I'll stick with Cornerstone.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
They've been about in the States for quite a while - no direct debit just pay as you go. Best shave I've had compared to the other big names and considerably cheaper

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I use Harry’s, very good imho, better than cornerstone although the whilst the shave is good it will never quite beat Gillette proglide but far cheaper.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Switched from Gillette to 'The Bearded Colonel' at the start of the year. Similar subscription service. Also switched from using gel or foam to an old fashioned brush and shaving soap. Very happy with the results. The blades are very good indeed and using the brush appears to have rid me of the problem of ingrowing hairs under my chin that had plagued me for years.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
I use them as well. Razors are OK but I really like the shaving gel.

No problem with the direct debit, they set it up to send you more stuff at certain dates but you can easily change the dates or what they are going to send you. I only shave once or twice a week these days so I wouldn't use as much as someone who shaves every day so I simply change the date on when my next supplies will come.

All in all I'd recommend them. They used to have a trial package, just pay the postage, not sure if they are still doing that but worth trying if they do.

what he said

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Direct debit? No chance - I'll just buy razors as and when I want, what I see as value at the time. Disposables are so cheap these days, and often very good - if you get a duff one, you can just chuck it.

el punal

As one of our more regular advertisers has anybody tried them. I saw they were a lot cheaper but when i looked into it you had to sign a direct debit. Cant think many would do that for razors

When I saw your thread title I thought you were referring to ol' Arry Redknapp and another of his expressions. I know he's 'triffic' but 'razors'? Well, I suppose he is sharp when money is in the offing eh?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Certainly there's a huge gap in the market to take custom away from the old established brands who have had it too good for too long. They sell you the blade holder rwally cheap then massively overcharge you for the blades. That's why they have extra security devices fitted in supermarkets. Harrys, despite the massive hype, isn't the answer. Who wants locking into a direct debit for a poxy razor? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Isn't this thread not a bit rude? I wouldn't start a thread about [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]'s toothbrush :shrug:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Certainly there's a huge gap in the market to take custom away from the old established brands who have had it too good for too long. They sell you the blade holder rwally cheap then massively overcharge you for the blades. That's why they have extra security devices fitted in supermarkets. Harrys, despite the massive hype, isn't the answer. Who wants locking into a direct debit for a poxy razor? ???
To be fair given the materials used I would expect it to be that way

Jul 7, 2003
Switched from Gillette to 'The Bearded Colonel' at the start of the year. Similar subscription service. Also switched from using gel or foam to an old fashioned brush and shaving soap. Very happy with the results. The blades are very good indeed and using the brush appears to have rid me of the problem of ingrowing hairs under my chin that had plagued me for years.

I tried the Bearded Colonel but found that the gaps in the blades got bunged up far too quickly. Harry's look very similar so not sure if they are the same razor under a different branding.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I tried the Bearded Colonel but found that the gaps in the blades got bunged up far too quickly. Harry's look very similar so not sure if they are the same razor under a different branding.

I found the blades clogged up quickly when I first tried to use them with shaving gel and I don't have very thick stubble so I know what you mean. I've not had that problem using a brush and shaving soap though. In fairness to the Bearded Colonel, they do say -although not until you've subscribed - that shaving gel or foam may clog their blades because of the design.

To be honest, I wouldn't go back to using gel or foam again because I've been much happier with the results the 'old fashioned' way but it's going to be one of those things where the experience is different for everyone.

Jul 7, 2003
I found the blades clogged up quickly when I first tried to use them with shaving gel and I don't have very thick stubble so I know what you mean. I've not had that problem using a brush and shaving soap though. In fairness to the Bearded Colonel, they do say -although not until you've subscribed - that shaving gel or foam may clog their blades because of the design.

To be honest, I wouldn't go back to using gel or foam again because I've been much happier with the results the 'old fashioned' way but it's going to be one of those things where the experience is different for everyone.

I was using a shaving cream (Bluebeards Revenge) and still had issues. I also used nothing but hot water and struggled but do have thick stubble.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here