Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bruno

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Having looked at highlights agree with [MENTION=29900]Exile[/MENTION]'s report of 2nd goal. What on earth was Bruno doing. No interest in jumping for ball. Several times at corners or crosses all he tries to do is block rather then try and clear. He is sometimes beyond criticism but he has cost us goals because of this. OK outside box but dodgy inside.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Having looked at highlights agree with Exiles report of 2nd goal. What on earth was Bruno doing. No interest in jumping for ball. Several times at corners or crosses all he tries to do is block rather then try and clear. He is sometimes beyond criticism but he has cost us goals because of this. OK outside box but dodgy inside.

Not watching the ball also cost us vs Everton. Pretty sure it happened in another game too. Maybe West Brom.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Not here to put the boot in to a 37 year old who's in good form but he's clearly being targeted. And when Knockaert has an off game, Bruno always seems more vulnerable. Stoke threw a lot at him yesterday. He coped admirably, but I can remember a couple of situations where he was exposed 2-on-1. A quality player, but he's relying on pace and hard work ahead of him. With a slight dip in form from Knockart and a tough fixture list, rotation might be needed.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Carragher explained neatly how Bruno can overdo a man-marking approach to defending set pieces.

Hopefully the bearded one will have a bit of a re-think and it won't cost us too many more goals. I love his all round game far too much to want to see him "rotated".

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's starting to look like he's just a bit off the pace now, he could have got to a loose ball toward the end of the game on monday but seemed happy to let the other guy have it and then defend from there. Obviously, I love Bruno as much as anyone else but he's starting to look like a dodgy link (not a weak link, we're still doing rather nicely!) and he needs to pull his shorts up and pick it up a little bit otherwise Schelotto will find himself coming into the team. Hughton will be reluctant to make the change, but eventually his time will come.

I remember watching Gary Neville against West Brom and it was clear that his legs were gone and he was just done. It's not that bad with Bruno, but the signs are there. The mind is perfectly fine, but the legs seem to be a bit behind.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I disagree with all of the comments above. Bruno is an integral part of our play going forward on the right and he made no more mistakes defensively on Monday than the rest of the defence. How many games have people seen Schelotto play to be able to claim he is a better option than Bruno ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I disagree with all of the comments above. Bruno is an integral part of our play going forward on the right and he made no more mistakes defensively on Monday than the rest of the defence. How many games have people seen Schelotto play to be able to claim he is a better option than Bruno ?

agree, some of interceptions that Bruno made were brilliant, read the ball and got there. Yes he makes mistakes but same approach has saved situation and got us the goal against Newcastle...Don't think Schelotto has played in a defensive role for us so difficult to comment. I think March should play instead of AK and let him see what he can do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There's long been a small group of people who seem to sit around waiting for any sign of weakness in Bruno's game in order that they can pipe up that his time has come.

It's been going on for a few years now, and it's as wrong today as it ever was.

Of course he hasn't got out-and-out raw pace but his footballing brain is so good and his technique so exemplary that he has been able to step up to Premier League level better than anyone could have forecast.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He is getting worse when we defend set pieces. This is not a criticism of him in open play just amazes me how a ref doesn’t blow for a pen every time the ball comes in and Bruno starts pulling and pushing is beyond me. I know others do it in other sides but you have to have some interest in trying to win the header as well - or at least jump with your opponent.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There's long been a small group of people who seem to sit around waiting for any sign of weakness in Bruno's game in order that they can pipe up that his time has come.

Of course he hasn't got out-and-out raw pace but his footballing brain is so good and his technique so exemplary that he has been able to step up to Premier League level better than anyone could have forecast.

Is this true? I thought we all loved Bruno. I think his time is close at hand, but will always love him

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
For me (Jeff), the errors Bruno is making at the moment tend to be tactical, coaching based errors such as his set piece defending on Monday. I think he is being highlighted as a weakness in certain situations (such as Monday where he was often overloaded in 3v2 situations with Knockaert), but I'd say in open play he's generally been very good still. I do think Hughton just needs a quick word in his ear about defending certain, specific situations, and I'd expect to see an improvement in the few weaknesses he's showing.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

As I said beyond criticism. Attacking, Positional play and on deck as good as ever. He was at fault for 2nd goal and that is not first time. At set plays he doesnt try and clear but just blocks. I Have no idea if Schelotto is better but plenty of options including Rossenior and lad on loan at Newport. Always option of putting him at near post for set plays. I am in the West and have never heard a whisper of criticism of Bruno.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Absolutely for sure Bruno is doing whatever CH has asked him to. Totally reasonable that in the area he is being asked to block players rather than trying to out jump them. Ok, it doesn't always work but that doesn't make it wrong.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Like all good players your legs catch up with you, and with AK not on form this just makes it worse. Time to rest my friend.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

All of this.

I think arguably, along with Dunk and Duffy, from a consistency perspective he has looked the most comfortable.

Stephens until recently has been very in and out, Knockaert has yet to dominate a game like we know he can.

That said time will catch him up and I think he would go out at the top rather than lose his place.

But technically, what, a, player!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here