Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Advice/suggestion for anyone driving to Manchester on Saturday

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
If you’re driving to the match, you may want to consider driving to Altrincham - there’s a car park by the station and getting the tram there. It takes about 15 minutes to get to Old Trafford - you’d spend a lot longer on the A56 going through Altrincham, Sale and Stratford to get there.

If you stop at Altrincham, there are lots of places to go for a pre match drink - I’d recommend the Cheshire Tap, the Belgium Bar or Pi - all sell great beer. There are loads of good places around the market.The market has a great food hall, but This does get very busy. I’m happy to give any further advice.

I’m just really sorry to miss this match as it’s my closest ground

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That sounds like handy advice - thanks :)

What is it like getting the tram back?

This shot was taken following last week's 4-1 United victory over Newcastle. You might want to walk.

9a1dccd3879a0e8984deb859b00643dc.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was planning on parking in Sale or Hulme (or elsewhere) and walking. Is this not a good idea?

This shot was taken following last week's 4-1 United victory over Newcastle. You might want to walk.

Yep don't really want to end up in Woolwich :-o

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Set off VERY early Saturday morning if you want to be certain about getting there, the M6 is worse than the M25 these days. The only exception being the Toll part of it.

Still got relatives in Northwich and I often get off at the Stoke North turning and then take minor roads.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Set off VERY early Saturday morning if you want to be certain about getting there, the M6 is worse than the M25 these days. The only exception being the Toll part of it.

Still got relatives in Northwich and I often get off at the Stoke North turning and then take minor roads.

Estimated journey time from Sullington?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Wise words indeed

I went up a few months ago and that stretch of bloody 40mph or something for like 30 miles it seemed through Cheshire and ends just before you go over the Manchester ship canal at Warrington/Irlam turn off was painful.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Is there any good parking and then get a cab advice? Or, good parking to head back South and walk to the ground?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Estimated journey time from Sullington?

How long is a piece of string?

I have done it in one hit in 4 hours (this is as far as Cheshire, remember you still have another 25 miles to Manchester),

Sadly I have also had 8 hour plus journeys...:eek:

Go early enough (no later than 7AM) on Saturday & you should be OK. I would personally take the previous day off & go up but appreciate that for work reasons not many will be able to do this.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That’s your choice, if you want to sample Manchester night life go for it, if not and you have young uns, then nah there ain’t much in that part of town.

Thanks, may head some of the way Friday, rather than there and back Saturday, maybe go more peak district and across in the morning

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Thanks, may head some of the way Friday, rather than there and back Saturday, maybe go more peak district and across in the morning

Another option worth considering is to drive into Manchester City centre, leave the car in an NCP and get the tram to Old Trafford. If you park near Piccadilly Station you can get the tram from there. About 20 minutes. Will take you a bit longer on the way out but not terrible and it's easy to get out of Manchester down Princess Parkway onto the M56 afterwards.

Traffic coming out of Old Trafford is a nightmare so avoid leaving at a car park near the ground!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
Seem to remember that in the website posting from the club that mentioned the bag searches, they also said that there are a lot of roadworks around the ground and the approaches people might want to check.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
You could also do something like the attached. Great bars around here (The Marble etc). Late lunch at Barbakan or Baths Supper Bar in Chorlton then the walk as attached. Screenshot_20171121-221322.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here