Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Judee Sill's deep, goosebumply aphorism - relevance to us?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Judee Sill, 1944-79, highly troubled American singer-songwriter without a huge recorded output.

Emotional/mental issues, religious mania, massively drugs (from which she died.)

But two of her songs were - are, say I, utterly glorious pieces - "Enchanted Sky Machines" and moreso "Jesus was a Cross-Maker"

Not sure I know of two more fragile and lovely songs, however bonkers they may be.

Anyhoo, the reason for posting, is that in a live [and electrifying] performance of the latter song she movingly prefaces the song with a sad personal tale of emotional disappointment in which she talks of "this principle: the lower down you go to gain your momentum from, the higher up it will propel you".

It occurs to me that our wonderful club, team and individuals find momentum from this principal, like the further you are pushed down the higher you will rise up, maybe our unbelievable progress in these 20 years owes something the the shared psychological belief/realisation of this principle, and the joy and pride in seeing it through?

Please tell me if I'm talking bollocks, loose-tongued by Sunday claret etc

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
She also said that is was writing this song or suicide.

There are however far too many that go down lower and lower and never get to write a song. Fortunately the club had the strength to start the slow recovery which has gained forward momentum over the years.

Not sure the progress is tied into the principle. It is more to do with friends rallying round and not giving up on something that was close to death.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here