Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT I thought I was a twin until last night

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Technically I am not my dad said last night. Went for a curry last night for mine and my brothers 40th. Now me and bro were born on the same day to the same mom. Its extremely rare like millions to one it seems but on a technicality I am 3 weeks older than him but he was born first so my mom got pregnant twice in 3 weeks which obviously shouldnt happen buts its possible so in theory we had different due dates. It seems extremely rare

Even rarer on research I found a woman who had 'twins' and up on DNA tests a different dad each!! And another one who had 'twins' and one was born black and the other white. Try explaining that one!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now me and bro were born on the same day to the same mom. Its extremely rare like millions to one it seems but on a technicality I am 3 weeks older than him
Er, on a technicality, no you're not.

but he was born first so my mom got pregnant twice in 3 weeks which obviously shouldnt happen buts its possible so in theory we had different due dates.
Interesting - how do they know the second egg was released after the first?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Technically I am not my dad said last night. Went for a curry last night for mine and my brothers 40th. Now me and bro were born on the same day to the same mom. Its extremely rare like millions to one it seems but on a technicality I am 3 weeks older than him but he was born first so my mom got pregnant twice in 3 weeks which obviously shouldnt happen buts its possible so in theory we had different due dates. It seems extremely rare

Even rarer on research I found a woman who had 'twins' and up on DNA tests a different dad each!! And another one who had 'twins' and one was born black and the other white. Try explaining that one!!!

Another Albion fan :clap:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
well technically I guess it debatable was good to tell him I am older than him anyway:thumbsup:

Interesting - how do they know the second egg was released after the first?

Because even then they could monitor the monitor the development of the foetuses and the expected weight, bit of a difference between a 3 week premature baby and one on an expect due date. And my dad said so. Oh and he got born with a black eye so I was clearly the older one and gave him a slap

Last edited:

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Barber out!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
well technically I guess it debatable
No.
was good to tell him I am older than him anyway:thumbsup:
You go for it :)

Because even then they could monitor the monitor the development of the foetuses and the expected weight
Wow, impressive.
bit of a difference between a 3 week premature baby and one on an expect due date.
Not much, and not enough to be sure the eggs were released at a different time I doubt. Early scans, fair enough, but I doubt they could be sure by the time of birth.

And you say you're not a twin. What is the definition of twin? Is it born from one or more eggs that were released at the same time? I don't think so. Presumably it's simply being born at the same time, in which case you're still a twin.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Of course it's debatable. In science different definitions are used depending on what you are trying to understand and the questions you are trying to answer. There are different definitions of age. You are talking about a definition of chronological age (age since birth). That is not the only way age is viewed in science. Obviously, it's indisputable that people conceived at different times vary in terms of the age of their cells. Gestational age (age between conception and birth) and chronological age can be added together to give you a different calculation of age. There are many different definitions and it entirely depends on the situation as to what definition is preferred.

Presumably it's simply being born at the same time, in which case you're still a twin.

Not necessarily. In medicine it might be preferred to refer to twins as being part of the same pregnancy, since twins don't have to be born together. This would still make him a twin (again, depending on the definition - but I would class him as a twin).

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No.

Wow, impressive.
Not much, and not enough to be sure the eggs were released at a different time I doubt. Early scans, fair enough, but I doubt they could be sure by the time of birth.

And you say you're not a twin. What is the definition of twin? Is it born from one or more eggs that were released at the same time? I don't think so. Presumably it's simply being born at the same time, in which case you're still a twin.

well I still class myself as a twin but from what I have read technically I am not. And no its not one or more eggs being released at the same time where one egg can split and make identical twins or 2 eggs or more are released and fermented by different sperms. Our situation is that as an anomaly we were both conceived in different menstrual cycles which should not normally be able to happen. Seems to be called superfetation

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No.

Wow, impressive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-484562/Born-day-mother--theyre-NOT-twins.html
Yeah I know its the mail

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
And no its not one or more eggs being released at the same time where one egg can split and make identical twins or 2 eggs or more are released and fermented by different sperms. Our situation is that as an anomaly we were both conceived in different menstrual cycles which should not normally be able to happen. Seems to be called superfetation

:needpics:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
No.

Wow, impressive.

There are varying types of twins. One type is a single cell splitting which results in identical twins, or mirror twins. Then there are twins where there are a couple of eggs fertilised such as boy/girl twins, although a friend of mine has twin girls who aren't a bit alike, but were similar weights at birth.

You can also have a scenario like maffew's where the eggs are released at separate times, and there is a difference between the three weeks of gestation. Premature babies can have downy hair and wax on them whereas a full term baby won't.
The name for that is Superfecundation: Conception of multiples as a result of two acts of sexual intercourse in the same menstrual cycle.

http://www.twinsuk.co.uk/twinstips/...e-births/multiple-births-medical-definitions/

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IMG_2817.JPG

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
There are varying types of twins. One type is a single cell splitting which results in identical twins, or mirror twins. Then there are twins where there are a couple of eggs fertilised such as boy/girl twins, although a friend of mine has twin girls who aren't a bit alike, but where similar weights at birth.

You can also have a scenario like maffew's where the eggs are released at separate times, and there is a difference between the three weeks of gestation. Premature babies can have downy hair and wax on them whereas a full term baby won't.
The name for that is Superfecundation: Conception of multiples as a result of two acts of sexual intercourse in the same menstrual cycle.

http://www.twinsuk.co.uk/twinstips/...e-births/multiple-births-medical-definitions/

Thanks TB have found the whole thing fascinating though due to 3 weeks it looks like a different menstrual cycle which is nigh on impossible

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
There are varying types of twins. One type is a single cell splitting which results in identical twins, or mirror twins. Then there are twins where there are a couple of eggs fertilised such as boy/girl twins, although a friend of mine has twin girls who aren't a bit alike, but were similar weights at birth.

Superfecundation: Conception of multiples as a result of two acts of sexual intercourse in the same menstrual cycle.

Superfetation: Conception of multiples as a result of two acts of sexual intercourse in different menstrual cycles.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here