Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Belfast - any tips?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Going to finally be spending a few days in Belfast next week, probably should have made the effort before really.

Anything really worth doing? Might not have time for Giant's Causeway trip though will try, so city centre-ish more realistic.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
You'll have good stretch walking around Belfast for a few days. Check out trip adviser for all the tourist stuff. Next time you visit Ireland, rent car and spend week or so driving in and around the coastline of Ireland. :thumbsup:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
The Crown Pub. Legendary liquor palace with a fascinating contemporary history. Might even be owned by the national trust if memory serves me. Drink with the locals anywhere in the city and you'll get a glimpse into a corner of the UK with a lot to give.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Belfast The Troubles tour by cab, HMS Caroline, Giants Causeway bus trip with 3 hour guided cliff walk (so glad we did this with the walk to the Causeway rather than just bus there). Drinking lots of Irish whiskey. Titantic museum was ok but a little bit overrated imo. Great city break, lovely people, shocking amount of vulnerable young homeless people sleeping rough.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Its a great city, been quite a few times. Agree about the cab ride, well worth it. Also the bar at the Merchant Hotel is amazing - its a great hotel as well. Duke of York is the best pub. Enjoy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Titanic Experience at the Harland & Wolfe docks is a great afternoon, they have done such a good job of it.
Get on a guided tour bus, it's a great way to learn the city's history in about an hour and a half.
many good pubs and restaurants you'll find just walking about.
Causeway is good but I've not been there since I was a kid, i assume it's pretty much the same.
If you can take a trip up to the Mountains of Mourne. They have a brilliant visitors centre and tours through the stunning landscape.
Belfast Cathedral is a stunning building, if that's your bag.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Crown Pub. Legendary liquor palace with a fascinating contemporary history. Might even be owned by the national trust if memory serves me. Drink with the locals anywhere in the city and you'll get a glimpse into a corner of the UK with a lot to give.

Mrs. Cowfold and I spent a long weekend in Belfast back in June. We too visited the Crown, which is indeed owned by the National Trust, but were somewhat underwhelmed by the experience. We found the staff surly and rude, and drinks/food very expensive. An opinion shared by our Irish friends who we went out there to see.

Having said that, we found Belfast to be a facinating city, not nearly as big as l had assumed, (the population isn't that much bigger than Brighton's), and most of it is accesible on foot. City tours are a good idea too on a frequent open top double decker bus, and we visited the Titanic Experience, we saw the Peace Wall, Stormont Castle, and the Botanic Gardens. We also found the time for a trip up to the Giant's Causeway, which was really beautiful, but did take up most the day.

Just a few days there gave us a real taste of Northern Ireland, and left us wanting to see more. We will be back.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Loved it!

Another recommendation for the cab tour, we had a brilliant driver.

Giant Causeway definitely worth it if you can make the time.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Do the Troubles tour - you'll never forget it. And Titanic of course. But most of all
try a few/dozen boozers - the people there are just simply the friendliest, warmest and most
hospitable I've ever met.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I would recommend a Black Cab tour which takes in the murals, Bombay St etc. I did it some years back and was worried about whether it was in dubious taste but our driver was incredibly knowledgable and very even handed presenting each position objectively. The Crown is touristy but a must-see. Try the The Mourne Seafood Bar as well. I work in a library so I am biased but the Linen Hall Library in the city centre is worth seeing; reputedly the safest place in Belfast in the Troubles as it has a unique collection of material relating to each tradition and neither side wanted to see that damaged. It's a great city; enjoy.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great stuff, thanks all. Sounds like bars in cobbled streets, a city tour, and anything else there is time for in that order...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here