Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Matt Prior in the Argus

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Very interesting piece in the Argus with Matt Prior echoing what a lot of supporters and members have been saying for a while.

I think it is a terrible waste that we've got men of the calibre and experience of Prior and Chris Adams clearly desperate to be involved and we haven't utilised them. I'm assuming Andrew has got no intention of calling them either judging by his previous comments that we've got to stop harking back to the past. Personally I think we could do a lot worse than getting them both back.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/cri...world_and_I_ve_got_something_to_offer_Sussex/

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I worry about Adams. His supporters seem to think he was a victim of circumstance at Surrey but there has to be serious questions about the culture there under his watch. Not just Maynard, there was something not right and for whatever reason Adams either turned a blind eye to it or was unaware of what was going on. Neither option paints him in a particularly favorable light.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
going public with this sort of thing is perhaps not the greatest idea if he wants a job.
Quite, not the best approach and perhaps evidence enough that he might be unsuited to the available roles at Sussex.

He talks about some sort of "Full Time Professional Cricket Mentor" role to sit above the Head Coach and below the Chief Executive. Exactly how much money does he think Sussex has to pay for these sort of luxury positions?

It is not very helpful to hark back to a golden age when Sussex could simply go and outbid every other county for the most wanted county batsman/captain (Chris Adams) and the most wanted county bowler (Mushtaq Ahmed). It is also important to understand that Prior himself was a once in a generation world class Sussex bred, not born, player. It has not been different for the past 100 years and can be mostly explained by simple demographics and geography.

A new Head Coach will be appointed from a strong, international, field of applicants. Thanks to the Academy and good work from existing club coaches - notably Jon Lewis - the new head coach will have a decent squad of homegrown and imported players to work with. But without something gamechanging (like having Spen Cama money when most counties are skint) Sussex will realistically always be up against it to win silverware.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I have a hunch he's skint and has lost a lot of money with his cycling endeavours, hence the Argus piece. Just my opinion of course!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Quite, not the best approach and perhaps evidence enough that he might be unsuited to the available roles at Sussex.

He talks about some sort of "Full Time Professional Cricket Mentor" role to sit above the Head Coach and below the Chief Executive. Exactly how much money does he think Sussex has to pay for these sort of luxury positions?

It is not very helpful to hark back to a golden age when Sussex could simply go and outbid every other county for the most wanted county batsman/captain (Chris Adams) and the most wanted county bowler (Mushtaq Ahmed). It is also important to understand that Prior himself was a once in a generation world class Sussex bred, not born, player. It has not been different for the past 100 years and can be mostly explained by simple demographics and geography.

A new Head Coach will be appointed from a strong, international, field of applicants. Thanks to the Academy and good work from existing club coaches - notably Jon Lewis - the new head coach will have a decent squad of homegrown and imported players to work with. But without something gamechanging (like having Spen Cama money when most counties are skint) Sussex will realistically always be up against it to win silverware.

I think he's talking about Keith Greenfield's role as Director of Cricket. That's how I read it anyway?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Met Prior on a putting green in B.Hill with his kids - really nice chap

Met Adams when I played against him at tennis - bit of a knob

Really? I've met Adams a couple of times and he was brilliant. Especially as one of those occasions was after I had been drinking all day at the Rosebowl during a one day game and insisted on going on all night about how great he was and how much I loved him for what he had done for Sussex. He was good fun.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It is not very helpful to hark back to a golden age when Sussex could simply go and outbid every other county for the most wanted county batsman/captain (Chris Adams) and the most wanted county bowler (Mushtaq Ahmed). I

That's not really true though. We got Adams as we offered him the captaincy and many pundits thought we were mad going for Mushy, who'd already been to a couple of counties, without setting either on fire.

I'm not sure that I'd want Adams down here, he didn't cover himself with glory at Sussex and Prior has got no experience as a coach, he may be brilliant but should surely start lower down the scale.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I worry about Adams. His supporters seem to think he was a victim of circumstance at Surrey but there has to be serious questions about the culture there under his watch. Not just Maynard, there was something not right and for whatever reason Adams either turned a blind eye to it or was unaware of what was going on. Neither option paints him in a particularly favorable light.

Never understood how Ashley Wright was sacked as Strength and Conditioning Coach at Surrey in the aftermath of that, but Adams was apparently indifferent or unaware of the culture. There was an incident one evening at Horsham involving Surrey players 10 days before Maynard died during their rain affected game against us that year. I don't get how Adams didn't know what was going on.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think he's talking about Keith Greenfield's role as Director of Cricket. That's how I read it anyway?
The largest part of Keith Greenfield's job is concerned with the wider development of cricket in Sussex. I assumed Prior was talking about some sort of new role in which the professional side of the club would benefit from his international playing experience...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That's not really true though. We got Adams as we offered him the captaincy and many pundits thought we were mad going for Mushy, who'd already been to a couple of counties, without setting either on fire..
Fair points and I would not ever want to undervalue the brilliant work done by Peter Moores in building, coaching and motivating his team. It remains the case that we did attract Adams with a very big salary and that without Spen's money to keep him at Hove then Mushy would have moved on pretty quickly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here