Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Change Victorian style gas fire to open fire, or woodburner

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have a disconnect gas fire, pictured below. At some point I'd like to remove everything inside the mantelpiece and replace it with a woodburner, but I can't afford to do that now, and she who must be obeyed wondered if we could just remove the gas fire and use it as an open fire? The D shape iron immediately above fake coals moves back to reveal the flue. We'd obviously need the chimney swept/checked, but is that it? Stick some logs in, light them, and bob's your uncle, or is there a lot more to it?

And if we eventually change it to a woodburner, is what we have inside the mantelpiece worth anything to anyone?

Fireplace.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My daughter is in the process of installing a woodburner in their living room, and they're having someone from Building Control at the local council come over to check it all out, see what surface its being placed on etc. There could be insurance implications, I expect they'll need a certificate of some kind for it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We have a disconnect gas fire, pictured below. At some point I'd like to remove everything inside the mantelpiece and replace it with a woodburner, but I can't afford to do that now, and she who must be obeyed wondered if we could just remove the gas fire and use it as an open fire? The D shape iron immediately above fake coals moves back to reveal the flue. We'd obviously need the chimney swept/checked, but is that it? Stick some logs in, light them, and bob's your uncle, or is there a lot more to it?

And if we eventually change it to a woodburner, is what we have inside the mantelpiece worth anything to anyone?

If it's been used for a gas fire, there'll probably be/should be a fitting on the top of the chimney pot that will need to be removed (that's based on the fact that we had to have the right fitting put on the chimney pot when we converted our fire to gas). I'm not claiming to be any sort of authority on the subject though - I suggest you seek professional advice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You might get a couple of bob at the scrap metal merchants for the cast iron.
So it's worthless then.

EDIT - I see similar things on ebay, but ours doesn't look original - maybe worth a few quid to the right buyer, but I won't hold my breath.
My daughter is in the process of installing a woodburner in their living room, and they're having someone from Building Control at the local council over to check it all out, see what surface its being placed on etc. There could be insurance implications, I expect they'll need a certificate of some kind for it.
Thanks. When looking up about woodburners I saw that you need building regs unless it's installed by a HETAS approved installer, and they do it for you. I don't know about for an open fire though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it's been used for a gas fire, there'll probably be/should be a fitting on the top of the chimney pot that will need to be removed (that's based on the fact that we had to have the right fitting put on the chimney pot when we converted our fire to gas).
Good point, thanks.
I suggest you seek professional advice.
Er, that's why I'm here!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So it's worthless then.

EDIT - I see similar things on ebay, but ours doesn't look original - maybe worth a few quid to the right buyer, but I won't hold my breath.
Thanks. When looking up about woodburners I saw that you need building regs unless it's installed by a HETAS approved installer, and they do it for you. I don't know about for an open fire though.

I don't know. There is a reclaimation place at Newhaven, so it might be worth digging around to see if it is worth anything.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills