Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of our five key summer signings

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
When we took the field in our first PL match with no less than four new recruits in the starting line-up, I feared for them and for us. What about the language barrier? The pace and physicality of the Premier League? Could the team spirit, forged in the white heat of two Championship promotion challenges, endure? Three months on it’s time to hold my hands up to Winstanley and his team. Five key summer signings and not a dud amongst them. I offer below a supporting argument for each.

1 Mathew Ryan – Short of admirers after letting Dunk’s own goal seemingly pass clean through his body and parrying Mahrez’s shot into the path of Okazaki, many were concerned for him when West Brom came calling with their legendary prowess at set pieces. That spectacular save from Gareth Barry’s piledriver was the turning point for our Aussie number 1 and he has not looked back since. I’m now convinced he is an upgrade on Stockdale and long since gave up wondering if Mäenpää might be worth a try. 7½ out of 10

29 Markus Suttner – We fought long and hard for our new left-back and it’s taken a while to see why. Positionally sound but slow to turn he totally lost Mahrez for Leicester’s early goal. However, he is steady in possession and crosses beautifully when he’s feeling adventurous. It seems that so far his most significant achievement has been to bring the best out of Bong. Underused at set pieces, I remain convinced he has a Pocognoli moment in him and hope I’m there when it happens. 6 out of 10

24 Davy Pröpper – Our (then) record signing was harshly judged after a ponderous debut against the best team in Europe less than a week after signing. He seems to have improved in every game since, thanks to the faith that Chris Hughton has shown in his ability. His turn and pass for Jose’s goal against West Ham was the classiest moment I’ve seen from an Albion player this season and his passing to the same player against Southampton was sublime. One ball from the centre to the left had the sort of check and fade reminiscent of Hoddle in his prime. With his proven ability to play further forward (possibly at the top of a diamond if we are short of wide options), this guy is a snip at £10m. 8½ out of 10 (but more to come)

13 Pascal Groß – Our bargain-basement German playmaker his occupied more column inches in the national press than any other Brighton player this season. He is a fantasy league favourite for the simple reason that he delivers. He delivers crosses with either foot, he delivers excitement (often with his slo-mo but faultless Cruyff turns), he delivers assists and he delivered our first ever PL goal. He runs himself into the ground every game supporting Glenn or Tomer while maintaining the illusion that we have a five-man midfield. This man needs a song! 9 out of 10

19 José Heriberto Izquierdo Mena – Our upmarket Kaz is yet to settle in the way that the others have. Underwhelming in his first PL start at the Emirates he has not been afforded the luxury of a run of home games in which to settle. His pace, especially in support of his full-back, is sensational. The goal at West Ham will live long in the memory – however it will have been seen by every PL defender by now so let’s hope there is more to his game, including delivery from the byline with his left foot. 7 out of 10 (so far)

Well done to team Bloom, Barber and Winstanley for this quintet of excellent signings. Long may you, not I and my mates, oversee the Albion’s transfer budget. Now, about that striker!

Last edited:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Absolutely agree. Some had a slow start but are definitely showing their worth. Its also obvious that a lot of homework was done on their personalities & how they would fit into what has become such a close team.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Agreed. Every one of them has improved as each game passed. We've added some extra bits of quality to our already strong foundation and it's paying off. Long may it continue.

I think both Hemed and Murray will be able to show their ability at this level due to the quality of delivery they'll get from their team mates this season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pascal Gross: The Summer's Best Bargain? >>> https://whisp.rs/2himwqE

Nowadays, £3million can barely buy you a Championship player.

In a transfer window which saw second-tier Middlesbrough buy Ashley Fletcher from West Ham United for £6.5million after the 21-year-old failed to score in the Premier League, it wouldn’t be expected to buy a player that could thrive at Premier League level for less than half the cost.

Yet, Brighton & Hove Albion spent £3million on Pascal Groß this summer from German side Ingolstadt.

He’s already been directly involved in seven goals – scoring two and making five further assists – in 11 appearances.​

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Excellent recruitment by the club. A striker in January would be the icing on the cake.

Amazing how quickly all these guys have become "Brighton players". They slot into their respective positions perfectly and have adapted to our style. (Yeah, I know that's stating the bleeding obvious for Ryan.)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Found this earlier today:

DOq2dUFWAAAH_UI.jpg

Attachments

• DOq2dUFWAAAH_UI.jpg
    DOq2dUFWAAAH_UI.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 992

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Absolutely agree. Some had a slow start but are definitely showing their worth. Its also obvious that a lot of homework was done on their personalities & how they would fit into what has become such a close team.

Which is precisely why I cannot believe that we are really after Mitrovic!

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Excellent post, struggle to disagree with anything in there. Especially the bit about Pascal's slo-mo Cruyff turns :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What language barrier? They all spoke reasonable English anyway. Except Ryan, of course, but that’s Aussies for you ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess if you didn't assume all the summer transfers were abject failures long, long, before the end of September, high praise wouldn't be needed now.

el punal

I'm really glad that our new boys have settled in and are proving their worth. Perhaps it's time that certain people who post on this board realise that for any player joining the club there is a "bedding in" process for him to get used to other team mates, the coaching, the tactics, the new lifestyle, the new everything. But no, these certain people are quick to criticise the club, the individual players, the management. Patience is a virtue, try and embrace it before sounding off.

Stumpy Tim

Propper has got better and better as time has gone on. Having said that, he's been fortunate that there hasn't been an alternative with both Kayal and Sidwell injured. Fortunate for us in a strange way too.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
24 Davy Pröpper – Our (then) record signing was harshly judged after a ponderous debut against the best team in Europe less than a week after signing. He seems to have improved in every game since, thanks to the faith that Chris Hughton has shown in his ability. His turn and pass for Jose’s goal against West Ham was the classiest moment I’ve seen from an Albion player this season and his passing to the same player against Southampton was sublime. One ball from the centre to the left had the sort of check and fade reminiscent of Hoddle in his prime. With his proven ability to play further forward (possibly at the top of a diamond if we are short of wide options), this guy is a snip at £10m. 8½ out of 10 (but more to come)

Considering Everton paid £23.6m for Davy Klaassen, a former Dutch player of the year, who now can't even make the bench, we seemingly got a very good deal here. Can play in the deeper role as he is for us, but we've also seen he can push on if needed and get goals like he has for the Dutch.

Our persistence of buying players from Holland may have finally paid off!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Propper has got better and better as time has gone on. Having said that, he's been fortunate that there hasn't been an alternative with both Kayal and Sidwell injured. Fortunate for us in a strange way too.

There's no way the highly thought of Dutch international and former record signing wouldn't have got exactly the same amount of game time, even if Kayal and Sidwell were fully fit and raring to go.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There's no way the highly thought of Dutch international and former record signing wouldn't have got exactly the same amount of game time, even if Kayal and Sidwell were fully fit and raring to go.

Tend to agree, though surely Sidwell would have come on as sub against Bournemouth and Everton when we were visibly tiring, and sitting deeper and deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Most improved form is Ryan. I miss Stockers he could and should have done the job top bloke but Matey/Matty (?) is looking top drawer now, just wish he wouldnt have to keep flying all the time. Must take it's toll that/those trips. And Propper what a player he is looking

The ONLY thing we didnt get was an elusive striker. We are doing ok though and TBH Murray is surpassing my expectations. He cant do this all season so for me as with probably everyone there is one priority in Jan which is of course on the cards a stikerespecially with the service they are getting. Elsewhere we are pretty well covered Happy days

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Pascal Gross: The Summer's Best Bargain? >>> https://whisp.rs/2himwqE

Nowadays, £3million can barely buy you a Championship player.

In a transfer window which saw second-tier Middlesbrough buy Ashley Fletcher from West Ham United for £6.5million after the 21-year-old failed to score in the Premier League, it wouldn’t be expected to buy a player that could thrive at Premier League level for less than half the cost.

Yet, Brighton & Hove Albion spent £3million on Pascal Groß this summer from German side Ingolstadt.

He’s already been directly involved in seven goals – scoring two and making five further assists – in 11 appearances.​

Why not save yourself some time and just get a bot to constantly post footballwhispers links?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why not save yourself some time and just get a bot to constantly post footballwhispers links?
Probably not a good idea, the last time Bozza set up a simple algorithm to make his life easier we ended up with the 'person' going by the name of Bensgrandad.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
When we took the field in our first PL match with no less than four new recruits in the starting line-up, I feared for them and for us. What about the language barrier? The pace and physicality of the Premier League? Could the team spirit, forged in the white heat of two Championship promotion challenges, endure? Three months on it’s time to hold my hands up to Winstanley and his team. Five key summer signings and not a dud amongst them. I offer below a supporting argument for each.

1 Mathew Ryan – Short of admirers after letting Dunk’s own goal seemingly pass clean through his body and parrying Mahrez’s shot into the path of Okazaki, many were concerned for him when West Brom came calling with their legendary prowess at set pieces. That spectacular save from Gareth Barry’s piledriver was the turning point for our Aussie number 1 and he has not looked back since. I’m now convinced he is an upgrade on Stockdale and long since gave up wondering if Mäenpää might be worth a try. 7½ out of 10

29 Markus Suttner – We fought long and hard for our new left-back and it’s taken a while to see why. Positionally sound but slow to turn he totally lost Mahrez for Leicester’s early goal. However, he is steady in possession and crosses beautifully when he’s feeling adventurous. It seems that so far his most significant achievement has been to bring the best out of Bong. Underused at set pieces, I remain convinced he has a Pocognoli moment in him and hope I’m there when it happens. 6 out of 10

13 Pascal Groß – Our bargain-basement German playmaker his occupied more column inches in the national press than any other Brighton player this season. He is a fantasy league favourite for the simple reason that he delivers. He delivers crosses with either foot, he delivers excitement (often with his slo-mo but faultless Cruyff turns), he delivers assists and he delivered our first ever PL goal. He runs himself into the ground every game supporting Glenn or Tomer while maintaining the illusion that we have a five-man midfield. This man needs a song! 9 out of 10

19 José Heriberto Izquierdo Mena – Our upmarket Kaz is yet to settle in the way that the others have. Underwhelming in his first PL start at the Emirates he has not been afforded the luxury of a run of home games in which to settle. His pace, especially in support of his full-back, is sensational. The goal at West Ham will live long in the memory – however it will have been seen by every PL defender by now so let’s hope there is more to his game, including delivery from the byline with his left foot. 7 out of 10 (so far)

Well done to team Bloom, Barber and Winstanley for this quintet of excellent signings. Long may you, not I and my mates, oversee the Albion’s transfer budget. Now, about that striker!

Excellent post -hard to disagree with any of this.

Stumpy Tim

Tend to agree, though surely Sidwell would have come on as sub against Bournemouth and Everton when we were visibly tiring, and sitting deeper and deeper.
So you don't agree then!

There's simply no way Propper would have played 90 minutes of every game. No way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here