Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When did ‘under floodlights’ become a selling point ?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Never seen it done before at the Albion. Anybody bought tickets due to having lights shining on the pitch ? If so, what other things impress you ?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 16.29.42.png

From Argus site today!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I imagine those LED lights are going to be needed for every game at the Amex irrespective of kick-off time, now that the clocks have changed, until next Spring anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Haven't the lights been on for most (possibly: all) games already?

The u-23s have played under them as well.

I might not bother going now. Been there, seen those lights.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw them in all their glory for the Barnet game, and like the sun, you have to try not to look directly at them or even glance, or you get loads of blobs before your eyes for ages. There also seems to be some new ones in the corners of the north and south stand roofs.

I've long thought our lighting at the Amex was a bit DIMMER than elsewhere, ever since day 1 (well, night 1). Not any more though.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, they've been on for every game - for 4K/UltraHD broadcasts.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They were the only bright spot on what was a dull game of footy TBF!

It was a bit of a bore, and Barnet could easily have nicked a late equaliser.

Not sure I'd have hung around for another half an hour of that BILGE. What a waste of an evening. Loyalty points pocketed though, so job done.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It was a bit of a bore, and Barnet could easily have nicked a late equaliser.

Not sure I'd have hung around for another half an hour of that BILGE. What a waste of an evening. Loyalty points pocketed though, so job done.

Where I was sat in the EL, I was watching the Barnet Ultras giving the two fingers up in a comical sense, at least they enjoyed it!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Saw them in all their glory for the Barnet game, and like the sun, you have to try not to look directly at them or even glance, or you get loads of blobs before your eyes for ages.

In the second half of that game the Barnet keeper resorted to long kicks high into the air, putting the ball directly in line (from where I was sitting) with the floodlights. B******!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Do these new ones explode and pour molten metal onto the front couple of rows of the North Stand like the last ones did ?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Yes indeed!

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rld-champions-honved-molineux-hungary-wembley

We didn't have a tele back then - had to read all about it in the paper next day!

Thank you so much for your reply as it is nice to remember that a few others have recollection of some amnzing things then which are completely taken for granted 'now' My parents were fortunate to have a 12" black and white TV around the time of the Coronation so managed to see some of those early games on the ONE /B] TV channel which existed :lolol:

I have saved that Gruniad article for posterity so thank you again !

PS - A football match does seem to be so much more colourful and amazing than a three o'clock kick off on an early December/January fixture !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here