Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] A home electrics question - any experts there?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I have four spotlights running from a single switch, which I would like to be a dimmer. Unfortunately, only two of the lights are dimmable -the other two are new fittings and I stupidly didn't check when buying them. Here's the question: is it sufficient to buy dimmable LED bulbs for the fittings in question or do I have to buy new spotlights as well?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Pretty sure you only have to swap the bulbs for dimmable ones, if they are 240v. There is another caveat that I came across, swapping the switch for a normal dimmer switch had side effects if the bulbs are led. You have to get an led dimmable switch so that the lights don't flash occasionally. Strange how b&q sell dimmable led lights but not the switches, at least when I installed them a year or so ago.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have four spotlights running from a single switch, which I would like to be a dimmer. Unfortunately, only two of the lights are dimmable -the other two are new fittings and I stupidly didn't check when buying them. Here's the question: is it sufficient to buy dimmable LED bulbs for the fittings in question or do I have to buy new spotlights as well?
It depends.

What is the wattage of the two dimmable lights you have, and what will be the wattage of the new ones?
And what is the range of wattage of your dimmer switch?
Old dimmer switches have ranges up to a max of (for example) 250W, 400W, but they don't work on a low wattage bulb. They can work when several bulbs are used together though (because you add the wattages together).

So you might need a new dimmer switch, or new module for it. Or you might not.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Thanks everybody. You have taught me things I didn't know. I have now discovered that the non-dim bulbs can't be removed from the not-cheap fitting. This would have depressed me if I haven't also just discovered that you can click and collect two perfectly nice, small and discreet spotlights, complete with dimmable bulbs, from Screwfix for under £8.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here