Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Russell Crowe and Albion v Millwall

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm listening to Radio 6 currently, and Russell Crowe is on talking about various things.

Imagine my surprise when he mentioned Albion v Millwall and recording the crowd to use it for inspiration for a role.

I didn't catch all the detail, but I assume it was this story I found online elsewhere >>> http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/hot-guys/russell-crowe-actor-page2-69328.html#post1197961

"When he was preparing to play a skinhead in Romper Stomper – a key calling card for Hollywood – he wanted to meet real skinheads and to go to Wrexham where one side of his family originally came from. We got as far as Cardiff where we drank in a rough boozer, full of tattooed heavies – skinheads in all but name. He struck up a conversation with a couple of Neanderthals, drawing them out until they were spouting some spectacularly nasty racist garbage, and it was only later that I found out he’d been taping them.

We went back to Brighton to watch Brighton & Hove Albion in a play-off against Millwall. The match was ugly, the crowd uglier and to Crowe’s delight there was a pitch invasion. We stood in the middle of the Brighton fans celebrating, with Crowe recording every obscenity and chant so he could take it all back Down Under with him. It’s all in the preparation. "

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Fascinating stuff.
I see that the movie came out in 1992 (Thanks IMDB), So I assume that this was in the play-off on 19th May 1991, which we won 4-1?
Shirley his visit to the hallowed ground should have been enough for a preservation order on the Goldstone? If only we had known at the time. :down:

el punal

Fascinating stuff.
I see that the movie came out in 1992 (Thanks IMDB), So I assume that this was in the play-off on 19th May 1991, which we won 4-1?
Shirley his visit to the hallowed ground should have been enough for a preservation order on the Goldstone? If only we had known at the time. :down:

"At my signal unleash hell!" - that would have set the North Stand off. :D

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I went up to that with a Millwall supporter who ran a pub in Pevensey Bay. He took me to a pub .....
When I went to pay for the drinks the barman spotted my lovely Velcro fastening Albion wallet and said, "put that away son, I'll get these, don't get that out again'.
#CODNER

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Sounds like a film script in the making.

Russell The Hooligan Seagull staring Russell Crowe and a host of NSCs finest

Quotes

BG - Not bad, but can he play left back
Tier 3 fans - I've seen the film 8 times and still no loyalty points

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's a Leeds fan, why didn’t he just go to Elland Road if he wanted racism and nastiness?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
"We went back to Brighton to watch Brighton & Hove Albion in a play-off against Millwall. The match was ugly, the crowd uglier and to Crowe’s delight there was a pitch invasion. We stood in the middle of the Brighton fans celebrating, with Crowe recording every obscenity and chant so he could take it all back Down Under with him. It’s all in the preparation. "

Sounds like a scene from Gladiator, Lions Den and all that!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The match was ugly, the crowd uglier

Fair enough the crowd might've been ugly, but the match?

I have great memories of that day – Mark Barham lashing home an equaliser just before halftime, and then the incredible, almost surreal, start to the second half, when we seemed to score every other minute. I still have a mental image of glancing over to the Millwall fans as Robert Codner ran onto Mike Small's flick, and laughing as they visibly seethed with despair – you just knew he was about to slot home a fourth goal, it was a unforgettable 20 minutes of football.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India

I have great memories of that day – Mark Barham lashing home an equaliser just before halftime, and then the incredible, almost surreal, start to the second half, when we seemed to score every other minute. I still have a mental image of glancing over to the Millwall fans as Robert Codner ran onto Mike Small's flick, and laughing as they visibly seethed with despair – you just knew he was about to slot home a fourth goal, it was a unforgettable 20 minutes of football.

My best half of footie as a northstander.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I remember looking over at them and a bloke of about 60, in a long mac was struggling with a couple of stewards, trying to get at Codner, that made me laugh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As much as I already loved Micky Small, when he squared up to the Millwall fans (something nobody from Brighton has ever done before or since) he moved onto a whole new level of Albion hero.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I didn't remember pitch invasions - all I remember was the Millwall fans in the South Stand and them giving a load of racist abuse at Small and Codner so it pleased me greatly when they scored.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
"We went back to Brighton to watch Brighton & Hove Albion in a play-off against Millwall. The match was ugly, the crowd uglier and to Crowe’s delight there was a pitch invasion. We stood in the middle of the Brighton fans celebrating, with Crowe recording every obscenity and chant so he could take it all back Down Under with him. It’s all in the preparation. "

Sounds like a scene from Gladiator, Lions Den and all that!

Was there a pictch invasion at the 4-1 game? I can't remember one.

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here