Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tony Bloom's horses running thread

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Surely he must run before hand to stand a chance of entry ? expecting 13 horses to drop out is a little risky to say the least , what say NSC ? there's a lot at stake here , £3 e/w @ 20s to start .

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Can someone explain why Withold as favourite is not guarenteed a place. Also must have known so many horses have to drop out yet spends 75k getting there

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It does look like a bit of a gamble, but I guess that unlike most of us, TB can afford to gamble £75K and lose. On the other hand, when TB does gamble, somehow you don't really expect him to lose..........

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Can someone explain why Withold as favourite is not guarenteed a place. Also must have known so many horses have to drop out yet spends 75k getting there

His handicap mark isn't high enough so it needs to get higher. The made a mistake by not running it again over here as they though it's mark was high enough.

Stratum is 15/2 in the Ces Today with BFSB which is handy.....unless you can only get £3:angry: 7s with some other shysters or 9.2 on Botfair minus commission with no BOG.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Surely he must run before hand to stand a chance of entry ? expecting 13 horses to drop out is a little risky to say the least , what say NSC ? there's a lot at stake here , £3 e/w @ 20s to start .
If it is balloted out (entered but its handicap mark is too low so misses the cut), you will get you money back from the shysters.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

He's favourite because he'll have a big chance if he gets in *on that weight*, and it would have been good enough to get a run in, I think, about 9 of the last 10 years. He's also top of his bracket - ie. horses on that weight - in terms of prize money, so will be the first if if they get that far down.

The issue this year looks to be that the quality of the northern hemisphere challenge has gone up at least two notches. There are plenty of Group-class horses like Cliffs Of Moher & Cross Counter travelling, and they get in higher up the list than the handicapper Withhold.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
No money for Stratum yet

I think all the money has been put down already. Even though Stratum is 8 lb higher than for the Ebor he looks a nailed on first 8 horse. Will Hill offering 5th odds for first 8 so an e/w would seem to be a guaranteed money back bet at least. I have him with three others for a wee Lucky 15.

Eric the Red York 2.05
Western Australia Newmarket 2.25
Stratum Newmarket 3.40
Marie of Lyon Newmarket 4.50

TNBA

TTF

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
I think all the money has been put down already. Even though Stratum is 8 lb higher than for the Ebor he looks a nailed on first 8 horse. Will Hill offering 5th odds for first 8 so an e/w would seem to be a guaranteed money back bet at least. I have him with three others for a wee Lucky 15.

Eric the Red York 2.05
Western Australia Newmarket 2.25
Stratum Newmarket 3.40
Marie of Lyon Newmarket 4.50

TNBA

TTF

Stratum I think is off the same mark as the Ebor. 8lb higher than his Newbury win though... He would have gone very close in the Ebor but for a nightmare run up the rails. The extra distance will suit and he should get a much clearer run on a wider and straighter track...

Agree with you 100% - each way 8 places looks a guarantee. I’ve backed him to win though, Withhold was so impressive winning this for Tony last year and I think he’s got another very strong chance today too :albion2:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Stratum I think is off the same mark as the Ebor. 8lb higher than his Newbury win though... He would have gone very close in the Ebor but for a nightmare run up the rails. The extra distance will suit and he should get a much clearer run on a wider and straighter track...

Agree with you 100% - each way 8 places looks a guarantee. I’ve backed him to win though, Withhold was so impressive winning this for Tony last year and I think he’s got another very strong chance today too :albion2:

You are correct with the weight quote, I apologise for the error but it does in fact make the argument for Stratum even more cogent.

TNBA

TTF

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He's favourite because he'll have a big chance if he gets in *on that weight*, and it would have been good enough to get a run in, I think, about 9 of the last 10 years. He's also top of his bracket - ie. horses on that weight - in terms of prize money, so will be the first if if they get that far down.

The issue this year looks to be that the quality of the northern hemisphere challenge has gone up at least two notches. There are plenty of Group-class horses like Cliffs Of Moher & Cross Counter travelling, and they get in higher up the list than the handicapper Withhold.

The getting a horse to a winnable mark and leaving it in its box until the big day has served Bloom well not least with Withhold in the Cesarewitch last year. Can't help but think they've got it wrong for the MC as the higher class horses are having a crack and standing thier ground.

Cheltenham is a classic example where it gets harder and harder to win or even get in, in handicap company to the extent I think Pipe said you need a graded horse to win anything. It getting harder to land a 'touch' in the big ones and this is another example. Doesn't help from a punting perspective either.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Hamada, one of the Godolphin entries for MC, has been put down after suffering an injury.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

Eric the RedYork2.05
Western AustraliaNewmarket2.25
StratumNewmarket3.40
Marie of LyonNewmarket4.50

TNBA

TTF

Lucky 15 on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
The getting a horse to a winnable mark and leaving it in its box until the big day has served Bloom well not least with Withhold in the Cesarewitch last year. Can't help but think they've got it wrong for the MC as the higher class horses are having a crack and standing thier ground.

Cheltenham is a classic example where it gets harder and harder to win or even get in, in handicap company to the extent I think Pipe said you need a graded horse to win anything. It getting harder to land a 'touch' in the big ones and this is another example. Doesn't help from a punting perspective either.

Very true, though the rise in quality and quantity in this year's MC seems unusually steep. Can't have been many MC runners over the years that finished 2nd in the Derby, beaten less than a length.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Short enough that and now only 6/1. It might drift a bit over the next 24 hours and then be smashed up on the day. Winston rode a terrible race in the Ebor as he went up the rail and a non-existent gap.

This. It's all about the jockey not being a dick on the day. Tho to be fair he's plenty in credit overall for owner TB, which must represent the jockey's best shot at a major pay day BY FAR

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Good news is that anybody has backed Stratum iv'e left it alone and done Eye of The Storm at a huge price

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Tried to leave it alone after taking a hit last time but Tony is still well in credit, it will be savers coffee and not costa this week if it doesn’t come in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here