Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Academy

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We had John Morling the Albion Academy Manager on the show this week, and he came in to tell us about the setup at Lancing, and across Sussex and Surrey.

For me, this was a genuinely fascinating show as I had little idea as to how the whole set up works, and John gave us great insights. What he said afterwards (an hour really is a short space of time to let everyone know things) was to give an insight as to how a player can make it from U23 to senior level.

He said him and Chris Hughton and the senior management team have regular meetings, and at certain times Chris will ask John if there is anyone he believes ready to make the step up. If John suggests someone, they will be invited to train with the first team. When - and only when - Chris implicitly trusts them to do exactly what he wants them to do, he will consider them for the first team - of which the bench is usually the next step, when there's a space available.

For example, one player who has made the step up to the senior side 'would have trained 30 or 40 times with the first team squad' before being considered by Chris. It's not just a case of them being a decent footballer - it is totally the case that Chris has to trust them (he used that word deliberately) to do his given job(s).

So whenever anyone says '...why not try X, Y or Z player from the U23 team?', the answer is they will do if and when they are ready - not before. Except in a dire emergency.

Anyway, you can hear the show here... https://audioboom.com/posts/6476704...ith-guest-albion-academy-manager-john-morling

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
On the other hand, Tottenham had no options so they threw in Harry Kane who had been pretty poor in his loan spells away from the club.

Admittedly, for every Harry Kane there's a Jon Obika.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On the other hand, Tottenham had no options so they threw in Harry Kane who had been pretty poor in his loan spells away from the club.

Admittedly, for every Harry Kane there's a Jon Obika.

As John explains on the show, the parent club isn't going to necessarily judge a given player at their loan club by what they've done while there. They know what they can do - they're there mostly to gain experience of being in amongst the big boys.

For example, Lewis Dunk played only twice while on loan at Bristol City - proving what? Bugger all, in reality.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We had John Morling the Albion Academy Manager on the show this week, and he came in to tell us about the setup at Lancing, and across Sussex and Surrey.

For me, this was a genuinely fascinating show as I had little idea as to how the whole set up works, and John gave us great insights. What he said afterwards (an hour really is a short space of time to let everyone know things) was to give an insight as to how a player can make it from U23 to senior level.

He said him and Chris Hughton and the senior management team have regular meetings, and at certain times Chris will ask John if there is anyone he believes ready to make the step up. If John suggests someone, they will be invited to train with the first team. When - and only when - Chris implicitly trusts them to do exactly what he wants them to do, he will consider them for the first team - of which the bench is usually the next step, when there's a space available.

For example, one player who has made the step up to the senior side 'would have trained 30 or 40 times with the first team squad' before being considered by Chris. It's not just a case of them being a decent footballer - it is totally the case that Chris has to trust them (he used that word deliberately) to do his given job(s).

So whenever anyone says '...why not try X, Y or Z player from the U23 team?', the answer is they will do if and when they are ready - not before. Except in a dire emergency.

Anyway, you can hear the show here... https://audioboom.com/posts/6476704...ith-guest-albion-academy-manager-john-morling

He's a very interesting guy to speak to :thumbsup:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I really love that TB etc.. have done with the Academy and how they work with CH etc... its all part of why I think we have a half decent chance to become and stay and established mid table Prem side.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He's a very interesting guy to speak to :thumbsup:

I had a rare and privileged chance to get a behind the scenes tour of the academy a while ago.
I also met the team behind the education, media, welfare, AITC of the youngsters coming through.
When talking to him, as you have mentioned, you get an educated brief of what goes on behind the scenes.

I have been re educated as a fan :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Blimey - no wonder being a member of the Albion Academy is like the football equivalent of being in the witness protection programme.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had a rare and privileged chance to get a behind the scenes tour of the academy a while ago.
I also met the team behind the education, media, welfare, AITC of the youngsters coming through.
When talking to him, as you have mentioned, you get an educated brief of what goes on behind the scenes.

I have been re educated as a fan :)

I was chatting to a former player about this. He wasn’t 100% behind everything they do. Was particularly scathing about how he was at Lancing the morning after one of the teams had been soundly beaten the night before, and that the players were allowed to come in later, and then were subject to the horrors of a decent breakfast and a nice massage.

‘Should have been told to put their ****ing boots on and be sent for a 10 mile run, we would have been’

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here