Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Zachary Cox died working on Khalifa International Stadium in Qatar

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A construction worker fell to his death working on a football stadium set to host the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Zachary Cox, 40, from Hove, was working at height on a suspended catwalk platform at the Khalifa International Stadium in Doha.

A hoist failed and the platform dropped from beneath him. Mr Cox’s safety harness broke during the fall, causing him to plunge to his death.

An inquest was opened into his death in Brighton yesterday but had to be adjourned. However, senior coroner*Veronica Hamilton-Deeley*slammed the Qatari authorities for their lack of cooperation in giving her access to information to determine how he died."

Blood on their hands..

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/09/27/qatar-take-urgent-action-protect-construction-workers

"Authorities also should investigate the causes of migrant worker deaths, regularly make public data on such deaths, and use the information to devise appropriate public health policies, Human Rights Watch said. In 2013, health authorities reported 520 such deaths of workers from Bangladesh, India, and Nepal in 2012, of whom 385, or 74 percent, died from unexplained causes. Qatari public health officials have not responded to requests for information about the overall number and causes of deaths of migrant workers since 2012."

scum.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
This whole bid is disgusting. You can say what you want about the money in club soccer, but the international game is ****ed now, too. I'd rather sink my money into the huge premium I pay on shipping buying Brighton merchandise than continue to support the corruption and lack of accountability to anything but the bottom line. People have died over a corrupt World Cup bid, and FIFA doesn't care enough to hold the host country to basic safety standards in relation to the event.

Sorry for your community's loss.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Qatar World Cup should be be boycotted by all. It is a disgrace. Not just the blatant corruption, but what also amounts to indentured slavery to make it happen.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Qatar World Cup should be be boycotted by all. It is a disgrace. Not just the blatant corruption, but what also amounts to indentured slavery to make it happen.

We won't though, but we should

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If there was one thing to lay bare the utter moral bankruptcy of World Football, the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar is it

Spot on. For the Qataris (and most of the rest of the Middle East) bribery is a way of life and the thought that the bid was not tainted by back-handers is just not believable. I would support a move for England to boycott the tournament.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spot on. For the Qataris (and most of the rest of the Middle East) bribery is a way of life and the thought that the bid was not tainted by back-handers is just not believable. I would support a move for England to boycott the tournament.

Not just the middle East. The masters of the art are Switzerland (bankers in every sense). I can't understand how anything agreed under Blatter should be allowed to stand. The way it works is banana republics and Islamic or communist dictatorships steal state money to bribe FIFA officials (some of whom are one and the same), then use virtual slave labour to build vanity project stadia to decorate a TV money fiesta that justifies the exercise. I hav said it before and will say it again. The civilised world that uses the rule of law and democracy, and has a proper domestic football infrastructure, should stick two fingers up to FIFA and form its own federation, and the third world and other aspiring football nations can queue up to join, with stringent rules. How can we hold a WC somwhere where women can't vote, and a stone age load of old bollocks is used to govern the laws? I have nothing against Islam or Christianity as a private and personal load of old bollocks, but as a code for running a nation, **** off. And **** off to the idea of handing over a world cup to such corrupt and deluded ********s.

That said, I will watch England vs Germany this evening. Albeit largely in the hope the ludicrous decision of the soppy manager to pick people he's been hot housing rather than selecting Lewis Dunk will blow up in his face with the Germans spanking our central 'defence' (McGuire - do me a flavour). Southgate, the shitter.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/09/27/qatar-take-urgent-action-protect-construction-workers

"Authorities also should investigate the causes of migrant worker deaths, regularly make public data on such deaths, and use the information to devise appropriate public health policies, Human Rights Watch said. In 2013, health authorities reported 520 such deaths of workers from Bangladesh, India, and Nepal in 2012, of whom 385, or 74 percent, died from unexplained causes. Qatari public health officials have not responded to requests for information about the overall number and causes of deaths of migrant workers since 2012."

scum.

520 ?

Bloody hell.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
All the major nations should boycott Qatar, organise their own World Cup in summer in the USA (who came second in the voting) and use it as the basis for a new alternative to the corruption of Fifa.

Last edited:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove

England will not boycott The Qatari WC due to the fact that somewhere along the line British businesses will have their fingers in the pies! 5000 deaths, many wars have been started for less.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Official number of deaths in the constriction of the Empire State building 1929-1931?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
How many righteous posters on here have been to, or would go to Dubai for a luxury break/stop over? Thousands and thousands of migrant workers from India, Pakistan, Indonesia and beyond were lured into slave labour, had their passports confiscated, worked in horrendous conditions so the world could have its playground. The mass deaths and human rights violations went unreported to global organisations, and were barely reported in the media. The businesses and officials on the make in Dubai, Qatar, and similar states are scum.

I feel for the family & friends of the local man that sadly lost his life, but this loss is a drop in the ocean of tears shed by those who had no choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here