Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Drinking before game query

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm coming to the Liverpool game with a scouse mate so we want a chance to have a drink beforehand. It's the first time I've been with an away supporter so I'm trying to work out what's best to do. As I live near the Amex, I don't really want to come into town but need to know what the options are.

How early does Dick's Bar fill up on Saturdays? Would we get in if we got there at 1.30? And how strict is the Swan on away supporters? He's not likely to be in colours so it wouldn't be obvious that he's a red but do they check tickets?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm coming to the Liverpool game with a scouse mate so we want a chance to have a drink beforehand. It's the first time I've been with an away supporter so I'm trying to work out what's best to do. As I live near the Amex, I don't really want to come into town but need to know what the options are.

How early does Dick's Bar fill up on Saturdays? Would we get in if we got there at 1.30? And how strict is the Swan on away supporters? He's not likely to be in colours so it wouldn't be obvious that he's a red but do they check tickets?

3pm kick off at home to Liverpool, Dick's will have a queue by 1.30pm. Swan are pretty flexible usually, although I must admit not having gone there prior to a high profile fixture.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
The turnstiles opened at one pm for the last 3pm Kick off (West Brom) so I guess Dicks will be open from about the same time. Turn up at one and you will have few issues getting Into dicks I would have thought.

Depending on the weather, if it is good then I’d start in Dicks for an hour or so and then when it gets busy (Making sure I’d emptied my bladder as there are no outside bogs) move outside to drink. soaking in the atmosphere as it builds. Also checking out what the band on the bandstand are like, they normally start about 1.30ish.

As long as he's not a cock about being a Liverpool fan then i'd have thought he'd get into Dicks OK.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The turnstiles opened at one pm for the last 3pm Kick off (West Brom) so I guess Dicks will be open from about the same time. Turn up at one and you will have few issues getting Into dicks I would have thought.

Dick's opens at midday for a 3pm kick-off, or has in the past anyway. As said above, by 1:30 you'll be in a "one in one out" queue.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
The grassy Knoll/Hill outside the East stand gets the sunshine. I have seen a few people with full on picnics up there. If it is dry and you want to do it on the cheep that is a superb option. Downside, again, no outside bogs to empty the old bladder.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for the advice: drinking outside does sound pleasant but it will be December ...

But if we want Dick's we'd need to turn up before 1.00 seems to be the consensus.

And no, he won't be in a shell suit. He's the same age as I am, so a gentleman of, er, rather mature years ... with the dress sense to match

Clacker kid

Banned
Aug 12, 2017
Thanks for the advice: drinking outside does sound pleasant but it will be December ...

But if we want Dick's we'd need to turn up before 1.00 seems to be the consensus.

And no, he won't be in a shell suit. He's the same age as I am, so a gentleman of, er, rather mature years ... with the dress sense to match

If he is from Liverpool December in Brighton really shouldn't bother him.

Just don't leave him unattended near any car parks.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Never seen Swan checking tickets and as long as he's not in colours it'll be no problem.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham

Ahhh, so shirt, tie, Adidas tracky bottoms and shiny brogues it is then.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Have you considered the Bevy? A 5 min walk from Mithras House P&R to the pub. It is also right on the 49 bus route which takes you to the end of Bolney/HallandRoad [a 10min walk to stadium] or can pre-book on the minibus they run from there to stadium on match days.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Have you considered the Bevy? A 5 min walk from Mithras House P&R to the pub. It is also right on the 49 bus route which takes you to the end of Bolney/HallandRoad [a 10min walk to stadium] or can pre-book on the minibus they run from there to stadium on match days.

Yes, that thought struck me as soon as I saw the time we'd need to be in Dick's. The Bevy is a good option and one he can get to from the station very easily. Think I'll do that

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was going to suggest that you entertain in your own home pre match if you are close to the Amex, but then remembered he is a Mickey Mouser. Still, you could put all your valuables in the loft?

Or perhaps the Brighton fan stereotype would mean he is keen not to be alone with you in your house?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Indeed....Who can forget when you brought along your Everton supporting friend. :lolol:

Old-Man-In-Women-Dress-Funny-Picture.jpg

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Never seen Swan checking tickets and as long as he's not in colours it'll be no problem.

Few away fans are ware that the Swan positively welcomes visitors from most clubs (except, eg, Palace, Millwall, Cardiff, Leeds). They have occasionally asked to see tickets, but I'd guess your friend should be okay if with you. But get there early and give it a go - it's your only chance of experiencing an old-school pre-match pub atmosphere.within 3 miles of the Amex.

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012
Few away fans are ware that the Swan positively welcomes visitors from most clubs (except, eg, Palace, Millwall, Cardiff, Leeds). They have occasionally asked to see tickets, but I'd guess your friend should be okay if with you. But get there early and give it a go - it's your only chance of experiencing an old-school pre-match pub atmosphere.within 3 miles of the Amex.

The Swan certainly didn't welcome any Everton fans. I was there for a pint and a burger before the Everton game and three or four toffees arrived, only to be turned away. I was quite surprised as the Swan is usually pretty tolerant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here