Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Remembrance Day Ypres and Muster Green

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I going the first time to Ypres at this time of year tomorrow and on Sunday I will attending The parade on Sunday at Muster Green Haywards Heath. It seems a small thing to do in respect of all the men & women and horses that died or injured in two horrific wars.
Are you going to your local parade.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.png

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I will be at my church on Sunday, but going to the Naval war memorial tomorrow, in Portsmouth, for a service at 10.45.

I marched past the Cenotaph in Whitehall last year.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I going the first time to Ypres at this time of year tomorrow and on Sunday I will attending The parade on Sunday at Muster Green Haywards Heath. It seems a small thing to do in respect of all the men & women and horses that died or injured in two horrific wars.
Are you going to your local parade.

Yes, we go to the service in Alexandra Park here in Hastings. Always well attended. I can thoroughly recommend Ypres - eat on the square first as the restaurants all know that you will want to leave for the ceremony, and the walk is only 5 minutes to the Menin Gate. The only downside is that it could be very full this coming weekend, and to get to the front and thus see everything, you might have to be there early. The actual gate with all the names is very moving. If you are In Ypres for longer, then don't forget to go into the museum, and nearby Tyne Cot cemetery near the village of Paeschendale. There is also a private museum on the Menin Road, which is well worth a visit and very reasonably priced. Hope this helps and enjoy your visit.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes, we go to the service in Alexandra Park here in Hastings. Always well attended. I can thoroughly recommend Ypres - eat on the square first as the restaurants all know that you will want to leave for the ceremony, and the walk is only 5 minutes to the Menin Gate. The only downside is that it could be very full this coming weekend, and to get to the front and thus see everything, you might have to be there early. The actual gate with all the names is very moving. If you are In Ypres for longer, then don't forget to go into the museum, and nearby Tyne Cot cemetery near the village of Paeschendale. There is also a private museum on the Menin Road, which is well worth a visit and very reasonably priced. Hope this helps and enjoy your visit.
Thanks for the advice

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Local(ish) church for me. Unfortunately there is now a tradition of one of my sons (I have two who play the trumpet/cornet) playing the Last Post at the war memorial, which is terrifying for a 10 year old (and his parents) with cold fingers and 100 people watching. Still, it's character building and the representatives from the armed forces (and the local people) are very kind!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Local(ish) church for me. Unfortunately there is now a tradition of one of my sons (I have two who play the trumpet/cornet) playing the Last Post at the war memorial, which is terrifying for a 10 year old (and his parents) with cold fingers and 100 people watching. Still, it's character building and the representatives from the armed forces (and the local people) are very kind!
the last post is the most emotional part for me makes my hair stand on the back of my neck no pressure

theboybilly

I went tot he Silent City Meets Living City at Tyne Cot cemetary three weeks ago. Very moving although a little quirky with the organisation. I love the town of Ypres, it truly is a lovely place to visit. So much respect is still paid by the locals to the fallen on both sides -that is something that I find astonishing 100 years later. If you've never been please go - you won't regret it. And as further inducement the beers are wonderful. It was just about the only thing I could do that weekend that would make missing the Everton game worthwhile.
As an aside, standing at the graves immediately behind us were a group of Belgians of which the lads were mad keen Club Bruges fans - we spoke of football and on finding that I was an Albion supporter they were quick to extoll the virtues of Maty Ryan and Jose Izquierdo. Maty especially came in for high praise

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
This is the first year that my 6 year old has really grasped the meaning behind Remembrance Day and asking a lot of questions, so I'd like to take him to a service on Sunday.

We're in Fiveways (Brighton) does anyone know of a good service nearby or is the Old Steine the only option?
Thanks!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The Old Steine is the main one, but there is a smaller one at Rottingdean, where some of the Blind Veterans will be. It might be easier to take him there.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
For the first time in many years I am staying local. I usually march in London. My daughter is on parade with the Guides. She will be wearing miniature copies of my medals. I will be dusting off my blazer, medals and tie. The only day of the year I ever wear a tie. Will be very emotional.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yesterday I was near Westminster Abbey when they had silence at 11am - it is incredibly moving. It is impossible not to get emotional walking through the yard with the thousands of small crosses with the names lost regiments.

It makes me want to weep how people like Farage politicise rememberance Sunday despite giving a speech at a new nazi event. It is absolutely dreadful. My dad was in the navy and my Aunty was in the army and both of them hate the "poppy police".

My kids are 7,7 and 9 now so they are old enough to visit some of the key places during the wars. I am looking forward to taking them because they were fascinated to hear about what happened off slapton sands in the dday preparations.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here